Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: immigration to australia?
CraigJ

posted on 7/8/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
immigration to australia?

Me and my other half are considering moving to Oz in a couple of years but we have no idea on how to go about it. Has anyone on here moved to Oz that can point me in the right direction of useful info. Google fetches up lots of info sites but i don't know where to start looking. Can any body recomend a good useful site.

Thanks Craig.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/8/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
one of my friends did that 2 years ago, think he needed a job placement first to get in

I think that’s generally the case unless you’re a doctor or engineer etc he was just a trainee machinist and so had to show he had a job to go to

[Edited on 7/8/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinny1275

posted on 7/8/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
There are loads of different visa options - independent skilled (175) is the best one, it's a permanent residence visa.

A sponsored visa leaves you open to the possibilty of your employer making you redundant - you'd then have 28 days to find a new job with a sponsor, or get booted out of the country.

You'll need to get your skills assessed b whichever body does your skill before you can apply for your visa. If your assessment puts you in a job which is on the critical skills list (CSL), your application will get looked at first. If it's not, at the moment, it might be quite a while before you get your application processed.

You want to look at http://immi.gov.au for a wizard of the different visa types. For the emigration version of lcb, go to BritishExpats, some very knowledgeable peeps (and some agents) on there.

HTH, feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

Vince

iank

posted on 7/8/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely go out on a permanent resident scheme rather than a work permit (if you want to stay out there). Employers can treat work permit people far worse than permanents for the reasons given ^^^.

One important thing - go out for a long holiday in the area's you're considering first, and don't just sit your arse on the beach for the whole time . Make sure you can stand both the weather and the people as they aren't going to change for you. Worth considering Canada (British Columbia) and NZ as well.

I did the same thing 10 years ago, spending 4 years in Canada, going out was one of the better decisions I've made, coming back was, in hindsight, not.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

BenB

posted on 7/8/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Criminal record and a box of limes?
iank

posted on 7/8/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ reminds me, if you have any kind of criminal record, no matter how minor, be prepared to spend a lot of time talking about it and for disappointment. If you don't put it on the forms it's a guaranteed fail when they find out about it (friend of mine got caught when trying for Aus).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

wilkingj

posted on 7/8/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
My mate and his wife went out there, and ended up coming back.

They moved into an area with not many Ex-Pats. Then they found one round the corner. They then couldnt get rid of them!
The problem was most aussies just Say "G'day" and leave it at that.
They get one weather forecast per day, and its usually the same "Hot and Dry"

UK people are used to speaking about the weather several times a day as it changes so much.

These other people were starved of conversation and locked onto my mate and his wife for the verbal contact they so sorely missed.

As said above, make sure you check out every aspect. They live on the verandah with the Barbie stoked all day and a fridge full of watery beer.

If you are into the outdoor and beach lifestyles, then you will probably find its great.
If thats not your cup of tea, then choose carefully, and check it out thouroughly before making the jump.

Having said that, its only a 24 hour plane journey to get back home to good old Blighty!

BTW.. I have two cousins in Perth, they went out tehre in the early 60's on the £10 assisted passage.

Finally its NOT a land of milk and honey. Its like any other country, it has it good points and its bad points.
I also suspect the welfare state is not as generous or as easy to claim on as back here!

PS... Yes I AM biased

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 7/8/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Criminal record and a box of limes?

Un-fortunately there is ONLY one crime currently on the statute books for which Transportation to the Colonies is the Tarriff.

The heinous crime that you must commit in order to receive the punishment is also rather obscure, and a tad dificult to commit. This specific crime is that of, Stealing A Loaf Of Bread From A Shop On London Bridge.
So therein lies a further problem to this approach.

Finnally, should you be successful in committing the crime, Finding a policeman who could arrest you for this crime, and be lucky enough to have a lawyer who could argue this sentence for you (remember HMG would rather you paid a hefty fine as they are financially embarassed), your last problem is that the ONLY colony still available is British Honduras.

