Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rules of engagement
Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Rules of engagement

Obviously been living in a garage too long so I have no idea apart from what I’ve seen on the telly

And obviously this is for someone else’s info and not mine…

What is an engagement ring meant to be made of and how much should it cost (heard some wild, no doubt drug fuelled rumour it was meant to be ¼ of a months wages , god that’s like the cost of a Ferrari for me ) also are they suppose to have some diamond stuck in it too. Would a quality high speed ball race do? stainless off course

Anyone know of such alien things?

Ta

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paul the 6th

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
foxes biscuits have a special offer at the moment, for around £2 you can get approximately 9 of these bad boys:

should keep her happy (and quiet) for around 90 to 120 seconds :p

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
twybrow

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
A 1/4 of a months wages - you'll be lucky!? I have been told it is between 1-2 months wages! Keep saving Mr Whippy!

As for materials, go with what they like... My Mrs hates gold, so if I ever sort it, it will be platinum, with as big a clear rock as I can afford. Unfortuantely, it was a ZX12 lump this month instead!

cd.thomson

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
omg party rings - I'd kill for them.

1/4 of a months wages isn't a lot to spend on an engagement ring. My brother sometimes works on jewellery at Argos and they have them at around £2000

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul the 6th
foxes biscuits have a special offer at the moment, for around £2 you can get approximately 9 of these bad boys:

should keep her happy (and quiet) for around 90 to 120 seconds :p

See as a bloke I can appreciate the real beauty of those biscuits far more than a piece of metal with something that looks like a bit of broken glass in it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woodster

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Whippy you old romantic ....... its not how much it costs
eznfrank

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
You are making the first biggest mistake there in thinking that you only have to buy one engagement ring - unlike I and a number of my mates who ended up buying two - not for two different women either.

I bought the missus one all by myself with no input from her and it was when I had a lot less money and in reality probably did cost about 1/4 of a months salary. But then as time went by she slowly grew less fond of it and I ended up buying a second one for about 2 months salary which she seems happy with for now!!

Platinum is the way to go in terms of metal, but don't forget you've got the diamond lessosn to come yet. I never knew there was so much difference in terms of clarity, cut, colour etc.

I'd "tell your mate" to buy a cheap piece of costume jewellery, propose and then take her to the shop after and get her to pick a real one!

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
1/4 of a months wages isn't a lot to spend on an engagement ring. My brother sometimes works on jewellery at Argos and they have them at around £2000

what? dude you seems to have the shakes and put too many zero's there, didn't you mean £200?

donny

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy,
for your 'friend' I can only share my experience. That type of ring is normally a diamond solataire and you can believe what you like about cost - I've heard up to 3 times monthly salary (pish). When we got engaged the ring was the last thing on my mind. I managed to get down on one knee, ask the question, she said 'Yes' (after - 'Are you winding me up'. We went into town had a stiff drink then chose the ring together.
Pass on my best to your friend!

Don/

02GF74

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

that is madness - what can it do that a 25 p curtain ring can't?

cd.thomson

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
clicky

And I'm using argos to prove a point.. Don't even try going into a proper jewellers!!

oh and O2G, what can your bike do that my 1980s £50 peugeot road bike can't

[Edited on 30/11/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

paul the 6th

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
I'd "tell your mate" to buy a cheap piece of costume jewellery, propose and then take her to the shop after and get her to pick a real one!

that is literally the best idea I've ever heard ever...

Has anyone else noticed the irony of someone asking for advice about buying a wedding ring on a site devoted to saving money? you might wanna try the moneysavingexpert forums as well

[Edited on 30/11/09 by paul the 6th]

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
James

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Erm... Argos and jewelery?

My sister is a qualified goldsmith.... she wouldn't even polish that rubbish for someone.

I know one girl with a £6000 ring that my sister did for her. I know another who's ring probably cost something similar- possibly more.

Rich husbands!

3 months salary is the tradition. But at the end of the day... that's probably a bit silly!

