Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do windows have to work for MOT?
tegwin

posted on 1/2/09 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Do windows have to work for MOT?

The window mechanisms on the TVR are way passed being usable....

Will I have any issues with MOT if there is no handle on the winder spindle and, for all intents and purposes the windows are then fixed closed?

You can open and close the windows using a combination of the winding handle and hands either side of the glass to raise/lower them... so I will have to live with that until I can afford new window mechanics..

But is it legal to do that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

theconrodkid

posted on 1/2/09 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
nope

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rusty nuts

posted on 1/2/09 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Windows do not come into the MOT test.
Mansfield

posted on 1/2/09 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

They did on mine. The tester saw the CV boots had been changed and saw all the grease all over the underside of the car, he was pretty sure one would be knackered. He took it for a quick swing around the car park but because he couldn't wind the window down he couldn't tell which one and failed both!

I didn't mind this at all, although it probably not part of the test, because they were both rattling he was right to apply some common sense to it all. He had let lots of silly things go in the past so that was fair enough.

Mark G

posted on 1/2/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mansfield
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

They did on mine. The tester saw the CV boots had been changed and saw all the grease all over the underside of the car, he was pretty sure one would be knackered. He took it for a quick swing around the car park but because he couldn't wind the window down he couldn't tell which one and failed both!

I didn't mind this at all, although it probably not part of the test, because they were both rattling he was right to apply some common sense to it all. He had let lots of silly things go in the past so that was fair enough.

I don't know where you went for your test but I'd not go back there again if I were you. The tester can't 'Take if for a spin' to find a noisey cv joint. If he/she can't find it on a ramp then they can't fail it. Also the windows are not part of the mot.

tegwin

posted on 1/2/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking of "taking it for a spin"

what do you guys/gals do when you take your "interesting" cars in to be MOTd?

Do you stand over them and make sure they dont break/abuse the car or just leave them to it for a bit?

Im slightly nervous of the prospect of giving anyone the keys to such a fragile car!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

Mansfield

posted on 1/2/09 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
The CV joints did need replacing, I have no problem with that. I was let off loads of by the book stuff before that. IMHO it was a common sense ruling.

EDIT - the windows thing was a bit of a joke, I know they are not a test item. Seriously though, wouldn't you want a tester to fail stuff that is bad rather than pass on a technicality?

[Edited on 1/2/09 by Mansfield]

Danozeman

posted on 1/2/09 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Knocking Cv joints dont come into an mot. Only the boots split will fail.

As for the windows they are fine shut. Take the winders off though so he doesnt try to open them.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

handyandy

posted on 1/2/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
i don,t think the prob with your window/s is such a big problem that you think it is, the glass may have just slipped off it,s runner or a joint in the winder mechanism has seized, i had a similar prob on my car, half an hour after taking the door card off the window worked a treat, a bit fiddly as access is tight so small hands help.
andy

tegwin

posted on 2/2/09 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by handyandy
i don,t think the prob with your window/s is such a big problem that you think it is, the glass may have just slipped off it,s runner or a joint in the winder mechanism has seized, i had a similar prob on my car, half an hour after taking the door card off the window worked a treat, a bit fiddly as access is tight so small hands help.
andy

Sadly not... I have just re-assembled the doors/windows/frames

The actual regulating mechanism is kaput... The glass is tight in the frame, so presumably the winder has been over worked and damaged the teeth on it....

adithorp

posted on 2/2/09 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried some silicone spray on the tracks. Can help a lot.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.