Personally I would do it the legal way and make sure that when you go out there you go with the attitude of ' I am here what can I do for you' rather than holiday or 'I am here what can you do for me'.
The latter 2 attitudes resulted in my brother in law basically being as good as kicked out even though he reckoned he was a millionaire.
My sister who went out to Oz 40+ years ago as a £10 pom, has now retired, comfortably off in a costal town (Bowen, Queensland) where she is appreciated and liked by the community.

[Edited on 7/8/09 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

CraigJ

posted on 7/8/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Some good advice, thanks guys. We will be looking for permanent resident visa's. Neither me nor my fiancee has a criminal record what so ever, im 26 my fiancee is 22 so were both still young. We only bought our first house a year ago and are tied into our mortgage for 4 more years so it will be 3-4 years before we start making any seriuos progress to moving.

The main reason for us wanting to go is we are both bored of the uk, My fiancee is Chinese but was born here but her parents are moving back to Hong Kong once they have sold up here so she will no longer have any ties to the uk except me and i would like to move to Oz and so would she. The only other country we are interested in is Canada (fiancee has family there) But we know nothing about the country.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/8/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly one thing you could do is have a look around the area using Google maps street view (the one that uses the 360 deg van camera). Most of Australia’s roads & towns, city’s etc are covered and the guy I work next to, who recently moved here from Australia actually went house hunting in Scotland while at his desk in Australia using google maps! Said it was a god send for him and was able to check what the areas where like before ever seeing them in real life.

[Edited on 7/8/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Jasper

posted on 7/8/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
I know three lots of people who moved there, and then came back a few years later, all saying the same thing really:

Nice lifestyle - but you'll always be a 'Pom' to the locals and they got really hacked off with that. They also got bored - there only so much sea and sun and barbies and stuff, then they all missed the variety and interest of living in the UK.

I even went over there on a one way ticket, planning to marry a local, came back after 10 months - never did find the locals particularly friendly, and everything seemed a bit like it was in the UK 10 years early (no offence meant to any Aussies - it truely is a beautiful country).

And once you settle there it does make it hard to come back, you miss the friends/family and everything british, but then when you do come back you miss the lovely lifestyle over there - and it is a bloody long way away.

There was a very good tv prog on it a year ago, interviewing ex-pats in OZ, and much of what they said was along the same lines.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

nstrug

posted on 7/8/09 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CraigJ
Some good advice, thanks guys. We will be looking for permanent resident visa's. Neither me nor my fiancee has a criminal record what so ever, im 26 my fiancee is 22 so were both still young. We only bought our first house a year ago and are tied into our mortgage for 4 more years so it will be 3-4 years before we start making any seriuos progress to moving.

The main reason for us wanting to go is we are both bored of the uk, My fiancee is Chinese but was born here but her parents are moving back to Hong Kong once they have sold up here so she will no longer have any ties to the uk except me and i would like to move to Oz and so would she. The only other country we are interested in is Canada (fiancee has family there) But we know nothing about the country.

If it's simply because you're bored of the UK, why not try something closer to home but different enough that you probably won't be bored?

The things that you find boring about the UK, you are also likely to find boring about Oz, as culturally they are very similar.

If I were looking to emigrate, I would seriously consider Germany or one of the Scandiwegian countries, Sweden probably. If I were feeling a little more adventurous, perhaps Slovenia, Morocco or the Lebanon.

The advantages of an EU country of course is that you don't need any kind of work permit or visa.

Nick

TPG

posted on 7/8/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have residencey for Nz (Qualified good looking smug t"&t). I was in Oz 2 months ago on the way to Nz to keep my visas up. We stopped with a friend of mine that went out 3 years ago.
They are in a bigger house with swimming pool and have the sun on their back. Thats petty much it. They are happy with this.
Me, I'm looking to get better than I have here.Theres no point in going otherwise. For me personally,Oz isn't as nice Nz overall. Why am I not there yet? Can't find a secure job.I don't want to be spending my savings on rent......
Theres a lot to consider.You will still be working.It'll just be sunnier.Ask yourself why so many Aussies and Kiwis are over here...Its bL%%y deep.
Good luck with what ever route you take

..Which was nice..

