Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The current crop of midi kits
Alan B

posted on 20/11/02 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
The current crop of midi kits

Guys, seeing as we are in a unique position of buiding our cars from scratch (or at least a substantial part of it) I wondered what our thoughts were on the mid-engined kits that are already available.

My thoughts on a few:

MK GT1 - Nice looking, good MK quality, great pricing, can't fail IMO

XTR2 - Not as nice as the MK but OK, Westfield reputation and pricing!, will sell on the name alone.

Coram LMP - Looks nice from the very limited and enhanced photos seen so far, it looks like pricing will put it more in XTR2 territory which means it will have to be good.

Sylva Mojo - Not totally convinced by the looks, but seems well put together, being car based will appeal to many

GTM Libra - OK looks, well built

Midtec Spyder - goofy looks, reworked IIRC, slightly improved.

Dax Kamala - nicely built, but sorry, it is DEAD ugly, different yes, but ugly.

Grinnall Scorpion 4 - Different looks, but I like this one. Oddball donor I think.

Brooke ME90 - nice rear, so so front, very limited market IMO

Ariel Atom - Nice concept, but could have looked better IMO.

Phantom GTR - Nice looker, a little generic but nice. Bit pricey ISTR.

Pell Genesis - Nice overall. I haven't seen much about this recently, is it still around?

Cyclone - Good choice of donor, but the looks don't quite appeal to me. Is this still around?

Utima - Nice, a little generic, but nice and wel done. Super quality....but at a price!

Radical, ADR, AS1 - To me pure track cars.

So what does everyone think?
Is my finger on the pulse? or Am I way out?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 20/11/02 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
i think your right as usual all a bit pricey for joe average except the mk gt1 and mine of course
Rorty

posted on 21/11/02 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've never really been into kits, as I'm 6'7" tall, and I find very few cater for my size, and I also feel a kit is a compromise...not quite a factory car, and not quite home made.
I don't want to belittle anyone who builds a kit car, far from it, but I prefer more of a challenge. I drive around everywhere, and look at cars thinking, "now if I had that, I'd pull a mould off the back of it, then chuck the whole rear end, and graft on a tube frame with a mid engine set-up, and have a fibreglass flip back".
I have a list of suitable engines/trans (some in-line, and some transverse), and their lengths from the forward most point on the engine, to the drive shaft centres, to the rearmost part of the trans. I look at cars, and mentally measure the distance from the B post to the rear wheel centre, and dream! There are so many good looking cars, hatchbacks especially, that would lend themselves to this process. Think along the basis of the Metro 6R4.
In practical terms, it's so easy to do, the hardest part is the fibreglass flip (though having made a plug for a fibreglass Beetle body, that side of it doesn't really phase me now).
Obviously it's not necessary to have a rear flip, a removeable bulkhead works well, the only drawback is that the engine has to be installed/withdrawn through the passenger door.
I haven't done it yet, but a hatchback with a removeable rear bumper/sill would make engine yanking a lot easier. The venerable Hillman Imp was one of a number of cars to employ this method of engine removal.
You can start off with a base model, and upgrade the brakes from a sportier version, or in the case of some of the popular hatchbacks, there are race/rally components available for them.
Many of the cute hatches are catered for by the aftermarket body kit people too, for a bit of individualism.
While you're wielding the angle grinder and MIG, you can customise the seating to suit your preferences.
The best part of the whole process is, you can end up with a good looking car with a stonking great motor, good brakes, and impeccable mid engined handling.
I've built a load of mid engined cars (including 5 Beetles, due to the ability of their body to fall off the floor pan), and each one has been an outstanding performer.
I never really bothered with many pics of the various builds, but Im more than happy to help anyone else wanting to "mid" a car.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TheGecko

posted on 21/11/02 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
Alan,

I'm pretty much in agreement with your list and comments, particularly with regard to the Kamala (crazy sci-fi styling!) and the Mojo and Midtec, both of which look like jelly moulds. I *do* however like the looks of the Libra and I think the Cyclone is a good interpretation of the Seven theme in mid-engined form. With regard to the Coram - is there a decent photo actually anywhere on the web?

