Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R Baffle plate (Again!)
matt.c

posted on 20/8/08 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R Baffle plate (Again!)

I have made a copy of a baffle plate from a template from a well known motorsport company. It seems to me that the holes are quite small for the oil to travel through? When the pickup and the valve is fitted there is not much room around them for the oil to get in. You would have thought that it would be ok but i thought i had better ask before fitting it.

Description
Description

blakep82

posted on 20/8/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
i would think hot oil would travel through the holes pretty quick, but i'd be worried about the flatness of it. i'd think oil could settle on top of the plate, and not making it to the pick up?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 21/8/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry, once up to temperature the oil is pretty runny. If in doubt stick some in a hob and heat it up to oil temperature then slosh it about a bit (carefully!!)....
nitram38

posted on 21/8/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely more holes towards the middle of the plate.
The idea of the baffle is to stop the oil going up the sides of the block away from the pick up as you go around corners.
Normally a bike engine rolls with the bike and the oil stays level, but in a bec the engine stays upright and the oil level moves.
Likewise you want the oil to get back to the pick up quickly or you will be back to square one......no oil to pump around.
The R1 plates I supply have 6 X 10mm holes around the centre and people who have raced with them say that the oil pressure is excellent.

[Edited on 21/8/2008 by nitram38]

progers

posted on 21/8/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'd put a couple of extra holes in the middle and bend the lip/edge downwards a bit to encourage flow back to the sump. Other than that looks good.

- Paul

matt.c

posted on 21/8/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Progers, what about this? Do you think the holes will be big enough?

[img][/img]

progers

posted on 21/8/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
looks fine - holes plenty big enough

- Paul

KJK

posted on 22/8/08 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
holes

have run my car for two years with the same type of plate as yours with no problems at all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.