Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Focus C-Max - are they any good as a family car?
Mansfield

posted on 12/12/09 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Focus C-Max - are they any good as a family car?

We had a look around for a car to accomodate our impending new arrivals (twins) today and came across a low mileage 2005 C-Max 1.8 petrol.

These will be our first children so we really have no idea what to expect on many matters, but we need a newer car and wondered if this would fit the bill.

Anyone one on here got one and in a similar position to us? Is it a good practical choice?

I am expecting Ford reliability as is only really a Focus so that is not an issue for me, I hope.

Whatever we choose we need another car very soon as she cant get in an out of her Tigra and needs too much spending on it to be viable for me to drive long term. And I hate it anyway - it is too small.

It hasn't exactly been plain sailing getting this far (understatement), and lots of things (including kit car plans) have been put on hold, but we are over the moon with how things have turned out. We are 23 weeks now and getting rather large.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

David

jos

posted on 12/12/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
even though it looks like its got more headroom than a standard focus a cuple of guys i know have said theyd prefer a standrad focus of the c -max and that they regretted getting the cmax

That said they dont have anything bad to say about it and theyve run better than a lot of the other fleet motors with nothing of any note going wrong

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

speedyxjs

posted on 12/12/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
They are basically the same as the focus i think. Just supposed to be bigger inside.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

stevebubs

posted on 12/12/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
It'll be fine, but take a look at the standard Focus.

If you have pets (dogs), consider an estate focus/mondy

pdm

posted on 12/12/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

We've got one (I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old).

The doors are nice and square as well as tall which helps getting them in and out of their seats and the boot is a lot bigger than it looks.

That said because my eldest legs arent long enough to bend over her car seat and so stick out, we have to have the front seat quite a bit forward these days which doesn't leave too much room in the front.

Also our double pushchair takes up quite a bit of boot space so even though there's loads we are thinking we need a roof box for hols.

Ours is a diesel but its doing about 50 mpg for mixed driving and the only fault we've had so far is a blown headlight (that's cursed it for sure !!).

I'm very happy with it.

Good luck to you both with everything...

MikeR

posted on 12/12/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a focus and no children.

6'3" and i fit in that easily. Lots of space in the car and a decent sized boot ..... but if i had a pushchair the boot would disappear.

Have you thought about a focus estate? Lad in the office just traded his seat leon for a focus estate and he's got two kids under 3. So far he loves it for its practicality.

Mansfield

posted on 12/12/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Hi

We've got one (I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old).

The doors are nice and square as well as tall which helps getting them in and out of their seats and the boot is a lot bigger than it looks.

That said because my eldest legs arent long enough to bend over her car seat and so stick out, we have to have the front seat quite a bit forward these days which doesn't leave too much room in the front.

Also our double pushchair takes up quite a bit of boot space so even though there's loads we are thinking we need a roof box for hols.

Ours is a diesel but its doing about 50 mpg for mixed driving and the only fault we've had so far is a blown headlight (that's cursed it for sure !!).

I'm very happy with it.

Good luck to you both with everything...

I was a worried whether a double buggy would fit as I have no idea how big one is - so that is good.

At 6' tall would I be able to drive it with a 3 year old's legs a safe distance from my seat?

JoelP

posted on 12/12/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
we had a corsa when our little chap arrived, we managed to get the buggy in but it was tight, even with all the wheels off. Ie, even a very small boot can be ok (though maybe not for a double). It was also a three door which made it hard to get the carrier in and out. However, if we managed with that then a C-max will be a vast improvement. Id be looking more at economy, safety and reliability, since size wise even a small car can work.

On the other hand, we have a jeep now and although we can leave the wheels on the buggy, and it sits flat, it does still get squeezed when the boot is shut. So even a big boot doesnt feel that spacious once filled with baby paraphernalia.

We do really miss the economy of a 1 litre corsa.

[Edited on 12/12/09 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

pdm

posted on 12/12/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose it depends how small it folds down really but all the doubles we looked at were quite hefty compared to our previous single. We scooted our double outside and stowed it just to be double sure (pardon the pun) - costly mistake if you get it wrong.

I'm a comparative shorta**e at 5' 9'' and my 3 year old goes behind the passenger seat as we can make more space which probably tells its own story.

Maybe at 6' I'd be a little concerned about the time between their legs going a long way over the edge of their seat but before they can sit in a normal position. You'd probably want to check as your two will both reach the height at the same time so you won't have the luxury of swapping them over.

You're right the last thing you want is them able to touch the seat in front with their feet - not just for safety, it'll put something else in the "can I have some attention" arsenal, another reason why my 3 year old is behind the passenger.

