Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Single seater with a different engine
DIY Si

posted on 15/3/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Single seater with a different engine

Just having a quick sit and a think as you do after dinner, and was wondering if the plans for the single seater will be easily adapted to run with a car engine and, for example, audi transaxle? The thought I had in mind as that I have an Alfa V6 sat in garage awaiting a re-build, but the way things are going I doubt I will be able to afford the Epona I was going to put it in.
So, and I know this may be a question best asked to Chris, do we think it would be much bother to re-design the rear end to accept a V6 and transaxle? Or would it be easier/better to re-design the whole car to take the higher loads it will experience with the more powerful and heavier engine? Or should I just leave it as a post dinner thought?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

zilspeed

posted on 15/3/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
The main issue as I see it is that is the Audi transaxle is very heavy compared to a Hewland.
It does cost a fraction of the sum that a Hewland fetches, but it's an awfull lot of weight hung out the back of an otherwise light and nimble single seater.
Wouldn't be quite as much of an issue in a road going mid engined sports racing car, which is relatively weighty but it's still huge compared to a Hewland.

In a genuine racer, it would be too much of a compromise.

I would still consider using the Audi transaxle myself, but only because I believe that the engine should be longitudinal to be pukka.

It's all a load of compromises

DIY Si

posted on 15/3/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
It wouldn't have to be the Audi option, merely what came to mind. Whilst it would be the best option for performance, would a Hewland not be a bit OTT for the road? And as you say, fiendishly expensive. As for weight, the V6 isn't exactly feather weight! It would add a good 150 or so kgs to the car. But with an awesome sound track.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

designer

posted on 15/3/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a car engined single seat it was done 40 years ago.

The Terrapin.

Could be a good project. I have a set of plans somewhere.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
It wouldn't have to be the Audi option, merely what came to mind. Whilst it would be the best option for performance, would a Hewland not be a bit OTT for the road? And as you say, fiendishly expensive. As for weight, the V6 isn't exactly feather weight! It would add a good 150 or so kgs to the car. But with an awesome sound track.

My misunderstanding.
I thought you wanted longitudinal - like the VAG B5 platform uses.
That's a rare case of a longitudinal front wheel drive package.

I have had discussions with several people on the whole issue of using FWD transverse packages for a mid engined car. Much as it does work, there are definitely issues with weight distribution.
How much of the drivetrain load is over the front wheels ? Not a lot really. It's quite strongly biased towards rear weight distribution.

With the VAG B5 gearbox placing the engine longitudinally, this issue is partly addressed.

Finally, the only racing car I ever remember having a transverse engine was the Van Diemen formula first. This wasn't because it was better. It was because it used production parts and avoided the cost of a Hewland.

The only other mainstream longitudinal alternatives are the Renault UN1 and Subaru FWD gearboxes, but the Subaru packaging is very odd with loads of gearbox hanging out behind the driveshafts and the Renault is a bit of a oddball box to find.
The B5 box has been made in droves from 1995 up the current day.

You takes your choice etc.

DIY Si

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Only thing is, it's not really the look I'm after. Whilst handling is obviously very important, the thinking was aimed at a road car, and making it look more like the old Le Mans cars with their longitudinal V engines. And I think I've had enough of playing with the A series for now, having gotten a race engined mini in the garage. I'd rather something a bit more up to date.

ZIl, you were right the first time round, I am after an inline set up.

Essentially this:

[img]http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-16033067.jpg?size=67&uid={fd8734bc-e17e-4cf5-b9a7-edc5d2703ec1}[/img]

[Edited on 15/3/09 by DIY Si]

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

designer

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Build a Terrapin and plonk a modern transverse unit in the back.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Arrgh, damn pic links.

Right, just think of an old(er) F1 type car, with a big inline engine and a hewland type transaxle hanging out the back.

IE like this

#

[Edited on 15/3/09 by DIY Si]

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

wrigglypig

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone got a link to the plans for a terrapin??

