Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Clutch - number of plates?
uberf1end

posted on 9/4/03 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Clutch - number of plates?

I have just bought new friction plates for my clutch. They are the EBC ones which, having read about now, I realise I probably shouldn't have bothered!.

There are 8 in the box - the end one (with larger internal diameter) and 7 other identical ones.

Three questions - my engine is a 919 and I do not seem to be able to get a definitive answer as to how many friction plates there should be!
Some people have told me that there should be 10 (1 different, 9 identical), some say there should be a total of 9 but I have only 8!!! Any ideas??

Also, I haven't looked at the plain plates (and would rather not until I actually change them at the weekend) but the Haynes implies that it is unlikely I will need to replace these as well as the friction plates. Obviously, the Honda garage recommends I change all the plates together - is this likely to be necessary? because they want about £7 PER PLATE

Finally, the 'instructions' on the friction plates tell me I should soak them in oil, the Haynes says 'apply a coating of oil'. Which is it?

Incidentally, I bought the uprated clutch springs from TTS and they are identical in every way (including the packaging) to the ones I got from Fisher with the EBC plates...intriguing.

Any help much appreciated.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 9/4/03 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have just bought new friction plates for my clutch. They are the EBC ones which, having read about now, I realise I probably shouldn't have bothered!.

Agree'd I'd send em back if you can and get Honda or Barnet ones, people on the Yahoo list who've used them say they can start slipping within a few hundred miles, though it is possible that this is/was due to the EBC springs that they do/did supply.

There are 8 in the box - the end one (with larger internal diameter) and 7 other identical ones.
Three questions - my engine is a 919 and I do not seem to be able to get a definitive answer as to how many friction plates there should be! Some people have told me that there should be 10 (1 different, 9 identical), some say there should be a total of 9 but I have only 8!!! Any ideas??

My '99 RRX 919 has 8 friction plates in total, the 6 middle ones are the same, the two end ones are different, and different to each other if you see what I mean (3 part numbers in all). It sounds like you have the inner one with the increased internal diameter, and the middle ones, but a regular outer one. The only difference with the outer one is that it slots into the basket in a different way, so has slightly different locating lugs, so have a close look and see as at first glance they may all look the same (take note of the position when you dismantle the old one, I only realised once Id bolted it back together and so had to dismantle again!)

Also, I haven't looked at the plain plates (and would rather not until I actually change them at the weekend) but the Haynes implies that it is unlikely I will need to replace these as well as the friction plates. Obviously, the Honda garage recommends I change all the plates together - is this likely to be necessary? because they want about £7 PER PLATE

The steel plates may need replacing, may not. If the clutch has been slipping a lot and they have over heated, they will be very "blued" and may also be warped. The easiest way to check warpage is to stack em up together and look for any gaps. If they are lightly blued then a bit of emery paper will bring them back up OK, but if its severe then it might be best to replace them.

Finally, the 'instructions' on the friction plates tell me I should soak them in oil, the Haynes says 'apply a coating of oil'. Which is it?

If EBC recommend soaking them then I guess thats the way to go, but with the Honda frictions, the only real reason to put a smear of oil on them is so that they dont stick to the steel plates when you initially put it all together, which can damage the surface before you've even used it properly.

Incidentally, I bought the uprated clutch springs from TTS and they are identical in every way (including the packaging) to the ones I got from Fisher with the EBC plates...intriguing.

Yep Ive heard that, the TTS ones have always been highly commended but the EBC ones have been known to squash/shorten very quickly and cause slip, so either the TTS reputation is unfounded ( though Ive had some in mine for a year with no problems), or EBC have started shipping those springs with their clutch kits.

HTH
Chris

uberf1end

posted on 9/4/03 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Chris, comprehensive as usual.

I have done some further research during the day and a friend of mine who works for a hillclimb team has a 919 in bits in the workshop at the moment and he's confirmed that his has 10 friction plates...it seems there are real differences in the 919's.

Re-read my Haynes and this confirmed what you say about the outer plate being different to the middle ones...but only on the 98 onwards. Pre-98 it did still fit into the basket differently but it was the same as all the other middle ones...

Uncharacteristically inefficient of our japanese friends to change things so often!

Still, at least I'll know which I have after the weekend!
(My engine is stolen/recovered with the engine number crudely removed...won't be making that mistake again!)

rgds
tom

ChrisGamlin

posted on 9/4/03 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Probably too comprehensive, was bored at work
I didnt know the 96/97 engine was different clutch wise though, weird why they kept on changing it.

Chris

uberf1end

posted on 10/4/03 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
You can never be too comprehensive for a newbie like me...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.