Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Putting the battery in the back?
interestedparty

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Putting the battery in the back?

Been having a good look at my chassis, and it seems to me there is no reason I can see why I shouldnt make a battery tray in the back over the diff mounting area, and even form a boot box over it (so the battery is in the boot but supported by the chassis)

Seems like a good way of moving a bit of weight from the from to the back, I know it won't make much difference but is a step in the right direction?

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

iank

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
No reason not to, but don't go too small on the battery or cable as the starter pulls a lot of current down the now longer wires.

If you're planning one of the lightweight racing batteries it's not worth it IMO.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

NigeEss

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
It puts a heavy item high up and very far back. Be better in the middle and low, passenger
footwell for example. Unless you are using a bike battery.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

designer

posted on 26/7/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Try to keep the battery within the wheelbase, and low down.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 26/7/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't think it will make a great deal of difference, but would think twice about putting a battery next to the fuel tank.
Paul

andrew

posted on 26/7/10 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
got mine in back , much better for setup,
02GF74

posted on 26/7/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I would only do that if you do not have space in the engine bay or passenger footwell.

You will need to have thicker cables if you do not want problems starting the engine.

Apart from that, it is ok, apart from the extra cable length and cost.

Better of using a smaller gel battery instead of the bulky Pb-acid.

MakeEverything

posted on 26/7/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
You want a larger cross sectional area cable to take the maximum starting current to avoid a fire, let alone starting problems.

Get tri-rated cable from your local electrical wholesalers. You need to work out how big, but the current you need it to carry.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

interestedparty

posted on 26/7/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
some interesting thoughts thanks, about the height, most people put it on the shelf in front of the scuttle, thing is, that is higher than putting it above the diff on independant cars.

I knew about the extra rating needed on the cable but its always worth mentioning these things in case I didnt, thanks

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The KLMX-5 ('97 MX5 w/Mazda KL 2.5L V6)

posted on 26/7/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's an MX5, so it's already in the boot. Best place for it, IMO, it's nice and tidy in there and dead confusing for Mr. AA Man

FWIW, the batteries used in NA and NB MX5s (mk1 and mk2) are smaller than standard batteries and a little lighter in weight. Maybe worth a look? (WestCo are the common battery "upgrade", and would probably be a good place to start.)

As for weight reduction, I'm not sure you'll be gaining much - the extra length of the extra gauge cables will see to that. However, if your car is currently front-heavy, this may well be a good step to take. Just make sure to fit it as far forward as you can.

Chris

[Edited on 26/7/2010 by iti_uk]

StevieB

posted on 26/7/10 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
It really depends what engine you're installing and how the weight will be distributed anyway - my Indy was 60% to the rear with an R1 engine in, so if I was going to move the battery anywhere, it would have been further forward and lower down (just behind the steering rack probably).
coozer

posted on 26/7/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mines in the passenger footwell on the floor, short cable to the starter and was thinking of putting a heater above the diff!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bi22le

posted on 26/7/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
the previous owner of my car put it at the back. I think it does look neater and cuts down the wires in the engine bay. The weight offset I think is probably very small.

Its really up to you. If you think its worth your time and money then do it. Nobody will tell you its wrong.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.