Scoobythedog

posted on 15/3/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
wriggly, seems a fair bit of info here terrapin

Looks great from the front, but the back may be trouble to get through the IVA.

Scooby

minitici

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
A cheaper alternative to the Hewland box could be the Renault NG3 transaxle (as fitted to 2 Litre Fuego and Espace models).

This unit is often used in Lotus Europa conversions
Banks-Europa
There is also the Renault UN1 transaxle favoured by the GT40 brigade.
Just so happens, I have two NG3 transaxles in the shed......

Triton

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Mini bloke,
Do you do a reverse doodah for your chain driven diff?

Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

minitici

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Mini bloke,
Do you do a reverse doodah for your chain driven diff?

Mark

Hi Mark, Yes! I have sent U2U
Doug.

chrisg

posted on 16/3/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've not gone into details regarding a car engine fitment, I'm a bit busy!

Because I've been asked, I checked the 4 cylinder Audi engine and 016 transaxle. Physically they fit in the chassis without serious modification - that's all I know.

Looking at the space and knowing that the 6 cylinder engine is longer than the 4, it might fit but I can't say for certain until....

a. I get a minute to scratch my ars*

and

b. I get to measure up the engine.

If anyone has drawings or 3d models of the engine (in any format) that would be lovely. I have made a simple "block" model of the transaxle already.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Chris

BTW Terrapin books (High Speed, Low Cost) are available Here

I think Alan Staniforth is still selling plans too........

[Edited on 16/3/09 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Rod Ends

posted on 16/3/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Honda RA272 - transverse V12

zilspeed

posted on 16/3/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
A cheaper alternative to the Hewland box could be the Renault NG3 transaxle (as fitted to 2 Litre Fuego and Espace models).

This unit is often used in Lotus Europa conversions
Banks-Europa
There is also the Renault UN1 transaxle favoured by the GT40 brigade.

Which car used this transaxle Doug ?

minitici

posted on 16/3/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by minitici

Which car used this transaxle Doug ?

As above or the one in the picture?

The picture is of my Royale RP29 before I whipped out the Espace engine & gearbox.

DIY Si

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, if the Audi 4 pot fits, then my idea might well work, as it's a V6, not a straight 6, although I reckon it's about the same length as a 4 pot. Do you reckon it might fit width wise?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

chrisg

posted on 17/3/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
The top chassis rails are 590mm apart in the engine bay - now we need someone to measure an Audi engine!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

DIY Si

posted on 17/3/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well, the Alfa engine I have is 59 cm at it's widest across the cam covers, but only 55cm at the heads. And it's roughly 70 cm tall. So it might fit. Just.
Chris, how long is the engine bay going to be? The Alfa lump is 56 cm from the front pulley to the bellhousing mounting face. MMmm, looks like my vague plan may work after all.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

chrisg

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Bulkhead to the next chassis frame.......

570mm!

So you've got a full 10mm to play with!

Actually there's probably some leeway in recessing the bulkhead and modifing the chassis frame too. In the worse case you could extend the engine bay and wheelbase a bit, the standard size engine cover wouldn't fit - not a problem if you're making your own.

Height wise the engine bay is about 560mm, so you'd have to maybe look at a sump chop (or a dry sump kit) and a power bulge in the engine cover.

Cheers

Chris

DIY Si

posted on 20/3/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
10mm is loads! Especially if I can incorporate the gearbox adapter plate into the chassis frame. Height wise, that was IIRC with the standard sump and inlet gear, which is set up for FWD, so it'd need modifying anyway. It'll be tight, but I reckon I can get away with it.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Terrapin_racing

posted on 7/10/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, build a terrapin - you know you want to

last of the books just gone on ebay - search on 'high speed low cost'

big_wasa

posted on 7/10/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Can you get the plans ?
Terrapin_racing

posted on 7/10/12 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Why not build a Terrapin and put the v6 in the back

[Edited on 7/10/12 by Terrapin_racing]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.