Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9 electrical problems
Alistair

posted on 22/6/03 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9 electrical problems

got a ZX9R C engine yesterday and am trying to get it running before the warranty runs out. I need to get an oil filter and some oil before I run it, but was trying to make sure it turned over and wasn't seized up.
When the starter button on the switch gear is pressed the fuel pump starts to work but the starter dosn't. When I short the terminals accross the solenoid it works.
Can anyone suggest why it won't work from the switch?

Brooky

posted on 22/6/03 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of bike engines have anti theft devices built into the ignition switch.
You may have to earth one or two of the wires coming from the ecu, do a search in the forums and see what there is.

Wadders

posted on 22/6/03 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
If your using the standard bike loom it could be either the sidestand switch or because the engine is in gear.
If your stuck i'll dig out the manual and suss the wire colours out for you.
let me know.

Wadders

i]Originally posted by Alistair
got a ZX9R C engine yesterday and am trying to get it running before the warranty runs out. I need to get an oil filter and some oil before I run it, but was trying to make sure it turned over and wasn't seized up.
When the starter button on the switch gear is pressed the fuel pump starts to work but the starter dosn't. When I short the terminals accross the solenoid it works.
Can anyone suggest why it won't work from the switch?

Alistair

posted on 22/6/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Wadders

engine is in neutral. I don't know about the side stand switch. what does the plug look like that clips onto it? I have a plug which a don't know where to put. It is black and has two terminals. It is shaped similarily to the plug that connects from the loom to the fuel pump. could this be it?
Am I correct in the assumption that all the plugs are slightly different in shape and therefore cannot be wrongly plugged together, only to the corresponding plug.

Also, how many pipes go to the radiator? I havn't got one yet but figure I won't need it just to check the engine runs for a few seconds. There are the two big water pipes, but also smaller ones such as the ones that come out from where the oil filter attatches. One goes to the water pump, where does the other go.

Bought the engine as a 'good runner' and got a box of bits

Any help is greatly appreciated

Wadders

posted on 22/6/03 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry,i'm not sure about the shape of the sidestand switch plug, but the wires are black/yellow and green/white, they will need to be joined for the starter to turn over. For the engine to actually fire up , you need to take a live feed through a 100ohm resistor to the grey wire coming out of the ecu (unless you have the bikes ignition barrel and key).
The spare 1/2" cooling pipe from the oil filter housing 'Tees' into the top rad hose, you will also need an expansion tank, connected to the rad & thermostat housing (hidden under carbs). Water drains from the expansion tank back into the system via a hose 'Teed' into bottom rad hose.
Hope this helps
Wadders.
Originally posted by Alistair
Wadders

engine is in neutral. I don't know about the side stand switch. what does the plug look like that clips onto it? I have a plug which a don't know where to put. It is black and has two terminals. It is shaped similarily to the plug that connects from the loom to the fuel pump. could this be it?
Am I correct in the assumption that all the plugs are slightly different in shape and therefore cannot be wrongly plugged together, only to the corresponding plug.

Also, how many pipes go to the radiator? I havn't got one yet but figure I won't need it just to check the engine runs for a few seconds. There are the two big water pipes, but also smaller ones such as the ones that come out from where the oil filter attatches. One goes to the water pump, where does the other go.

Bought the engine as a 'good runner' and got a box of bits

Any help is greatly appreciated

Alistair

posted on 23/6/03 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
I have the ignition barrel so that is not a problem. I will, however, be removing this once the engine is in the car so the info about the resistor is appreciated. Getting an oil filter today so will try and get the engine running.
Should be able to sort the plumbing out as well, cheers.

MK9R

posted on 23/6/03 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Short the clutch switch out aswell, yuo have all angles covered then.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 23/6/03 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
To cut out all anti starting switches, just earth the black and green wire coming out of the ECU.
Alistair

posted on 23/6/03 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
shorted out the stand switch and nothing happend.
shorted out the clutch switch even though the light on the clocks said it was in neutral and it worked. (thanks MK9R)

1/2 a pint of petrol later and it fired up!

didn't want to short out any wires going to the ecu as I was worried that I would brake it but thanks jasper for the advice

any ideas why the light on the clocks shows neutral but it still wont crank over without the clutch switch being shorted? Could it be a dodgy switch on the gear box?

MK9R

posted on 24/6/03 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
My suzuki GSXR would not let you turnover the starter motor unless the clutch was depressed, even if it was in neutral. Safety i suppose

Have a gander on my site, i have a section on getting the engine running.

[Edited on 24/6/03 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.