Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC or CEC
Wee T

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
BEC or CEC

I have a Westfield chassis.I've been offered a ZX9R engine complete with loom etc for £300.I originally palnned to use a 1300cc Toyota Starlet turbo engine with approx 180 bhp.Uprights,brakes etc will be MX5.I'm looking for the opinions of guys with experience of BEC and CEC to help make my mind up.I've just had a run in a Hyabusa powered westfield and I was well impressed.The car will be mostly for road use with the occasional track day.
tomgregory2000

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
CEC
richard thomas

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'll get the popcorn.....but to contribute to the debate - BEC all the way

[Edited on 12/8/10 by richard thomas]

scootz

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
As you've said 'mostly for road', then it has to be a car-engine for me!

It's Evolution Baby!

jase380

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
bec for me too
flak monkey

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
For mostly road, CEC.

For mostly track, CEC

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Werner Van Loock

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
compared to that kinda engine, CEC

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wee T

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Engine

I don't want this to turn into a BEC v CEC slanging match.I'd like your preference and the reasons why thats your preference.I can also get a GSXR 750 injection set up for the same money as the ZX9R carb set up.
Wee T

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Engine

That kind of engine ? enlighten me please.
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock
compared to that kinda engine, CEC

[Edited on 12/8/10 by Wee T]

hicost

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
CEC

I like my CEC so thats what I would say if asked!

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richard thomas

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think in all honesty a CEC would be a simpler build/conversion....what is the chassis that you have configured for?
Wee T

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis

The chassis is left blank for engine and diff fitments
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
I think in all honesty a CEC would be a simpler build/conversion....what is the chassis that you have configured for?

scootz

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
My thoughts...

I've had both.

A BEC is great fun when you're in banzai-mode and want to attack every stretch of tarmac as if you're on an F1 qually lap! It's a complete pain in the backside if you just fancy a leisurely drive, or have to nip into town as it's noisy and you're always busy on the gears.

A CEC offers a little more choice. Just decide on the engine... rotary screamer, torquey V6, or somewhere in the middle like a Duratec. The world is your lobster!

If you're concerned about weight, then a Duratec and Type-9 box combo need only weigh around 60kg more than a featherweight BEC. A locost set of throttle bodies and a half-decent exhaust and you're looking at 200bhp and a shed-load more torque than even a forced-induction bike to move that extra bulk around!

Sure, there's not the same drama in a CEC as in a BEC, but quite often that's not a bad thing!!!

It's Evolution Baby!

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm building using a 2.0 Duratec with GSXR ITB's

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

stevec

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have had both in my car and for road use I prefer the car engine.

Steve

Wee T

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Engine choice

Sounds like a CEC is the way for me i'm getting on a bit so maybe the BEC driving characteristics wouldn't suit me.I have an Omega 3.2 v6 but i'm thinking it's weight would spoil the handling on a lightweight sportscar.
clairetoo

posted on 12/8/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
A V6 need not be heavy - I use the Mazda KL in my Fury , and it's lighter than a lot of fours (110 kg's bare)
And with 200 bhp as well as plenty of revs it sure is a hoot , as well as very civilized round town

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Wee T

posted on 12/8/10 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think I saw your Fury ar Stoneleigh.Is the KL lump alloy or cast ? What gearbox did you use ?
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
A V6 need not be heavy - I use the Mazda KL in my Fury , and it's lighter than a lot of fours (110 kg's bare)
And with 200 bhp as well as plenty of revs it sure is a hoot , as well as very civilized round town

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 12/8/10 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
It's quite amusing this BEC vs CEC.

Performance wise, BEC wins.

However, once you draw a line under that, it reall is personal preference.

The whole torque thing, apart from being wrong (Gearbox people), is interesting.

Having grown up with Hondas, they offer relatively small capacity engines with high power.

Current car that i'm dismantling is the S2000.

Torque wise, it has 155lbs/ft and weighs in at 1200kg

I never had an issue with pottering around town in it and it has a lower torque/weight ratio than most BECs.

Back to that engine, the F20C, I was going to put it into a CEC.

The F20C represents the pinnacle of car production fours with 250ps (JDM) as standard, roller valve train and forged internals.

It is simply too heavy compared to a BEC and the power wouldn't offset the weight.

Still, like I said, personal preference.

Rod Ends

posted on 13/8/10 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
What would Colin choose?

I think we know the answer

[Edited on 13/8/10 by Rod Ends]

LBMEFM

posted on 13/8/10 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
My BEC is mad and great fun, but if I was honest I would probally use the car more on social occassions if it was a CEC. BEC = Crazy track day/very fast maniac road use CEC= Quick fun everyday civilised road use. Depends whether you are tourer or a aspiring racing driver.

Now where's the popcorn

[Edited on 13/8/10 by LBMEFM]

GeorgeM

posted on 13/8/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
simple answer to this..

Do you want a 4 wheeled sports bike (no screen, no heater, no roof, wear a helmet, other half might get in it once then not interested ) ? - BEC

Do you want a car (with windscreen, doors, roof, heater, radio, other half will get in it & might even drive it ) ? CEC

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

carpmart

posted on 13/8/10 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
My thoughts...

I've had both.

A BEC is great fun when you're in banzai-mode and want to attack every stretch of tarmac as if you're on an F1 qually lap! It's a complete pain in the backside if you just fancy a leisurely drive, or have to nip into town as it's noisy and you're always busy on the gears.

A CEC offers a little more choice. Just decide on the engine... rotary screamer, torquey V6, or somewhere in the middle like a Duratec. The world is your lobster!

If you're concerned about weight, then a Duratec and Type-9 box combo need only weigh around 60kg more than a featherweight BEC. A locost set of throttle bodies and a half-decent exhaust and you're looking at 200bhp and a shed-load more torque than even a forced-induction bike to move that extra bulk around!

Sure, there's not the same drama in a CEC as in a BEC, but quite often that's not a bad thing!!!

A very eloquent response so a 'ditto' from me!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

franky

posted on 13/8/10 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add on the road a 200bhp cec would be quicker a to b. You can't use the few extra mph corner speed on most roads. 1/4 mile times show that's the sort of poke you need. Add to that the lower cost too
Hellfire

posted on 13/8/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
BEC all the way..... Sequential, clutchless, paddleshift gears make it easy to use on a leisurely drive out and you can make a BEC scream (or not) by adjusting the pressure you apply to the throttle with your right foot.

Get it on a track and you'll realise you've made the right decision. Trackdays are quite addictive though....

There are quite a lot of people who have converted from CEC to BEC and most would never go back. Conversely, there is also a few people who've gone from BEC to CEC. I suspect some will be back when they've come to their senses..............

Phil

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.