bj928

posted on 7/8/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
i want to move to america, as a truck driver, thats not easy but i'll do it one day, even if i have to marry some redneck bird to do it!!!!!!!!!!!
WanchaiWarrior

posted on 9/8/09 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to write a long post on my situation and experiences of both Hong Kong (almost 10 years) and Oz (over 3 years), but to cut a long story short, dont cut all ties with UK when you leave just in case it doesnt work out. But if you can organise to leave, do it to find out. Every ones circumstances are different, but if you feel like trying something else, then its better to have tried. Oh, and you should take your kit with you. Cars are expensive and boring in Oz.
RK

posted on 10/8/09 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
I have never lived in a foreign country, but know a lot about my own, speak both official languages fluently, and have family in Japan and Oz, as well as the UK. I have noticed something that has never been mentioned: it seems to be easier to avoid homesickness (which happens even at 50 years of age, believe me!) if your partner is from the same place you are. These people seem happily settled, because your culture is always with you, and all the mismatches never seem to settle. My wife complained when we were in BC, where I am from, and I complain about bad, harsh winters, hot humid summers, and idiot people here.

Canada is so big, it feels like a completely different country, with the same idiot prime minister, no matter where you go. I am a LONG ways from my home, and after 10 1/2 years, I am ready to throw away a successful business just to go back.

If someone gets bored in the UK, they are not looking for things to do. The only thing that has ever bored me on long visits, is the sometime endless summer rain. I think you have to be totally off your family, or exceedingly broke and starving to make it as an immigrant anywhere. My inlaws were the former.

My advice: try going to Oz or wherever for a year or two on a work exchange, college, uni or something, and go from there. What do you get in Oz and Canada? SPACE. This is what you will never get in Europe or the UK. What don't you get? Culture.

morcus

posted on 10/8/09 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
I looked into moving away to another country whilst trying to work out what I wanted to do, the only problem is that I couldn't pick a place as they all have pros and cons. I would say do as much finding out as you can before you go, My cousin moved to NZ and had a freezing winter because he hadn't realised how cold it would be without thing like double glazing and central heating. Write down all the reasons why you want to go and then think hard about if they're good or bad reasons.

The working better if your from the same place thing is intresting, I suppose it means you've got someone else who is part of your culture, a colony of 2 almost.

RK

posted on 10/8/09 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
You know, having said all my drivel just above, my wife and I agreed that we would like to move to Kent County (at least for a while) - we like the nice and slow. Can you do something about the dog quarantine thing? We don't want her to be stuck in a cage for 3 months.
Staple balls

posted on 10/8/09 at 03:13 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/ should have useful info.

morcus

posted on 10/8/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
If you do decide to move here, central and west kent are probably the areas to go for.
David Jenkins

posted on 10/8/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter's currently in Sydney in a sponsored job, with the aim of getting resident status next year.

There are a few things you should know during the current financial situation:

1. If you want to stay there you'll have to find an employer who'll sponsor you for residency (you have to work there in an immigration-approved full-time job for a set period).

2. Oz hasn't been as hard-hit by the recession as the UK, but sponsored jobs are VERY scarce - at the moment immigration are being very tough, trying to keep jobs for the Aussies currently out of work (understandable).

3. When to get to the stage where you can apply for residency, it will cost you about A$8000 - roughly £5000 - each.

4. Life can be tough when you first arrive - you may experience some prejudice (although my daughter didn't experience that too much). You may also end up staying in a less-than-wonderful district - my neighbour's daughter and family have been burgled twice since arriving in Perth last year. It's not until you get established there that you find out where the nice places are!

5. If you are unlucky the employer you sign up with while in the UK can mess your life up when you get there. The neighbour's son-in-law is an electrician; he knew that he would have to retrain when he got there, but his boss wouldn't sign off on his skills because he wanted to keep him as cheap labour. I believe that ended up in court. Now he is fully qualified and OK.

On the plus side, if you've got a skill they need then life's a lot easier - my daughter works for an employment agency ("media", whatever that means) and she has many more vacancies than people to fill them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.