Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 fueling
smart51

posted on 24/11/06 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
R1 fueling

I've just fitted my "new" R1 engine. Its lovely. It starts much more easily than the old lump, though it sounds a bit more sort of rattly or exhausty. It pulls better at low speed and rev up quite nicely. However, it stumbles a bit between 6000 and 7500 at full throttle. Above this, below this and at lesser throttle inputs its just fine. The problem isn't too bad and I guess it just needs tweaking. The question is which way?

I have a TTS jetting kit fitted and have the smallest of the 3 main jet sizes fitted (140 I think) with the needles set at their richest setting. This suited the old engine fine. How do I tell if I'm runing a bit rich or a bit lean at full load? (without going to a dyno)

nitram38

posted on 24/11/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think that it is dyno or a decent lambda sensor and gauge.
smart51

posted on 25/11/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
A rolling road will have to wait. After spending £600 on a new engine SWIMBO will object. She begruded me spending money on the new lump quite a lot.

So I've tried all 3 main jet sizes supplied by TTS. the 144s and 150s are slightly better than the 140s and will run at upto 80% throttle from 6000 - 9000 RPM and at 100% everywhere else. Given that it's fine from 0 - 75% throttle, I assume that the idle mixture and needle settings are not the problem. So what can cause the stammering at 100% throttle at 6000 - 9000 RPM?

[Edited on 25-11-2006 by smart51]

nitram38

posted on 25/11/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Let her know that I bought an 05 injected engine (700 miles) for £1850.
Tell her that you economised at £600 and a £200 dyno session is still less than mine!
I have also added a power commander and barnett clutch plus a veypor |V2 dash for another £500.
And when it is built I will still have to add in the dyno or a lambda set up.................

[Edited on 25/11/2006 by nitram38]

Coose

posted on 25/11/06 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm.... If it's the same TTS kit as mine I use the 144 mains and have the needles on the third notch and it carburates beautifully! It's worth a try as it's free!

Spin 'er off Well...

jimgiblett

posted on 26/11/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
144 or 150 jets worked well with my old R1 motor. The 150s with a straight through can the 144s with a baffled R1 can. Still had a bit of a flat spot at 4-5k but not bad at all.

As Coose says try this first as its free.

- Jim

smart51

posted on 26/11/06 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Tried 144s with the needles 2 grooves from the richest setting. Even worse than before. Then rememberd to put goo in the pilot air jets. I took this off on my old engine as it crucified it. Quite a bit better. It now grumbles between 9000 and 10000 at more than 80% throttle. A bit more tinkering should sort it.

I also haven't blocked up one of the two holes on the each of the slides. Does anyone know what this does. It would appear to slow the rate at which the slide travels but not alter how fat it travels. why would I want to do this?

nitram38

posted on 26/11/06 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
That is why I have gone the injection/power commander route. One map for emmissions, one for road and another for track (hopefully).
smart51

posted on 27/11/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Another day another test. 144 mains, 2nd groove from richest just like the instructions say. Fine from 5000 upwards at all throttle inputs. Introduced another problem from 3500 - 4500 at full throttle. It growls loudly but hardly pulls. Once past 4500, its up and away.

Don't buy a carbed engine, buy FI. At least the setting at one revs doesn't affect the others.

Coose

posted on 27/11/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Block the air bleed holes (use cocktail sticks if you don't want to make it permanent) and also one hole on each slide. Needles want to be on either the 2nd or 3rd groove from the top and try 144 mains. If this doesn't work your exhaust is pants!

[Edited on 27/11/06 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

smart51

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Two or three clips from the top? Is that the lean end or the rich end. I'm never sure which end is the top. I've tried the 2nd and 3rd from the rich end so far.

I've blocked off the main air jet holes with silicone for now. I'll make it more permenant when I've got it all 100%

Coose

posted on 28/11/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
The top is the end opposite to the pointy end. The top groove is the leanest, the bottom the richest. If you "raise" the needles you make it richer.

Spin 'er off Well...

smart51

posted on 28/11/06 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Results with 144 mains and all apropriate holes blocked.

bottom clip (richest) judders from 3500 - 4500 at 100% throttle. OK at 80%. Also very slight judder from 9000- 10000 and 11000 - 12000 at 100% throttle

2nd bottom clip. judders from 3500 - 4500 at 100% throttle. OK at 80%.

3rd bottom clip. judders from 9000 - 10000 at 100%. OK at 80%

4th from bottom (3rd from top). Undrivable. no pull at all above 20% throttle or 3000 RPM.

So 2nd richest clip is best with 144 mains. Not good enough though. Do I try a richer or leaner main next? Or something else?

tks

posted on 28/11/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

how is the sparking system??

check your sparking system!!

its easy to trowaway a engine when not haveing it right.

Earth all the coils!!, Check feed lines for breaks etc. etc..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

jimgiblett

posted on 29/11/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried the 150s and clip 3?

Cheers

Jim

smart51

posted on 29/11/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Tried 150s with 2nd and 3rd richest clips. Results are the same as 144s with the richest clip.

I measured the fuel level in one of the carbs (only had time for 1) it is much too high. This won't help a bit so that's the next job.

Coose

posted on 30/11/06 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
When you say 'judder', do you mean it misfires?

Are your carbs balanced? If one is miles out that won't help.....

Are all of the balancing bungs fitted, and have you blanked off the vacuum tap/AIS inlet just below the carbs on the far left (sprocket side)?

[Edited on 30/11/06 by Coose]

[Edited on 30/11/06 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

smart51

posted on 30/11/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
By judder I mean it pulls then it doesn't then it does then it doesn't severl times per second. Is that a misfire?

The carbs are balanced.

There are screws fitted and sealed in the balanceing holes.

Is AIS fitted to 2000 - 2001 engines? Mine's a 98 / 99. Is there a vacuum take off? I haven't noticed one.

[Edited on 30-11-2006 by smart51]

Coose

posted on 30/11/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the AIS is '00-'01 motors so yours won't have it. But, underneath the sprocket-end carb in the same place as the other balancing plugs is a nipple where the vacuum tap would connect - have you blanked that also? A piece of rubber hose with a bolt pushed in (and wired in place) works for me!

Spin 'er off Well...

Coose

posted on 30/11/06 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just wondering, did it carburate ok before you took out the original motor to be destroyed, sorry I mean to have the gearbox 'fixed'? I remember that you had issues with it, but did you resolve them?

If so, nothing should have changed between then and now. Is it something else like a blocked fuel tank or float bowl breather? It may sound like I'm clutching at straws, but without seeing what's happening it's difficult to suggest.....

Spin 'er off Well...

smart51

posted on 30/11/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'll check the vacuum thing tomorrow.

The old engine did carburate ok but with 140 mains and the richest needle clip. I think it had a compression problem for as long as I had it. The new engine pulls a whole lot better above 9000, especially at motorway speeds. I'm thinking that the carb jetting was set to match the old lump.

Anyway, I've managed to set the fuel height a bit lower. It is barely better on 150s + 3rd richest clip, but I feel that the 150s are too rich. I'll try the best settings of the 144s tomorrow to see how it is on that.

TimC

posted on 1/12/06 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Col

With all this time your spending on the fuelling - why not cut some lawns, wash some cars and earn some extra cash to get it on a dyno?

TTS transformed my MK.
TC

chockymonster

posted on 1/12/06 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
because his dearest will remove something quite precious to him

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 1/12/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Surely not if he earns the extra cash...?

smart51

posted on 1/12/06 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
That would be a whole other can of worms. Just don't go there.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.