Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lolita
garethpowys

posted on 1/11/02 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Lolita

No, it's not what you think from the subject line

Looking back through some old copies of Mini Magazine I came across a car called a Lolita. So named because the guy who built it used to work for Lola and he built it like a little Lola. There was a Mk1 and a Mk2, the first car having a tubular space frame the later car being Ali semi monocoque. The earlier car is styled like a seven, which doesn't really work. The later car looks like a Can Am car and is much nicer.

Anyhow the unique thing about these cars is that the Mini engine and transmission is tilted forwars 60 degrees. It's a really neat solution as it keeps the rear of the car nice and low and shifts the centre of mass forward and down. I can't for the life of me figure out how the got the gear change to work - but I'm thinking hard.

Gareth

philgregson

posted on 7/11/02 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
It wouldn't be a good idea to own one of these though would it?

Once the tabloid reading population of your local council estate (sweeping description I know but, if you remember the paedeatritian incident, they were) heard you had a lolita in your garage they'd come round and fire bomb your house!!

wayner

posted on 8/11/02 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
One of Terrapin series ( I think by memory ) had a mini engine canted foward as described, look under Allan Staniforth book Race & Rally Car Source Book which has lots of detail on these and other Formulae 750 single seaters ( just widen the cockpit area to get your mate / s in ), it is quite an informative book actually ( including using rubber bands for suspension, no don't knock it, rubber has alsorts of wonderbar properties particularly for suspension ). I always remember it competing at a local hill climb and it used to thrash all in sundry.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.