Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 clutch lever and slave idea
nitram38

posted on 3/8/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
R1 clutch lever and slave idea

After a recent discussion I did a few measurements about how to go about mounting a slave cylinder so that I get a good foot pedal too.
After playing with a pair of mole grips and measuring the movement of the arm, I came up with the following measurements (might help someone!)
The arm is 40mm from the clutch fulcrum to the cable swivel centre.
I am going to use a wilwood "pull" type slave cylinder with a total movement of 34.9mm and a wilwood master cylinder. I have a wilwood pedal set up.
The change to lever length will give me a full pedal without the need for a pedal stop.
I have ground off the rivet that holds the cable clip. The hole is 6mm.
I will re-thread the wilwood slave to accept a 6mm rod end to attach to the lever.
The arm moves through 25mm of freeplay at the cable end of the lever and 20mm of actual clutch movement before it comes to a stop.
My idea is to adjust the lever length to match the 20mm of actual clutch take up with the 34.9mm slave movement.
The freeplay will be removed by turning the lever before attaching the slave.
The correct length of lever is 67mm from fulcrum centre to 6mm hole to give 34.9mm of slave travel.
If run in the normal cable orientation, the longer lever will hit the engine block so I plan to take up the freeplay and weld a second lever arm that will stick out the back of the engine about 5 degrees from parrallel to the engine and then mount the slave along the rear of the engine.
Leaving the original arm on the set up will also allow the return spring to remain to assist the slave.
The drawing is looking down from the rear of the engine.
What do you think?

clutch setup
clutch setup

[Edited on 3/8/2007 by nitram38]

Bitten hero

posted on 3/8/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
hi martin,
Looks like it will work- I have already done my clutch using the bike clutch master cly and part of the handlebars and fitting them to my pedal box -in a very simple way and that works, took about a hour all in. all the best gary.

Bitten hero

posted on 3/8/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
hi martin,
Looks like it will work- I have already done my clutch using the bike clutch master cly and part of the handlebars and fitting them to my pedal box -in a very simple way and that works, took about a hour all in. all the best gary.

nitram38

posted on 3/8/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Gary, any pics of your car?

Here are a couple of pics of the standard lever. I'll post the finished item as soon as I can.
You can see I have removed the cable clamp and you can also see the wilwood slave lying on the floor.
clutch lever 2
clutch lever 2

[img][/img]

[Edited on 3/8/2007 by nitram38]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.