Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: errrr, but why?
02GF74

posted on 22/10/10 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
errrr, but why?

Tried to change some £ 20 notes into £ 50 notes.

Cheltenham and Gloucester refused unless I have an account.

Santander changed them but first I had to pay them into my account then immediately withdraw the same amount.

5 minutes to do a 20 second job.

WTF is that all about?

scudderfish

posted on 22/10/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I normally get told to wee off if I offer a £20 note for a £50.
mcerd1

posted on 22/10/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
money laundering??

[Edited on 22/10/2010 by mcerd1]

-

jossey

posted on 22/10/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
as above money laundering legislation.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 22/10/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
wotcha talking about? It was building society not a launderette. The £ 20s didn't need cleaning as they were brand new cripsy notes straight out of the service till.

Is it some sort of government big bother monitoring type thing if I say kept on changing 1,000s every week? (not like that is ever gonna happen).

jossey

posted on 22/10/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
ohh pleasseeeeeee.

say i had 300,000 in stolen notes which had been untracable but i wanted to ensure they are clean.

then i would go into local banks and swap 300-400 per time and get clean money.

the best route to do this is goto europe and exchange thousands and thousands in foriegn exchange banks and get euro's then trade euro's into your european business account where you get the best rate of transfer and pay your self in pounds at low rates.

i thinks :O)

david

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 22/10/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem a few weeks back. I had a violin case full of brand new £50s. I wanted to swap them for used ones and preferable ones with different serial numbers. I tried all the highstreet banks and ended up getting Big Jeff from the carboot sale to buy them off me for £100.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

02GF74

posted on 22/10/10 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
ohh pleasseeeeeee.

say i had 300,000 in stolen notes which had been untracable but i wanted to ensure they are clean.

then i would go into local banks and swap 300-400 per time and get clean money.

still don't get it.

when the bank accept cash, they do not scan or make note of the note numbers in order tp tie them to your account, well, I didn't see them do that.

blakep82

posted on 22/10/10 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
the point of money laundering is to get rid of the original cash, and swap it all over, so the serial numbers (if known from when they were stolen) can't be traced back. basically to break the link between stolen money and you. its usually done by buying property, antiques etc, then selling on for less than you paid. if its stolen cash, its still 100% profit.

anyway, yes, they don't scan the numbers, but if they realise you're in every week changing money over (even £100 at a time) then they will have a 'paper trail' (as RBS call it) and making it go through your account means they can track how often you do it. its easier than writing down serial numbers for everything.

there's a lot more to it than that, but its been a few years since i had to think about it, but basically its a way of keeping track of how often you change notes over, as it may look like money laundering if you're doing it every week

[Edited on 22/10/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 22/10/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from money laundering, people are scared of £50 notes, as they're the favourite target for faking and it's a big loss if you end up stuck with one.

Maybe we need notes that are harder to fake, such as the Aussie plastic ones. I was handing over A$100 notes (~£65) while on holiday and no-one batted an eye, as they still trust them to be genuine.

iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The KLMX-5 ('97 MX5 w/Mazda KL 2.5L V6)

posted on 22/10/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I can understand the money laundering concerns, but I find this country's over-cautious view of £50 notes to be very amusing. Go to the continent or Ireland, walk into a shop and buy a drink using a 100 Euro note and not a single eyelid will bat. Even when using a 500 Euro note as I have done once or twice. Whereas, here in the UK, most shops will not even consider £50 notes for payment.

Chris

02GF74

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ ok, gotcha ... so there is some monitoring then.

morcus

posted on 23/10/10 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
There are a huge number of Fake 50's out there. Someone sends out reports about it alot (We get them at work but I don't know who sends them). People vary rarely get them anyway as they don't tend to be in ATM's and banks don't like to use them either which confounds the problem and makes notes being used in shops more likely to be faked (Especially when your giving out £45+ in change).

I thought the best way to launder money was buy loan sharking as you got more clean money than you had dirty to begin with.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

woodster

posted on 23/10/10 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Apart from money laundering, people are scared of £50 notes, as they're the favourite target for faking and it's a big loss if you end up stuck with one.

Maybe we need notes that are harder to fake, such as the Aussie plastic ones. I was handing over A$100 notes (~£65) while on holiday and no-one batted an eye, as they still trust them to be genuine.

I always wondered why we don't use plastic notes, them Aussie notes are bloody strong and a lot better than paper.

02GF74

posted on 23/10/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
barcode or RFID tag on each note?

that is scanned each time transaction is made so real time check can be made on fakeness?

iank

posted on 23/10/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bar codes and RFID's are fairly easy to manufacture/clone/copy especially if you are a big time criminal with a budget to spend on getting it right.

I suspect we still use paper partly because people would complain (a significant number of people hate/resist any change) and partly because the paper used for notes is made specially for the mint and is apparently hard to copy and impossible to buy.

There is apparently a huge problem with Euro's and pound coins at the moment.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ninehigh

posted on 23/10/10 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
English notes are made with nettles...

When I was in Germany (over 10 years ago) I noticed at a petrol station a sign that they don't take notes over 3000DM (might have been 300) which is way bigger than a £50.

There must be a lot of scottish fakes too as few people south of the border will take them

morcus

posted on 24/10/10 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
I thought that was just people got confused about them as they don't recognise them. Try using NI notes, most people seem to assume they're old ROI money and run a mile. Changing what money is made of is always held back by silly arguments, there have been talks of replacing the £5 note with a coin which would save a huge amount of money because fivers don't last long and coins last forever (Look in your wallet, some of your pennies could be almost 40) but it gets held back by people who want to keep notes for the sake of keeping notes. Look at America and the Dollar bill they had an article on the BBC not long ago about how much money thats wasted because the population won't use the coin.

scootz

posted on 24/10/10 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
There must be a lot of scottish fakes too as few people south of the border will take them

Not so much to do with fakes... more to do with ignorance!

It's Evolution Baby!

iank

posted on 24/10/10 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Yep, shops are happy to take them down at least as far as Newcastle - though with the new ones they will often do a double take.

Once tried to use a Scottish £20 in a pub in Cambridge, needed to use the internet on my phone to convince him they were legal tender in England

[Edited on 24/10/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ninehigh

posted on 24/10/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Once tried to use a Scottish £20 in a pub in Cambridge, needed to use the internet on my phone to convince him they were legal tender in England

[Edited on 24/10/10 by iank]

Hehe last time I used one I had the goods in my hand when he started arguing. I told him he can either take it or give it me back but I'm leaving with this stuff.

He took it

iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The KLMX-5 ('97 MX5 w/Mazda KL 2.5L V6)

posted on 25/10/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Going back to the title of the thread - I also know a "Herbert Wye"....

Sorry

blakep82

posted on 25/10/10 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

partly yeah, but when i worked in boots in london, i worked in the cash office sorting notes for banking, every fake £20 note was a scottish note. never saw a single fake english note

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

morcus

posted on 26/10/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen loads of Fake English notes but never any from Scotland or Northern Ireland. I've seen people try and pass the most obvious of fakes and I've seen some pretty good ones aswell.

The main reason people don't except them is because they are unsure as to whether they're legal currency in England (Which is different to Legal tender). Scotish and Northern Irish Banknotes are legal currency but are not Legal tender in England and Wales and I believe the opposite is true but it has no bearing on use as currency.

Ninehigh

posted on 26/10/10 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I thought legal tender meant currency..

I guess now the difference is that, say a 10 Euro note is real (legal tender) but isn't really accepted in the UK (not legal currency)

Or would it be the other way round?

Also, as I figured the problem with scottish notes is not knowing the fakes, how would you know if said scottish note was fake or not?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.