Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coilpacks and spark plugs
r1_pete

posted on 10/10/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Coilpacks and spark plugs

Doing a bit of fine tuning on the jaguar, now I have the edis6. coilpack and map mjlj, set up with the SU carbs.

I noticed that with the timing light on a lead one half of each coil, the flash was consistent, on the corresponding 'opposite' coil (the one energised at the same time) the flash was inconsistent, this was the same for each of th three pairs of coils.

This got me thinking, should I have changed the plugs from the BP5ES' I was running with the electronic distributor setup, I seem to remember reading resistive plugs should be used with a coilpack setup?

Looking for some help from those who understand these things as to if I should change, and what the resistive equivallent is to a BP5ES.

Cheers.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 10/10/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if it is a Spark polarity issue upsetting the timing light.

The non-ressistor plugs should not be an issue.
Ressistor equivalent plug is wait for IT --- BPR5ES

[Edited on 10/10/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

r1_pete

posted on 10/10/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
You could have a point, current will effectively be flowing in opposite directions in each pair of plugs.

I'll try reversing the timing light sensor, see if that makes any difference.

Then try a set of BPR5es'

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The KLMX-5 ('97 MX5 w/Mazda KL 2.5L V6)

posted on 11/10/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
You could have a point, current will effectively be flowing in opposite directions in each pair of plugs.

I'll try reversing the timing light sensor, see if that makes any difference.

Then try a set of BPR5es'

Would this really be the case? This would mean that the plugs would have to be wired in series, which is not possible given that the heads provide the common ground.

Are you sure you have the plugs gapped correctly and that the HT leads are all in good condition?

Chris

r1_pete

posted on 11/10/10 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, each end of each HT coil connects to a plug lead, hence when that coil fires both plugs do, hence the term wasted spark, and one plug is on the +ve side of the coil, the other being -ve.

boggle

posted on 11/10/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
is this not the same principal as the rover v8?

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The KLMX-5 ('97 MX5 w/Mazda KL 2.5L V6)

posted on 11/10/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Yes, each end of each HT coil connects to a plug lead, hence when that coil fires both plugs do, hence the term wasted spark, and one plug is on the +ve side of the coil, the other being -ve.

Ahh, so the circuit goes;

GND -> -ve -> +ve -> GND

Where the GND to -ve is across the first plug, and the +ve to GND is across the second plug, the -ve and +ve voltages being equal and opposite, the potential difference being created by the firing coils.

Is that right?

Chris

[Edited on 11/10/2010 by iti_uk]

r1_pete

posted on 11/10/10 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thats basically it, this is the interal wiring on the coils, the bottom coils are the LT the top the HT, A A B B C C are the plugs.

Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.