Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 rebuild
Scotty

posted on 19/9/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 rebuild

hi
am now embarking on rebuilding the rover v8
problem is that i am not sure whether the bearings are standard or have been changed previously (ie oversized)
the only marking i can find are:-
Crank Main Bearing: 5053 610860
Big end bearings: 505 610870
Con rod: AS 602393
Piston: 413 G14500 719A

can anyone help with this, have tried googling but to no avail

cheers in advance

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

jollygreengiant

posted on 19/9/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
By the looks of it they are all std. If over sized housings or reground crank then they will also has +010 or similar numbers on them. It would be as well to get the crank micrometered and checked for ovaling and wear. If all well then the engineers would be able to tell you exactly which size bearings you would need.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

wilkingj

posted on 19/9/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Forget the bearings. Get the crank checked for the size and ovailty. Then buy in the correct bearings.

The cranks wear pretty well, its the cylinders that go oval more quickly.
Camshafts are usually scrap by about 80k miles.

I dont know why people call bearing +10 thou or what ever size, as they are actually Smaller, due to the crank being ground down (Its not made larger by grinding). Its only the Cylinders that get bigger wth a rebore

Cheers

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
t16turbotone

posted on 19/9/10 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote

I dont know why people call bearing +10 thou or what ever size, as they are actually Smaller, due to the crank being ground down (Its not made larger by grinding). Its only the Cylinders that get bigger wth a rebore

Well if you grind 10 thou of the crank, then the bearing materail has to be +10 thicker...pretty simple stuff ..same with the pistons

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.