Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover 2 litre Turbo
Kook

posted on 14/11/06 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
Rover 2 litre Turbo

Would a engine out of a Rover 800 Vitesse 2 litre Turbo fit ok. Has anyone put one of these in one before any advise would be great cheers Paul Rescued attachment turbo rover.JPG
Rescued attachment turbo rover.JPG

Humbug

posted on 14/11/06 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
At one point Robin Hood were offering a package including this engine with a special bellhousing and an MT75 gearbox
bobrailings

posted on 14/11/06 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I think Practical Performance Car did an article about this engine a couple of months back. For rwd use I think they suggested a Sherpa van bellhousing and a Rover LT77 gearbox. Will double check when I get a chance.

Steve

JoelP

posted on 14/11/06 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quite heavy but good power for a very cheap engine. I asked a long time ago about this on the rover forums and was told that an lt77 or an older box called r380 (i think) would fit.
zxrlocost

posted on 14/11/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
cheap engine ok power

but unreliable and dont increase much with tuning

ie you only have to do simple stuff to a pulsar engine and you get an extra 50-60-brake

do the same stuff to the rover engine and youll be lucky to get an extra ten brake

they also cant go over 13psi on standard engine internals

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Donners90

posted on 14/11/06 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quite heavy but good power for a very cheap engine. I asked a long time ago about this on the rover forums and was told that an lt77 or an older box called r380 (i think) would fit.

The R380 is the newer of the two boxes, and stronger, more reliable, but more expensive!

andyps

posted on 14/11/06 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
cheap engine ok power

but unreliable and dont increase much with tuning

ie you only have to do simple stuff to a pulsar engine and you get an extra 50-60-brake

do the same stuff to the rover engine and youll be lucky to get an extra ten brake

they also cant go over 13psi on standard engine internals

There are two versions of the engine - the earlier ones are actually much better. The 180bhp engines (came with conventional diff) can be tuned to 230bhp just by adjusting the boost levels. Above this the standard fuel injection system cannot get enough fuel in to stop pistons melting caused by lean mixture. The late engines with 200bhp (with torsen diff) have softer pistons and actually cause more problems when tuned.

40 brake comes for the price of a pint on the early engines. They are pretty reliable, just have a tendency to leak oil from the oilway between the block and the head when the engine is cold.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Kook

posted on 14/11/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for replys, Some good infomation had a think and think am gonna stick with pinto for now .. Not got car built yet and would not mind having her done for the summer and maybe upgrade engine next winter.
Was tempting to put Rover in as was only £200 for whole car and prob could have got my money back from selling bits from it ...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.