Board logo

argh, what happened to the front page?
Werner Van Loock - 1/1/11 at 06:45 PM

It has changed, don't know wether it's better or not.

For me it may have more topics listed as I have a high vertical resolution so topics only cover half the screen now.

Ben_Copeland - 1/1/11 at 06:48 PM

Chris has got a few more surprises to come... Just talking on MSN about it

Werner Van Loock - 1/1/11 at 06:52 PM

he has too much time on his hands

I already think that it's better already. As i always used the front page aswell as the "locostbuilders today" page to make sure not to miss out on some hot topics. Now it's both combined.

mookaloid - 1/1/11 at 06:53 PM

I quite like it - but I think there's room for top 15 not just top ten topics

Edit: oops spoke too soon now we have pics posted today too can these be linked so we can see the full size ones Chris?

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 1/1/11 by mookaloid]

speedyxjs - 1/1/11 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock
I already think that it's better already. As i always used the front page aswell as the "locostbuilders today" page to make sure not to miss out on some hot topics. Now it's both combined.

Me too. I think its much better

GMPMotorsport - 1/1/11 at 06:59 PM

don't like the new front page, let's go back to the old one please?

Ben_Copeland - 1/1/11 at 06:59 PM

The only thing is we loose topics quicker, but retain the popular ones

tomgregory2000 - 1/1/11 at 07:02 PM

the new topics bit NEEDS to be twice as many topics

and you should be able to click on the pics

i think it is great

Werner Van Loock - 1/1/11 at 07:06 PM

pics? where?

Aha, there they are, but now the page is too wide for my screen?

Or am i too quick?

[Edited on 1/1/11 by Werner Van Loock]

tomgregory2000 - 1/1/11 at 07:10 PM

bonk

ha ha

oh its gone now

[Edited on 1/1/11 by tomgregory2000]

tomgregory2000 - 1/1/11 at 07:16 PM

nobs rule

classic

RichardK - 1/1/11 at 07:20 PM

Guess Chris has found the random option!

mookaloid - 1/1/11 at 07:20 PM

that will be richardk for the naughty step

ChrisW - 1/1/11 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Guess Chris has found the random option!

You're testing my PHP skills tonight!! If this had been Perl I'd have found it a lot quicker!!

Chris

RichardK - 1/1/11 at 07:26 PM

Just living up to my title!!

Looking good so far Chris, agreed perl is sooooooo last year!!

Cheers

Rich

Ben_Copeland - 1/1/11 at 07:37 PM

Richard how about deleting them now, as its crap !

stevebubs - 1/1/11 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I quite like it - but I think there's room for top 15 not just top ten topics

Edit: oops spoke too soon now we have pics posted today too can these be linked so we can see the full size ones Chris?

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 1/1/11 by mookaloid]

ditto - or remove some of the right hand advertisements as they're generating whitespace under the topics...

ChrisW - 1/1/11 at 07:37 PM

What do you mean? Perl kicks the arse off PHP.

Problem is, the XMB software that this board is based on - all those years ago - is PHP, so if I want to mod any of the built in functions, I have to do it in PHP.

Chris

stevebubs - 1/1/11 at 07:40 PM

Yay! Whitespace is gone...!

RichardK - 1/1/11 at 07:43 PM

I personally find php is the best solution for creating web pages, cgi is pretty good using perl but perl is stronger as a system scripting language instead of a web language php is probably your best choice for web programming.

Just my view

R

JoelP - 1/1/11 at 07:44 PM

i like!

the photo bit does make it easier for people to spam obscenities onto the front page though.

RichardK - 1/1/11 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland

Think they're cached, will have to upload some proper ones!

Ben_Copeland - 1/1/11 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland

Think they're cached, will have to upload some proper ones!

Yeah 5 mins... thanks

britishtrident - 1/1/11 at 08:11 PM

Really not good the site is increasingly too orientated towards wide screens wrong way when increasing users are logging in using Netbooks and other portable hardware that dosen't have ultra wide screens.

In particular the text entry box for creating posts goes well outside the 1024x600 resolution I am using on this Netbook.

austin man - 1/1/11 at 08:13 PM

too wide for my laptop I have had to alter the screen size to 85% to get all in view, some positives vs some negative changes methinks

Bluemoon - 1/1/11 at 08:23 PM

Two wide for my laptop now, hate to think what it will be like on my phone..

Dan

steve m - 1/1/11 at 08:30 PM

Absoloutley fine on my acer laptop, and i get 3 pics of my car on the front page

yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

steve

DRC INDY 7 - 1/1/11 at 08:46 PM

It fits nice on my I phone 4 did i just say that

tomgregory2000 - 1/1/11 at 08:48 PM

Fits on my laptop screen as per normal

keep up the good work

tommy

balidey - 1/1/11 at 08:56 PM

change for the sake of change?
I can't understand why ebay keeps making changes to format either.
IMHO the front page now looks way too messy, it used to be a 'here are the last new posts' now its a bit like an over crowded notice board.
But hey, thats progress.
Maybe we can have a twitter panel on it somewhere?

