Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MEV ROCKET BEC?
stig mills

posted on 3/3/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
MEV ROCKET BEC?

Been asked a few times now about a BEC version. Dont wont to offer too many options or claim anything will fit like some have in the past. So what do you think I should go with in terms of engine/diff. I believe good value will be important to most. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated, kind regards Stig Mills
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 3/3/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Simple, R1 yamaha because they are relatively cheap injection 05 is 182bhp. They also only require a baffle instead of a dry sump.
Sierra lsd diff converted to chain sprocket:

diff2
diff2

I am in the process of building an atomesque car and I will be using this set up.
I am just looking for a garage to store my car while I start on the chassis. So far I have got 90% of the parts together (9K worth !!!)

[Edited on 3/3/2007 by nitram38]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/3/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Im not so sure the 04-06 engines are particularly cheap though are they, last time I looked they seemed to be not far below £2k?

An earlier engine will still give you 150-160bhp though, and very well proven. The Blackbird engine could also be worthy of consideration for a cheap 160bhp seeing as it will be transversely mounted so shouldnt have the oil starvation problems that inline mounting them brings.

nitram38

posted on 3/3/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
R1 is not super cheap but I bought a complete 700 mile engine from yorkshire engines for £1875.
When you consider it is almost brand new, then it is not bad.
Why put cheap engines in a bec with high mileage and having been thrased to bits?
Although it is a lot cheaper than a busa when you consider a dry sump install. These setups cost £3-5000

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/3/07 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh I agree its not really worth putting high mile smokers in to save a few hundred quid, but to put it into context a couple of years ago I bought a mint 03 engine that was just over a year old at the time with 3k miles on it for £1200, but engines of the same age/mileage seem to be nearer £2k now, admittedly with a bit more power.

nitram38

posted on 3/3/07 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
About another 30bhp to 182 for an injection.
I forgot to factor in the power commander plus cat though !

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/3/07 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's also injection, and in reality the 04> engine has more like 15-20bhp over an older engine (and less power below 8k) because the figures quoted include ram air which isn't applicable for BEC use.

[Edited on 3/3/07 by ChrisGamlin]

nitram38

posted on 3/3/07 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
Mine's also injection, and in reality the 04> engine has more like 15-20bhp over an older engine (and less power below 8k) because the figures quoted include ram air which isn't applicable for BEC use.

[Edited on 3/3/07 by ChrisGamlin]

You can still get ram air on a rear engined car because the engine faces the "right" way and you can keep the standard airbox facing into the wind.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/3/07 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but you can't beat physics, its benefit is virtually non existent until you hit ~90-100mph, and does't give more than a couple of bhp until much higher speeds, speeds that are unattainable in a BEC.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.