Rorty,

Welcome to the group. Your statement
quote:

I have a list of suitable engines/trans (some in-line, and some transverse), and their lengths from the forward most point on the, to the drive shaft centres, to the rearmost part of the trans.

made me sit up a bit. Would you be able to post the list somewhere for all to see? I'd be happy to add the few numbers I have from my research.

Re: dropping a FWD powertrain in the middle of an unsuspecting little hatchback. This is a thought I have entertained many times, with a variety of potential victimes However, the difficulty is getting such a creation approved for registration in Australia This means it is easier to build from scratch than it is to modify. And that's what I'm doing now

Dominic

Alan B

posted on 21/11/02 at 02:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
....With regard to the Coram - is there a decent photo actually anywhere on the web?........

Short answer, no.

There are two "digitally enhanced" pictures that look OK, but I share your feelings. I cannot believe there are no real photos of any part of the project so far into it. Surely they must have at least a rolling chassis to whet people's appetites?

I understand and accept the "not showing anything till you are happy" philosphy (dead oppposite to me ), but how many MK GT1's and XTR2's will have been sold in the meantime?

Still, none of my business really I guess.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/11/02 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Which Kit had a cover picture of the new Mojo II - still wouldn't be my choice, but it does look a whole heap better. A lot less 'jelly mould' and more like a '7'.

David

Spyderman

posted on 21/11/02 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

I think overall you have it about right, but some personal differences.

GTM Libra: I think this is "Sex on Wheels". Absolutely stunning looking car.

Midtec Spyder: Although different I think it is good looking. Very nearly bought one when it first came out.

Ultima: Good looking, but too big and doesn't justify high price.

Mojo: Interesting, but not my choice.

Dax Kamala: Agreed, butt ugly.

Coram: Looked better in first artist's impressions.

A lot of the others I cannot visualise at the moment.
How about some links so we can go and look?

Terry

interestedparty

posted on 21/11/02 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I personally think that the Ultima is one of the best looking cars available, kit or mainstream manufacturer. Now if they only made a version that was big enough to take a full size person then I would know what to put on my Xmas wish-list
BTW why do people put those grotesque iron-block big V8's in Ultimas? If they want big power they should use something like a turbocharged quad cam V6.

John

[Edited on 21/11/02 by interestedparty]

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

MrFluffy

posted on 21/11/02 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
big v8's

Big chevy v8 = shedloads of hp without breaking the bank on tuning parts or having a stressed motor. Cheap way of going very fast. Id rather have a rover motor anyday though, at least they have aluminium blocks...

Alan B

posted on 21/11/02 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ultima

John, I agree with "one of the best looking", my only gripe is between the front wheel arches, it looks a bit flat or hollow, look at the Stealth or other LMP type cars by comparison. But, no doubt, it is very nice.

Small block Chevy V8s are the only engine recommended and supported by the factory, but I agree they are a bit long in the tooth, heavy and low-tech...although Mr Fluffy's points are all valid.

The Cadillac Northstar is a nice engine, 4.6 litre all alloy, 4 cam 32 valve V8, makes 275 to 300 HP stock. I've seen them for sale for less than $1000.

interestedparty

posted on 21/11/02 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrFluffy
Big chevy v8 = shedloads of hp without breaking the bank on tuning parts or having a stressed motor. Cheap way of going very fast. Id rather have a rover motor anyday though, at least they have aluminium blocks...

I did know they were cheap (comparatively) and I would recommend one to anyone building say a Cobra replica, but when taken in the overall context of an Ultima pricelist, it does seem a bit odd to spoil an otherwise tasteful and expensive car with an engine like that. A Chevrolet LS1 which is all alloy and much more sophisticated, or as ALan says, the North Star would be much more appropriate
John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

cluget

posted on 5/12/02 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Chevy HP

The Chevy V8's can be gotten in all Aluminum and are about 150 lbs lighter than the cast iron block (if my memory serves me correct). You can order such a "crate motor" directly from GM, and I've been told that the price is reasonable.

The northstar engine is nice, and there are several turbo kits that produce 400 HP + that are reliable and have been used in several applications for years (dune buggys for instance!)

cluge

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.