Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake fittings and De Dion axle
Yorkie

posted on 1/2/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Brake fittings and De Dion axle

I have a problem fitting RD Hydra mech calipers to the GTS De Dion axle.

The calipers were supplied with extended neck banjo fittings but these foul the De Dion tube.

The question is can I cut a slot in the De Dion axle to accomodate the fitting or are there any other fittings that are suitable? At its narrowest point the clearance is 5mm.

Yorkie

posted on 1/2/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote

Yorkie

posted on 1/2/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote

Position of slot marked.

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/2/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm trying to work out how your fitting the caliper have you not got the bearing carrier fitted, the disks are quite a way from the end of the De Dion tube. link to Pic

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/2/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't there be a caliper mounting bracket and spacer also

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

Yorkie

posted on 1/2/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote

Yes, the picture was taken off the car as a mock up to demonstrate the problem.
The calipers fit over the bearing housing with alloy caliper brackets provided in the kit.

big-vee-twin

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldnt there be a spacer between the bracket and caliper as the disk will run a few inches wider than as your pic shows

Yorkie

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote

I'm not sure, there was no spacer with the brake kit. I'll refit the hubs to the axle tomorrow to make sure.

Thanks.

blakep82

posted on 2/2/10 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
i'd get everything else all built up first, and calipers last. i wouldn't go notching the axle either.
i remember recent threads saying the GTS axle is perhaps not the er, best quality (yours might not be affected, and i don't have one. just saying what i read) so i wouldn't do that to it

get everything else built up, bearings hubs, discs, etc then see whats what when everything else is on. might not (and if sold as a kit, shouldn't) be a problem.
i'd be very surprised if any manufacturer sells a kit which just doesn't have a hope of working

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Yorkie

posted on 2/2/10 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote

I've fitted the hub, disc and caliper and it seems to fit fine, apart from the gap between the caliper and De Dion axle.

I think I need to find either a suitable replacement for the banjo fitting or cut a small slot in the tube to clear it.

Any ideas?

Pictures in the archive

HOL

posted on 2/2/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I take it that swapping the calipers to the opposite side of the car and inverting them, does not improve the clearance problem??

It might cause your handbrake cable to run at a funny angle, but that would be safer.

Yorkie

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote

Have tried inverting them and swapping sides. They are still too close to the large tube on the axle.
mistergrumpy

posted on 2/2/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'm trying to look at the photo but am struggling to see but is it possible that you could remove the springs and put them in the other way about so they stick away from the axle as oppose to sticking into it? Just a thought.
Yorkie

posted on 2/2/10 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks, the springs and handbrake mechanism are clear of obstruction and will work OK. The problem is the fluid connector entry which is underneath the caliper. At best there is 5mm clearance between the port and the large tube of the De Dion axle. The caliper is supplied with a banjo fitting which is 20mm deep.
hicost blade

posted on 2/2/10 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
VW callipers mount in the same way but the inlet is in a different place. I think the Hydro mechs are a bit lame, there is a conversion for a Westfield with the same problem. The two options offered were: 1 use VW/Audi Callipers or 2 re-drill a new inlet on the hydro mechs (not ideal).
Description
Description

Sorry, my answer is probably not what you want to hear

Yorkie

posted on 3/2/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Is that a hydra mech caliper thats been re-drilled, if so how easy is that to do?

If I cut a slot in the axle as per the picture below, will it weaken the axle that much?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.