Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New guy with donor question
grantmac

posted on 7/1/05 at 04:32 AM Reply With Quote
New guy with donor question

Hello!
I've been looking around on this forum for about a day and a half now. Last week when I was working on my car I realized I wanted to build something completely from the ground up. I'd seen a Locost website before and I liked the principle of it. I've ordered the book, should be here in a few weeks.
I'm sort of an early RX-7 fan and so I had originally thought to use one of those as a donor. We are severely lacking in very suitable donors here in North America as everyone knows. Well I'd really prefer to avoid having to convert struts to uprights so my thoughts have turned elsewhere.
I've been looking at small pick-up trucks as they seem to have the right sort of set-up. Has anyone used anything besides an S10?
Thanks,
Grant

Mark18

posted on 7/1/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mercur xr4ti is the same as a 4wd Sierra - perfect donor, other than that AFAIK an rx-7 makes a good donor with useable front uprights and a great engine for a Locost.

Mrak

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
grantmac

posted on 7/1/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
The engine, tranny and rear-end will probably be RX-7 no matter what. I know these engines and I love my RX-7, it's just oo heavy with poor front suspension. I'd prefer to avoid having to convert struts to uprights, although the 86-91 RX-7 has struts that bolt togather and so would work pretty well. I also want to avoid the uncommon 4x110 bolt pattern on most 1st gens.

Grant

JoelP

posted on 7/1/05 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
converting sierra/mercur hubs to upright is very easy, if that makes any difference - its just a 20gbp 'strut adapter'.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

grantmac

posted on 7/1/05 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Too bad the Merkur is a rather rare care overhere. We only got the XR4Ti which is somewhat hard to find. If I convert any strut I think it will be a 2nd generation RX-7 base model upright. I'm also looking at using an R6 rear shock with linkage or just at a lower angle for the shocks. Other than that the chassis will look rather similar to a book chassis, the body however will be more in-line with a full-bodied car.
Grant

krlthms

posted on 8/1/05 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark18
Mercur xr4ti is the same as a 4wd Sierra - perfect donor, other than that AFAIK an rx-7 makes a good donor with useable front uprights and a great engine for a Locost.

Mrak

The Merkur xr4ti is 2WD.

kiwirex

posted on 19/1/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have these farty little japanese vans over there?

I'm planning on using uprights from a toyota townace.

a townace - for my uprights
a townace - for my uprights

(not this one though)

Most of them are twin wishbone, front steer. But most of them also have the steering knuckle way down low, so your rack has to go through the bottom rail, which isn't ideal.
Pretty sure townace has the steering knuckle half way up, like the cortina.

Cheers
- Greg H

Volvorsport

posted on 19/1/05 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
what about Rx7 twin turbo front uprights , and for that matter rear , all wishbones

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

grantmac

posted on 21/1/05 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
I just got The Book today so I'm gonna be reading for a while. Also going to be buying a house shortly so I'll have a place to start.
Looking more like I'm gonna use the toyota van front uprights and a corrolla SR-5 drivetrain, but later look at a GTS drivetrain once it's been on the road for a little while. I already have one rotary car and I think I'd like to go piston with this one.
Grant

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.