If you're that worried about I'll go and measure the distance between the seats if you want ??

sminney

posted on 12/12/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
we have a 05 plate focus 5dr hatch 2 litre petrol. 2 kids, (2 & 4) The boot is fine for day to day life, as said above i bought a roof box for going on trips. Double buggies can collapse down quite well, so you will be able to put a supermarket shop in there with the buggie in place too. (just pile everything on top) mpg on mine isn't great as it spends 99% of its time in towns so i get between 31 & 33 and my missus drives pretty sensibly.

wouldn't spend too much on a new car as it will get trashed by your off spring and if not them, other mums using your car as a parking aid!

good luck with the sprogs!

[Edited on 12/12/09 by sminney]

matt.c

posted on 12/12/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought about a vauxhall meriva? I bought one when my little one came along. Nice and high seats plenty of room inside and a large boot. Alot cheaper to run and insure than a zafira too.

Mansfield

posted on 12/12/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
LOL @ the "can I have some attention" arsenal - I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for the offer of the measuring pdm, but I will probably test drive it tomorrow so I will check out the space when I get the seat where I need it. Think I will compare it to my Mondeo to see where we are.

I was going to get the best Mondeo I could for £2.5K (you are right - it will get trashed) but my good lady has fallen for a C-Max for some reason. Double the money but the extra height of the seats would mean less grief for my poor back.

Thanks for all your advice, think we will end up buying it.

Can't believe we are after a family magnet - always hoped my next car would have two seats, no windscreen and no roof. One day it will...

David

[Edited on 12/12/09 by Mansfield]

SteveWalker

posted on 12/12/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
It should be fine. We're managing with a Focus with three kids (6, 4 and 21 months). We're down to a single buggy now, but even when we had the double, there was enough space for shopping.

Watch out though as there is a choice of normal spare or space-saver. Normally I'd always choose a normal one, but this time we got the dealer (2nd hand) to swap for the space-saver from another Focus, as it allows the whole boot floor liner to sit considerably lower and that extra space can be critical with kids paraphenalia.

MK9R

posted on 13/12/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
C max are good (my parents have one), but boot isn't as big midsize estates, they had a megan estate before and the boot was a lot bigger. The extra height in the boot is useful, but the size of buggies, and especially a double, just eats up so much space. We have 3 boys and even found the mondeo estate a squeeze for anything more than day trips. i have ended up getting a 7 seater disco. I would say with 2 babies the c max will be a squeeze for anything more than day to day jobs, and would suggest getting a mondeo estate or the hatch as the boot is almost as big. I picked up my 1.8 petrol 16 month old mondeo for £8k and have to say its a great tool, although only does 32mpg, where as the diesel will do nearer 50

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 13/12/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thats a problem in most cars. Although that said my Passat estate thats didnt really affect the front seat much.

My mates mum and dad hasve a c max tdci. The love it and theyr quite critical and fussy about things. My other mates missus had one aswell until she drove it through the front of a house. She liked that alot and used to cart all the grand kids etc about in it. Niether have gone wrong at all.

Personally id go for an estate car like a golf or passat tdi.

I got a went from a Passat to a Passat estate and the child stuff just gets swallowed up by the boot without affecting the seating space. I used to lay me daughter in the boot aswell to change here. very handy. Iv since sold that and got a 5 series BMW which has a huge big boot but u cant get big stuff in it. I reckon im goona get another passat estate.

[Edited on 13/12/09 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

britishtrident

posted on 13/12/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
The Focus C-Max is well regarded in the trade, as far As I am aware only a few niggling electrical faults and some engine sensor issues have come to light but nothing else.

Personally I don't like the handling on any Focus but I seem in a minority in that respect.

Avoid the Meriva Vauxhall's from the model years your are looking at tend to develop valve gear problems due to lubrication issues and because of the body design Meriva has zero working space around the engine.

[Edited on 13/12/09 by britishtrident]

robinj66

posted on 13/12/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Having now got a 5 day old daughter I would definitely want to try and fit two car seats in before I bought anything - they take up far more room than you realise and not all rear seat belts are long enough to secure all car seats.

[Focus should be alright on the seat belt lenghths though]

iank

posted on 13/12/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mansfield

I was a worried whether a double buggy would fit as I have no idea how big one is - so that is good.

Consider getting two, a sturdy one with big wheels for outdoors (walks and town centre) and a smaller umbrella style one (or two - one each) for indoor shopping centres.
The outdoor one will be huge and unwieldy and a complete pain in the shops and will fill any boot except an estate. Ones with small wheels and thinner tube will be easier to push around but won't last 5mins on a muddy path/cobbles/curbs.

Go into mothercare and play with the display models to get a feel for folded size (and how easy it is to do with one hand!)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.