And its way too wide for me too. And as I'm not the only one that suggests there's something wrong.

[Edited on 1/1/11 by balidey]

steve m - 1/1/11 at 09:04 PM

mmmm, your wrong

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 1/1/11 at 09:07 PM

it would be nice if there was a mobile fone version to view - with smaller amounts of images and data - this forum doesnt resize automatiaclly also to fit screens on mobile.. that would be nice.. if poss..

jonrotheray - 1/1/11 at 09:12 PM

Have we also lost the ability to view anyone else's photo archive?

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 1/1/11 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jonrotheray
Have we also lost the ability to view anyone else's photo archive?

no i can see yours

jonrotheray - 1/1/11 at 09:17 PM

I thought you used to be able to follow the link to Photo Archive at the top of the screen and browse everyone's.
Now I only see mine.

I can view others from their posts ok - you're right.

Oh - I can get from the members list. Complete with thumbnails - nice!

[Edited on 1/1/11 by jonrotheray]

Alfa145 - 1/1/11 at 09:29 PM

I don't like the shorter list of new topics, means new ones will get missed easier as they'll dissapear off the list quick.

Make the new topic list as long as it was originally and add the new active topic below and the photos below. Makes the screen longer but not too much for people to scroll down to see them.

RichardK - 1/1/11 at 09:37 PM

We can still use

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/

and

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/today.php

Cheers

Rich

loggyboy - 1/1/11 at 10:36 PM

This is much better. I always thought it was very baised towards new threads, this way older more interesting and important threads should be kept at the fore front.
this is the only forum i use that has (had) the 'latest' threads grouped as the front page, most you have to click to get to a 'today/latest' page which ive always ignored and just licked through each of the groups/titles that interest me.
I always thought it was a shame being new thread biased as some replys once a thread dissapears off the list get missed.

Andybarbet - 1/1/11 at 11:11 PM

Im liking this My PC is set to log straight onto 'today.php' normally, this looks like the best of both worlds to me, will be changing my internet settings now to log onto front page, now we can see new topics & todays ones, much better

Chippy - 1/1/11 at 11:33 PM

Definately do not like it, problem is that you get two lists and some posts are on both. It's a bit like buying twenty of something and finding you only have ten. IMHO Ray

loggyboy - 1/1/11 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
problem is that you get two lists and some posts are on both.

Thats a good point, could there be a way to only allow them in one or the other?

JoelP - 2/1/11 at 09:49 AM

i think its good myself. My screen is only 11.6" and it fits - maybe i got a higher resolution screen though

The new list at the bottom is fantastic, as you can see at a glance if someone has posted on a thread you were participating in.

Just needs something to sell in the shop now, ChrisW might be a millionaire this time next year!

hillbillyracer - 2/1/11 at 06:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Definately do not like it, problem is that you get two lists and some posts are on both. It's a bit like buying twenty of something and finding you only have ten. IMHO Ray

I quite like it but I agree with this, would there be a way to set it so a thread doesnt appear in the lower list until it's gone from the upper one? That would mean something of interest was'nt pushed off by something already on the upper list.

Macbeast - 2/1/11 at 06:51 PM

Don't like it. New posts and latest activity are going to duplicate. A bit like a certain car magazine where you say " Hang on, haven't I read this article before ? "

It wasn't broke, why did you fix it ?

eddie99 - 2/1/11 at 07:03 PM

I think its brilliant and am liking the new bits that ChrisW is working on. Keep up the good work, another donation will be sent soon!

britishtrident - 3/1/11 at 11:46 AM

People who like the new format like it

People who don't like it are either having problems or in the convenience of having to continually change the browser zoom setting.

Like v problems and inconvenience

Looks like a no brainer to me.

Macbeast - 7/1/11 at 11:56 AM

Take today for example - of 16 "Newest Topics" 10 are duplicated in " Recent Activity " What's the point ? Only leads to fewer topic shortcuts.

[Edited on 7/1/11 by Macbeast]

Dusty - 7/1/11 at 01:09 PM

The photos are a waste of space. Although the odd one is of interest they are all out of context and often the title is useless so I don't know what it is a photo of.
Duplication in the two lists is irritating.
Short list means topics slip off the front page fast at busy times and never get answers.

Macbeast - 7/1/11 at 06:50 PM

Agree about the photos too. Apart from the meaningless logos and graphic designs, what purpose do the photos serve ? If you could click on them and be taken to the post that they illustrate that might be useful, but they just seem to lead to the uploader's album, which is not.

[Edited on 7/1/11 by Macbeast]

NigeEss - 7/1/11 at 07:20 PM

I'd also like to see a longer new post section and a simple link to the today page if
I wanted to see follow ups.

hobzy - 2/2/11 at 11:18 PM

Do "wanted" topics miss the front page?

loggyboy - 2/2/11 at 11:54 PM

No

loggyboy - 2/2/11 at 11:54 PM

No