Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy R1 in Spain
DUR

posted on 5/3/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
MK Indy R1 in Spain

Hello to everybody,

It´s been a long time since I last came to the forum... Congrat s to all, it still is "THE" place when it comes to Locosts!!!!!!

I´ve found a MK Indy with R1 engine here in Spain (called Garbi Mk1) and I´m really looking forward to buying it.

My doubts are: is the chassis good (it´s MK Indy)? Is it worth the buy a BEC instead of an auto engined? I know the emotions are unique, but is it city usable? Is it exhausting on a Sunday morning 50 mille get away?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/3/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
MK is a good make to buy, don't know if a BEC is the best thing in a city, I remember Barcelona being completely stopped for ages, Madrid is even busier, would a bike engine cope with the heat I wonder?

[Edited on 5/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DUR

posted on 5/3/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I catually would give it ocasional use in Madrid. But from time to time, specially in summer (lighter traffic) I would probably go for quick rides in the city...

Would I have heating problems??

On the other hand, is the maintenance of the R1 engine high or specific??

Thanks again.

Fozzie

posted on 5/3/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
DUR, it might be worth u2u'ing Alez....

He will be able to give you a more informed opinion to the 'bec' question in Spain..

HTH Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/3/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
The MK is very popular over in Spain,they even have a race series for the car,MK built quite a few race spec cars which were sent over to Spain last year.
The Bike engine cars are no more prone to over heating than other engines as long as they have been built correctly with the correct size radiator and cooling fan combination,and again maintenance on a R1 should be no more than any other high performance car engine,they just need regular oil changes with good quality oil,if you don't no much about the cars then its always best to take someone else along with you who does,like buying any car,you don't end up buying a load of trouble,check the overall build quality,oil,water leaks,check does the gearbox have a smooth change and does not jump out of gear when you accellerate,noisey diff,does the engine pull strong with no misfires,good luck with your search. Rescued attachment mk race series.jpg
Rescued attachment mk race series.jpg

DUR

posted on 5/3/08 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Great guys, thanks for your help!!!

I already talked to Alez, great advice. He actually knows the guy who imports the MK´s. Alez told me it´s supposed to be a good buy.

Regarding the one I´m talking about, it was built in 2007, and has only had one owner. It was actually built by CobraCars, who are the ones that import them and that cater the needs for the Garbi Challenge, which is the racing cup that exists with these cars.

In 10 days I´ll got to see and try the car.

Thanks for you help, you guys are great!!!

BTW; could I put the complete roll cage from the after market?

kastrato

posted on 5/3/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
my mk indy with fireblade engine is copping fine with the heat and the traffic of Athens, Greece!

MK INDY fireblade

PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/3/08 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
MK now sell full cages they send them out flat packed,ready for you to have welded in place,not sure how much postage to spain would be though.

BTW; could I put the complete roll cage from the after market? [/quote

kastrato

posted on 5/3/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking to do the same thing with the roll cage issue, but the cost of the cage plus the postage (to Greece at least) is much more than to custom fabricate a similar cage in Greece.

MK INDY fireblade

kastrato

posted on 5/3/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
regarding the overheating issue, in a coulple of trackdays during august with almost 40 degrees C the car had some issues of overheating after 5 laps or so That have been solved by fitting a swich that let you swich on the radiator fan. So by keeping in swiched on all the time the car was fine even with 40 degrees C and hard treatment. I am always recomending in the track to do cool down laps every 10 laps or so.

MK INDY fireblade

DUR

posted on 5/3/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kastrato
I was looking to do the same thing with the roll cage issue, but the cost of the cage plus the postage (to Greece at least) is much more than to custom fabricate a similar cage in Greece.

Thanks kastrato!!!

If it´s not inconvenient, could you tell me how much were the complete roll cage + shipping expenses to Greece?

Thousand thanks.

kastrato

posted on 5/3/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
the roll cage cost about 450 pounds from Mk and the shiping prices varies.
Couriers asking at least 150 pounds for shipping because of the size and weight (It is boxed into pieces that you need to weld yourself but still weights over 65 kilos)
You can use other types of freight companies which are cheaper but these kind of companies request the box to be sent to them first. To explain this better the MK need to send the box to the freight company and then the freight company will sent the box to spain (via a ship/container) and you need to pick it up from the port or their store somewhere in near you. By the time the box reach you the shipping price will be almost double (you need to pay for the guy which will unload your box from the ship etc). To conclude doesn't worth it just go to your local garage with a picture or a drawing of what type of cage you want and he will custom fabricate it for you.

P.S sorry for my english I hope all these make sence.

MK INDY fireblade

DUR

posted on 5/3/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kastrato
the roll cage cost about 450 pounds from Mk and the shiping prices varies.
Couriers asking at least 150 pounds for shipping because of the size and weight (It is boxed into pieces that you need to weld yourself but still weights over 65 kilos)
You can use other types of freight companies which are cheaper but these kind of companies request the box to be sent to them first. To explain this better the MK need to send the box to the freight company and then the freight company will sent the box to spain (via a ship/container) and you need to pick it up from the port or their store somewhere in near you. By the time the box reach you the shipping price will be almost double (you need to pay for the guy which will unload your box from the ship etc). To conclude doesn't worth it just go to your local garage with a picture or a drawing of what type of cage you want and he will custom fabricate it for you.

P.S sorry for my english I hope all these make sence.

Great English, it makes perfectly good sense!!!

I´ll see if I can find somebody here in Madrid who could do the job... Thanks!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.