What's wrong with a 19mm copper pipe off-cut I reckon!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
clicky

And I'm using argos to prove a point.. Don't even try going into a proper jewellers!!

oh and O2G, what can your bike do that my 1980s £50 peugeot road bike can't

ehem that's like quite horrifying btw, in a second I’m sure I’m going to wake up…

Steve G

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
As stated - tradition is 3 months salary and you REALLY dont want to let her know you bought it from Argos!! Best sell all your toys mate to pay for it!!
MikeR

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'd agree except a mate did that, she refused to believe he'd be so cheap to propose with a fake ring and is convinced its a real massive diamond.

In 2 years every time he bring it up she thinks he's winding her up. She's still got the fake ring, he's still got the cash in his pocket (well did have, he went out and bought an old BMW a while ago).

Tell your make good luck & the amount of cash thing is a scam from the 1920's. Look it up on google. Its 'supposed' to be around 2 months salary - id say 2 months salary once you've paid all your bills etc

adam1985

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
looks like someone has run out of ideas for a christmas prezzie for the missus
cd.thomson

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

My brother is 17 btw!

Craig

hughpinder

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
HaHaHaHa -- If "he's" worried about the cost of the ring wait till "he" find out what a weddings going to cost.

Isn't there a book "Buy a ring and get engaged for £250"? Or was that optimistic pricing in the 80s? The only way you'll do it for that is:
1* balacalva + gloves - you probably have one for your bike+
1 cheap/used Shotgun (I assume your "mate" can borrow your hacksaw.....)

I think I "got away" with just over half a month salary when I had a moment of insanity.

Regards
Hugh

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
do the blokes get a ring or something they'd like...say a new Chevy v8 engine?

Humbug

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
do the blokes get a ring or something they'd like...say a new Chevy v8 engine?

...or combine the two and start off with a piston ring (reminds me of the Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time"

Humbug

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

My sister is a qualified goldsmith.... she wouldn't even polish that rubbish for someone.

I know one girl with a £6000 ring that my sister did for her. I know another who's ring probably cost something similar- possibly more.

Rich husbands!

3 months salary is the tradition. But at the end of the day... that's probably a bit silly!

What's wrong with a 19mm copper pipe off-cut I reckon!

Cheers,
James

You cheapskate, James... at the very least he should buy a properly ready made ring, like a pipe olive

smart51

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
The jewellery industry used to say a month's salary. Often now they say 2 or more. It is pure self interest on their behalf, and a bit of blackmail on you.

Traditionally, an engagement ring is a simple gold band with a single diamond. £30 from Argos to £300,000,000,000 at OligarksRUs.

Make it the same carat gold as the wedding ring, so they're the same colour. Lower carat gold is harder and so harder wearing. Higher carat gold is more expensive but more pure. Anything more than 18 carat is for magpies and gold diggers

Large diamonds are more "chavy" and are best avioided though tiny ones are a bit cheapskate.

White gold looks like silver and costs like gold. They can see you coming, you know.

Jeweller's mark ups are not in percentages, they are in multiples. 5x the trade cost is not uncommon. A friend of a friend "was retired" in his early 50s. He set up a Jewellery store on a local market with the commensurate low rent. Most of his days were spent piercing the ears of children but the rest of his time he worked like this: Customer goes to a high street jeweller and takes a photo of a £500 ring. Photo is shown to market jeweler who looks through the catalogues and finds the same ring. (high street shops don't make jewellery). He offers the ring for £350 and gets the sale. Pockets £250 for his trouble and the customer saves £150. Either go back to the shop without your intended and haggle hard or find a friendly low key jeweller who sells things "cheap".

roadrunner

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
it's not the cost of the ring thats the problem, or even the wedding day. It's the bloody devorce thats the real killer.
mr henderson

posted on 30/11/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
When I got engaged we went together and bought the cheapest ring that didn't look silly.

21 years on and we are still very happy.

Pay out big sums of money if that is what it will take to make you both happy, it's always like that buying stuff anyway you have to compare the cost of the purchase with how happy it will make (both of) you.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.