Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car conversion onto a 4x4 chassis
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/10/12 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Car conversion onto a 4x4 chassis

Having now sorted out old landy and done all I want to it and having no other project cars to do, I’m trying to come up with something fun but not to overly involved like a full restoration, I haven’t the time now

I’m sure many of you have seen similar conversions in the past, usually someone has a rusty 4x4 pickup and an old car with knackered running gear, stick them together and you get a 4x4 with all the comforts of a normal car, really an easy conversion

I’ve been looking at my suffering bluebird to play with, it’s in great shape and lasting really well, however I want to fiddle with it for a while the thoughts of sitting it on a Toyota pickup chassis have been in my mind. I think this would be a great idea cos

a) The original mechanics, brake pipes, fuel tank etc won’t be getting any wear as they’ll be carefully stored away once painted and protected
b) The cars long and wide so fits the Toyota’s wheelbase quite well
c) No need to do any welding alterations to the cars shell as outriggers can be added to the chassis which would bolt right onto the shells original suspension mounting points, probably using isolation mounts for a quieter ride
d) Makes it a lot easier to keep the underside clean and in good condition being well away from the ground
e) Car could be changed back to completely original form in about 3 days
f) Being high and fitting rock sliders etc it is much less likely to pick up dents in car parks
g) Would have all the comforts and pleasantness of the car, though so high up the boot may be a tad awkward to use as its deep and long
h) The chassis could be fully drivable and finished beforehand so the actual swap would be quick
i) As the car is often used for towing the chassis will be taking all the loads instead of the shell and will be better at it too

I have a specific look that I’m after, not too high where the body sits much higher than the chassis as that just looks bloody awful or sticking monster truck tyres on it, again awful

I’ve maybe been polarized into just looking a Toyota pickups but I drove one for work years ago and loved it. Landy mechanics are just too well heavy and yuck to even consider tbh but any ideas or

These 3 cars have the look I’m wanting, bull bar too

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 17/10/12 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
LOL - I just knew this would be you without opening the thread I'm astonished you want to do this to your Bluebird though! wouldn't it be better to buy a £200 Volvo as per your pictures and do it to that?
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm well it's the kind of thing I like...

I'm not damaging bluebird in anyway tbh in fact it helps me use it without wearing it out. We also have a drive that is full of potholes and mud, had to change the balljoints at 50k miles already it's not doing the car any good at all

Can't buy any more cars, have more than enough, need a simple straightforward enjoyable cheap project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dick Axtell

posted on 17/10/12 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I’m sure many of you have seen similar conversions in the past, usually someone has a rusty 4x4 pickup and an old car with knackered running gear, stick them together and you get a 4x4 with all the comforts of a normal car, really an easy conversion

Saw exactly one like this on TV recently. Kevin McCleod's woodland shed prog. (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/kevin-mcclouds-man-made-home). His mate, Ginger Kev, has a very interesting work facility, with generous welding kit arond, (do I sound envious??? ). His vehicle sports a Mini bodyshell, mounted on a 4x4 chassis. Rear suspension was clearly leaf spring, but could not ID the origin of the chassis, from brief shots seen.

Anybody kno more about this guy, or his vee-hickle?

[Edited on 17/10/12 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

dinosaurjuice

posted on 17/10/12 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
its will trickett that has 'Winston' the mini, and the boat building company full of cool stuff.

I think its a 1600 daihatsu underneath with no major changes to chassis. Its even got a coolant pipe in the passenger seat to provide some warmth!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.