Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall FWD to RWD
NigeEss

posted on 24/2/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall FWD to RWD

And vice versa.

As it's possible to use FWD engines from the Calibra etc in RWD cars I assume the reverse
will work.

The 1.8 in my Astra shat it's cambelt and I've been offered a 2litre Omega lump with loom/ecu. Both XE's.

tomblyth

posted on 24/2/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
yes but not the gearbox! so reverse will only work if it works in the gearbox your attaching it to!
blakep82

posted on 24/2/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
yep. type 9 gearbox and bellhousing from sbd, yukspeed etc, or the omega box with its integral gearbox

or an F18 box for FWD

[Edited on 24/2/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 24/2/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Or have mid engine and use original box

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Danozeman

posted on 24/2/08 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Both XE's.

Are you sure??

I take you mean reverse as in vice versa.

If so it will work yes. Bolt to the astra gearbox and away you go. I would have thought the omega would be ecotec? not XE red top?

[Edited on 24/2/08 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

blakep82

posted on 24/2/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, i'm pretty sure the omega came out after they stopped making the xe

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bigrich

posted on 24/2/08 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Omega 2.0 is an x20 xev which is about 130 bhp not the 150 of the c20xe redtop

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

gsi13

posted on 16/8/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
the 2lt xe in the omega and the redtop xe in cavilers calibras and the mk2 and mk3 astras all have the same block.
alistairolsen

posted on 16/8/08 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
just to clear this up, they will not be XE's per se,certainly not the 20xe, or C20xe which most people refer to by that name.

the 20xe came in early astra gtes and had no lambda or cat (156bhp)

the C20XE came in late gtes, gsis, calibras, cavalier sri and gsi models and had both a cat and lambda control. Late ones ran dispak ignition. (150bhp)

the c18xe came in late astra gsi's and is rare and not worth hunting for. (124bhp)

vectrascame with the x18xe (113bhp), or x20xe / x20xev (136bhp) engines which were thelater "ecotec" models. these share the same bottom end geometry but have an open deck block and a different webbing arrangement. vectraslater moved to the smallblock z18xe1 engine. (125bhp)

omegas etc only got the 2l ecotec, and also a long stroke version which was 2.2l.

Regarding the original posters question, you can go mid engines and use any of the FWD boxes. F16CR gives best acceleration, F20 is common and has good ratios, F28 6 speed if you are turbocharging.

you can get bellhousings both upright, and 7 degree slant to fit the ford type 9 boxes

or you could use the omega R25 or R30 boxes.

[Edited on 16/8/08 by alistairolsen]

NS Dev

posted on 19/8/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
And vice versa.

As it's possible to use FWD engines from the Calibra etc in RWD cars I assume the reverse
will work.

The 1.8 in my Astra shat it's cambelt and I've been offered a 2litre Omega lump with loom/ecu. Both XE's.

In answer to the question (ignoring the highly interesting fact that indeed they are not both XE's, as neither is, and a whole thread seems to have been written about!!)

YES, the omega engine WILL bolt to the astra gearbox....HOWEVER

Is it an 8 valve or 16 valve astra?

I assume its a 16v or it wouldn't be worth the worry, but if it were an 8 valve, just put a new belt on, the valves don't hit the pistons anyway!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

wheelman2015

posted on 1/10/15 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone tell me for sure if the Omega X20XEV ( 136 CP ) gearbox is a straight fit to the red top C20XE ?
I find a cheap gearbox of this type and I m not sure if they have the same bolt pattern.
Thanks.

wheelman2015

posted on 21/12/15 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
I finally manage to put de engine + gearbox together and is a perfect fit : red top engine C20XE and the Omega B X20XEV R25-28 gearbox, all I need now is a spacer for the slave cilinder.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.