Author: Subject: r1 sump gasket needed
ruskino80

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
r1 sump gasket needed

anyone know who sells sump gaskets 03 5pw r1
thanks

JoelP

posted on 9/8/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
i used a sheet of gasket paper to make one for my zx9. Total waste of time, took bloody hours. Next time im off to the main dealer!
skydivepaul

posted on 9/8/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
dont bother with the yamaha gaskets, i use hermetite instant silicone gasket for all the bits on my R1 engine, sump, clutch cover, generator cover etc. works great, just make sure youremove all treaces of the old gaskets first.
oh and its costs about £3.00 for a tube, you should be able to do about 20 sumps with it.

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

ChrisGamlin

posted on 9/8/06 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
You need to be VERY careful using silicone gasket like that, especially around areas that seal oil because you can never really get it on even/thin enough to stop it squeezing out between the joints when you bolt it all back together, so you get lots of lovely lumps of cured silicone washing down into the oil that can start to clog up the pickup.
Ive seen a friend's ZX9 pickup after he used instant gasket (sparingly in his words) and there was a significant amount of silicone debris that found its way into pickup, so for the few quid it costs for a gasket I wouldnt risk it personally.

cheers

Chris

Coose

posted on 10/8/06 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Go to your local Yamaha dealer and quote part no. 5LV-13414-00-00. It'll only be a few quid.

I REALLY wouldn't use silicone, except on the crank case halves where I would use Yamaha Bond (not cheap but excellent stuff) for reasons already mentioned. I have know big-end failure on engines where what was a sparing amount of sealant has squashed out of a joint and has blocked oilways.

And when you do use it, it needs to be applied so thinly that you can see through it....

Spin 'er off Well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.