Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 4130 Chromoly tubing
philipcurtis100

posted on 18/9/09 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
4130 Chromoly tubing

has anyone got a chassis made of this?

does anyone know where to get this from?

what size tube should i use for a ladder chassis?

JeffHs

posted on 18/9/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I used it for my wishbone bushes because I could get a short length with the right ID. I got mine from the US - Aircraft Spruce, but a friend of a friend flies for Virgin, so he brought it back for me. A friend bought enough to make a Piper Cub some years ago, got it shipped from the States. There is a British agent for Aircraft Spruce, I don't know of any other suppliers.

By the way - why? what's wrong with mild steel like the rest of us use? My chassis weighed very little until I welded the floor in

James

posted on 18/9/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
My roll-over bar and back stays are made of it.

I think it's 2.5" x 3mm wall thickness.

It was sponsored by a certain Formula 1 team!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 18/9/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
... I've just fed the troll haven't I!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

hobbsy

posted on 18/9/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had a few decent BMXs years back made of this stuff. Chop a few of them up
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/9/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
is it strength damaged by welding and would you have to use stainless welding wire? I though it was stronger but more brittle than mild steel, which if it was might be dangerous I suppose in a crash.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canada EH!

posted on 18/9/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Most US Sprint cars and old Indy cars were built with it as well as aircraft fusalage.
Some Can -Am cars used it in the suspension, very strong, rollbars can be made with thinner tubing and smaller diameter. I used it in suspension of Datsum 1200 race car, but brazed with nickel bronze rod, no heat problems.
Tig welding is the best, gas welding possible, problem is it has a tendancy to crack along the outer edge of the bead, each weld needs to be crack checked when finished.
CASC and SCCA used to give gauge and diameter sizes for roll bar tubing in both DOM and 4160 (chromoly)

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/9/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
my wishbones are made of it, i got it in the states from a speed shop metal stockist.

Edit
I have Mag Particle Inspected them for cracks following tig welding. Nothing found

[Edited on 18/9/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

nasty-bob

posted on 18/9/09 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding was that chromoly needs heat treating/ stress releiving after welding. Nowadays most motorsport teams use T45, as IIRC it has a higher or similar UTS but does not require stress releiving.

Elmdon metals can supply T45 tube and can probably supply 4130 if you still want it.

Rob

flak monkey

posted on 18/9/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
What masty-bob says above.

But at the end of the day its not worth the extra expense for building a whole chassis out of it. It wont be any stiffer, and mild steel is plenty strong enough for a chassis.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

James

posted on 18/9/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philipcurtis100
has anyone got a chassis made of this?

does anyone know where to get this from?

what size tube should i use for a ladder chassis?

So you've decided to build your fibreglass Mini out of this instead of ali now have you?

philipcurtis100

posted on 18/9/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
dunno yet dont wanna make out of mild steel someone suggested the chromoly he had a westfield made of it
just bought the engine fzr 1000 exup
got the diff and brakes driveshafts etc from a scorpio cosworth so just need to decide on material for chassis then make

Theshed

posted on 18/9/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Try Chassisshop very reasonable - they will post to uk at reasonable rates. For racing or top end performance (god knows why people bother to get stuck in traffic) I suspect that there are very clear benefits from using higher grade steels. T45 is said to have similar weight saving possibilities and is less prone to cracking (apparently) - hard to find on the interweb thingy.
nasty-bob

posted on 18/9/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
The biggest weight savings and stiffness gains for a chassis come from the design ie where you put the tubes. Next is the tube size. Whether you use mild steel, T45 or, 4130 will have very little affect on the weight and stiffness compared to these aspects. Weight savings with T45 and 4130 really are limited to the parts of the car that you will be sizing for failure cases (roll structure and wishbones).

The extra cost and potential difficultly in using other materials far outweighs the potential gains unless you are competing at a high level and have exhausted other methods

Concentrate on obtianing strength from the structure, not from the material. You'll probably want to start again when you get half way through building it anyway

Rob

Benonymous

posted on 21/9/09 at 02:34 AM Reply With Quote
If the chrome moly idea doesn't work out Phillip, what's your next idea, carbon fibre or Titanium?
Staple balls

posted on 21/9/09 at 02:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking unobtainium alloy

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 21/9/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
transparent aluminium

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

andkilde

posted on 21/9/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmn, wasn't there a tasty sports racer built in the 60s of Ali with a balsa wood core?

Ahh, there we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallite

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 21/9/09 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
what are you guys even on about. you dont know nuffink.

I has a nickel chassis that is the lighterist and fasterist in the world.

it goes 14x faster than your steel ones and thats without an engine.

every1 knows steel is oldfashioned and you may aswell use cottage cheese.

Craig

James

posted on 22/9/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
transparent aluminium

Maybe build the bodyshell (including windows) from it too....

You'd just end up with a couple of seats, engine and running gear flying through the air!

James

posted on 22/9/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philipcurtis100

just bought the engine fzr 1000 exup
got the diff and brakes driveshafts etc from a scorpio cosworth so just need to decide on material for chassis then make

Ouch! don't like the sounds of all that weight.

Have you investigated making the driveshafts, brakes, diff gears and the like out of ali as well?

philipcurtis100

posted on 22/9/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
no i dont like the weight aswell
i havent yet

flak monkey

posted on 22/9/09 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just build the bl00dy thing out of mild steel and be done with it.

CrMo is for showing off, it offers NO structural (read STIFFNESS) advantages in chassis construction if the chassis is designed correctly. The only reason to use it is if the chassis is intended to be used in a sport where its highly likely you could be in a huge accident (drag racing etc)

Where it does offer advantages is in roll bars which need STRENGTH. Even then MS is more than adequate and MSA approved!

I would muddy the waters with how to build a light chassis from steel, but the meaning may be lost.

[Edited on 22/9/09 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Liam

posted on 22/9/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Phil - seems like you're more interested in dreaming up a spec that makes for good pub talk than actually building anything. Do you tend to have many project ideas that remain all talk?

Exotic, hard to use materials are only worthwhile if you're building to a demanding spec for an ultra competitive race series where every gram is crucial. Stick to a more modest approach and you might actually achieve something. If it helps the enthusiasm/mate-impressing, promise yourself you'll fit a carbon fibre steering wheel and something made from titanium when it's finished.

Liam

P.S. Uh oh - here comes the titanium chassis thread...

cd.thomson

posted on 23/9/09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

Ouch! don't like the sounds of all that weight.

I think the irony was lost

There are a lot of vhelpful and knowledgable people getting stressed out here. It makes no odds if phil wants to (plan to) build a chassis from unobtanium.

If it were me and the collective knowledge of the site said mild steel was the stuff to use then I know what I'd use - but if I chose something different then have a giggle rather than wasting your time giving my crackpot ideas credence.

[Edited on 23/9/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.