Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to do testing
kb58

posted on 19/8/03 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Where to do testing

When my car is done, (but without the body shell) I want to do some shakedown testing before painting the frame and installing the bodywork. Testing to me means checking for parts falling off, fluids leaking out, general handling quirks, determining if the sway bars and springs are too big or too small, and finding out what bracketry I've left off... that sort of thing. It could all be done in a day.

Since I'm in Southern California it's proving tough to find a place... there aren't any abandoned airfields like our friends have across the pond. I've contacted the local racetracks and they've been somewhat helpful, though one place has me annoyed. When I asked what their rules are for testing a car that doesn't have a body shell, their reply was, "why would you do that?" Grrrr.
Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud, wondering what others have done. Like I said, I don't think it's likely I'll find an empty shopping center parking lot around here... Regardless, I'd have to trailer it there, knowing there's a good chance it may break...

[Edited on 19/8/03 by kb58]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 19/8/03 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Kurt, what about an autocross?

There was someone doing exactly the same thing (running a rolling chassis only) at a local event on Sunday....

As long as the safety requirements are met they will find a class for it...some even have extra days just for testing...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kb58

posted on 19/8/03 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
That might be what I'm forced to do, but I don't care for it. The "return on investment" is lousy because I'd being paying $30-40 for what, 2 minutes of "test time?" I really think I'd need hours. A open track day is what I'd really like.... but I'll take what I can get.
Alan B

posted on 19/8/03 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
When I lived in the Uk and made kits (20 years ago) we had "trade" plates...basically a unversal license plate you throw on anything......we would often test drive rolling chassis on ordinary streets (and legally....)

Those were the days.......

kb58

posted on 19/8/03 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Now see... there you go... about "that place" over there, where it's Sports Car Heaven with a track in every county and where people know and understand sports cars.

I don't need to hear this, nope, (covers ears) "blah blah blah."

Alan B

posted on 19/8/03 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote

sgraber

posted on 20/8/03 at 01:19 AM Reply With Quote
This is a tough question. I was going to try the local community college parking lot on a weekend late in the afternoon.... yes?

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

ProjectLMP

posted on 20/8/03 at 02:46 AM Reply With Quote
Couldn't you go to one of the open wheel test sessions they hold at tracks. They usually aren't that busy. I guess the only problem may be that you need a race license.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

pbura

posted on 20/8/03 at 04:31 AM Reply With Quote
How about posting a notice on the NA list?

Maybe someone can get you into a closed business/industrial lot on a Sunday.

Rorty

posted on 20/8/03 at 04:46 AM Reply With Quote
kb 58:
quote:

I don't think it's likely I'll find an empty shopping center parking lot..

So what's wrong with a half empty one? More fun, a bit like an autocourse!
Do you live on a bot, or are there just no roads around you?

Seriously now, what about a parking lot after hours, a tennis complex, running track, school yard (during or after hours), military parade ground, church yard etc?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Metal Hippy

posted on 20/8/03 at 04:47 AM Reply With Quote
If it's got any kind of handling abilities the US police cars wouldn't be able to keep up with you on a normal road....

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Spyderman

posted on 20/8/03 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Metal Hippy
If it's got any kind of handling abilities the US police cars wouldn't be able to keep up with you on a normal road....

But what the Police lack in skills, they compensate in guns.
With no bodywork you really are a siting duck!

We may have a race track in most counties, but access to them is limited and expensive.
And I thought you Americans were the lucky ones with all that open space and few people about!
Can't you just trailer it out to a quiet place and try it there?

Terry

Spyderman

kb58

posted on 20/8/03 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I'm aware about taking it to some lot, but I don' think it would work out. It'd have to be trailered, so there's little chance of running off quickly if the property owner shows up. And it would be awfully hard to say "I didn't think you'd mind." Southern California just doesn't work that way... overcrowded, expensive land, and too many lawyers... a bad mix. And lastly, because of 9/11, otherwise quiet parking lots now all have some sort of secuity. It isn't like it used to be.

I just asked to see what others have done. I still think the only practical solution (around here at least,) is to take it to a track.

MattWatson

posted on 20/8/03 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
You could talk to security at your local mall and see if they would mind if you drove around after hours. Most don't care, and will wonder why you even asked .

I was doing something similar one day, and a security car came up, and asked what I was doing. I told them "driving around" and said okay, and drove off.

Didn't seem to care one bit.

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

sgraber

posted on 21/8/03 at 03:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MattWatson
You could talk to security at your local mall and see if they would mind if you drove around after hours. Most don't care, and will wonder why you even asked .

I think this is worth a try. Why not do some "recon" at the local mall and at least 'ask'... If your shopping malls are like AZ, then on Sundays they close at 6:00pm that even leaves you with some daylight. The worst that could happen is they say no.

Steve

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

merkurman

posted on 22/8/03 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
skip asking a mall.....they normally don't want to have people hanging out testing cars in the parking lot......maybe find a place for sale wiht no real owner....back roads work good too. ask around to some large fab shops or other car rich places where they might let you play a bit for them to look it over on a weekend and and have a little BS session. hehehe mount a wing on it and take it to a airport...."I go as fast as I can but it still won't lift off the ground..."

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.