Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx9 carbs, what have i done
roadrunner

posted on 14/7/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
zx9 carbs, what have i done

I've had two very small niggles with the running of my zx9r, first the flat spot between 4500-5000 revs, also when trying to set off quickly in first gear, it seems to bog down under full throtle.
Now my carbs have been rejetted, to what, i dont know, also , i am running a sausage filter.
From reading various threads, it seems i need to block off the main air jet, so i gave it a trial run.
open carb
open carb

The one i blocked was the larger of the two brass holes, just left of center, people mensioned filling with match stick , and this seemed the only hole big enough to take a match.
Went for a spin everything seemed ok until higher up the rev range it sounded a bit gruff and didnt rev as freely, so i pulled the matches out, went for a spin, and it still sounds gruff and doesnt rev freely as it should, what have i done.
By the way, i do know the carbs need a little clean, and i still have the old fuel jets.

BenB

posted on 14/7/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'll ask my bro what setup he runs- he's got a Striker running a XZ9 on carbs....
mistergrumpy

posted on 14/7/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Nah mate. From this thread and from looking at the Haynes manual it is described as the one in between the lower two screw holes (that hold the plastic cap on) and its the one in lin with the needle i.e. the smaller of the two.

roadrunner

posted on 14/7/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I think your supposed to fill the center hole , but how do you get a match stick in that.

roadrunner

posted on 14/7/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
That picture is filter side.
Description
Description

This one is plastic cover side.

mistergrumpy

posted on 14/7/07 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I agree. Perhaps its just a shaving of the matchstick? It does seem to be that one though from the Haynes book...but then again them things have caught me out before!!
Ah edited to say, I'm lost now, hang on.

[Edited on 14/7/07 by mistergrumpy]

mistergrumpy

posted on 14/7/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Right. 'Air leak jet' as its called, is the small black dot that is just outside the rim on the lower edge of the picture. In the exploded pictures in the book it shows it as removable and that thread says it can be removed I think.
Have a look at this, choose carburettor parts and have a look at part number 16035

roadrunner

posted on 14/7/07 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I will get myself some carb cleaner in the morning and strip them down, then i will fill that small hole cover side, see if that makes a difference, what i cant understand ,is why ,when i removed the match sticks, it still played up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.