Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Loom spliced into car loom
dmulally

posted on 17/3/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Loom spliced into car loom

Hi All,

I have a 4xv 99 R1 engine with no wiring loom. It has some connectors sticking out of it but that is all. I have ordered the Haynes manual to even see what they are.

It is going into a running car which will essentially be an engine transplant. I dont want to use the r1 clocks to keep the car original (Its an Imp).

Can someone please let me know if it is best to get a full loom and chop it or is it possible to wire it into the cars wiring? I got the carby model as I am trying to keep it simple. I know nothing about bike engines so its all good learning.

If it best to get a full loom, does anyone over your way sell them? In australia, its pretty rare.

Cheers

Damo

Paul TigerB6

posted on 17/3/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Having done the job myself - get yourself a loom off ebay and strip back what you dont need before splicing it into the car loom (only 3 or 4 wires from memory!!)

The manual is available from here to download so have a look - you can save it to your computer as a PDF file

smart51

posted on 17/3/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I used the R1 loom. I wired it into the battery along with the car loom and bridged in ignition and crank, but then I wanted to keep all the wiring for the clock and the exup motor.

If you feel confident wiring in the starter, generator and regulator, TPS and crank sensor into the ECU then save yourself some cash. It would be easier to take an existing loom and cut out the lights and indicators.

dmulally

posted on 20/3/09 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link for the manuals. I only just ordered my Haynes manual.

I didnt know the carby version had an ecu...?

Ill have to keep trying to find a loom. They are pretty thin on the ground over here sadly.

Cheers Lads

Damo

dmulally

posted on 1/7/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

I just received the loom from Malc (thanks Malc, spot on) this week and just clipping it all together to see what goes where as per the diagram. There is a whole lot left over but I wont start chopping yet.

Two things have me stumped though. Does anyone know what the following are?

Ignore the wire in my hand. I traced that one. I dont know what goes onto this sensor though.

I can find a couple of things that plug into this but I cant find it on the wire diagram or matching wires. It goes around into the block on the non sprocket side if that makes sense.

Cheers

Damo

dmulally

posted on 2/7/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris.

For the second one, I have two matching plugs but they have different colour wires on it.

The crank sensor is grey and dark grey and they choices I have ready to clip in are yellow/brown and dark grey and blue with a black stripe....?

fege

posted on 2/7/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
The Yamaha service manual states Gray and Black/Blue for the pick-up coil and so does the Haynes manual. The only yellow and brown plug I can find is for the rear brake light switch.
Hope this helps.

[Edited on 2/7/09 by fege]

dmulally

posted on 2/7/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, that does.

I thought it was the pickup coil but the wire diagram makes it look white!

Has anyone got any tips for getting it started on the bench?

Thanks in advance.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.