Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Printing a ball bearing
Tris

posted on 31/3/11 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Printing a ball bearing

Got sent this vid today and thought i would share - totally amazing what that printer can do (if only it could print in metal !)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOEbZ98J1Ks

Cheers
Tris

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/3/11 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
just a thought, with a smaller nozzel it would be a super thing for making wedding cake icing...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
koiking125

posted on 31/3/11 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
(if only it could print in metal !)

They can, formular 1 have had it for a while, search for (sintered metal parts) we get a leaflet come through at work.

MK Owners Club Member (Frosty) No.1159

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/3/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
so kicks ass this...

you tube linky

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The KLMX-5 ('97 MX5 w/Mazda KL 2.5L V6)

posted on 31/3/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Almost as good as this.

[Edited on 31/3/2011 by iti_uk]

mcerd1

posted on 31/3/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I always like the (relative) simplicity of the paper based ones like this: linky - cheap and chearful

[Edited on 31/3/2011 by mcerd1]

-

Confused but excited.

posted on 31/3/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
What a phenominal amount of waste paper. Rather the opposite of the metal deposition equipment.
It would appear that the replicator has turned up 400 years early.
Ya boo sucks to Chief O'Brian then.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/3/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.

Yeah I first came across rapid prototyping at Dundee University about 7 years ago, they had a wax and plastic printing machine and I used it to make very complex plastic cutting blades for a display model of an oil tool I was tasked to make. It saved so much time on my part and the parts where strong enough to make the model fully functional, I think it’s one of the main reasons we won the funding too. Tbh I was at a total loss before hand on how to even make the parts Even then they were making amazing honeycomb parts and it’s the ability to make hollow structures that really makes this process stand out. I can see in the future whole plane wings & fuselages being made this way with no seams or joins, even the fuel tanks and pipes built into the structure, amazing.

blakep82

posted on 31/3/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.

Yeah I first came across rapid prototyping at Dundee University about 7 years ago, they had a wax and plastic printing machine and I used it to make very complex plastic cutting blades for a display model of an oil tool I was tasked to make. It saved so much time on my part and the parts where strong enough to make the model fully functional, I think it’s one of the main reasons we won the funding too. Tbh I was at a total loss before hand on how to even make the parts Even then they were making amazing honeycomb parts and it’s the ability to make hollow structures that really makes this process stand out. I can see in the future whole plane wings & fuselages being made this way with no seams or joins, even the fuel tanks and pipes built into the structure, amazing.

that and long haul space flights
was on the news earlier, virgin galactic reckon they'll start 5 minute space fligths in the next year or two, cost about $125k i think they said. but if it works, more people will do it, prices come down blah blah blah, but then the mention of getting into orbit, and flying to Oz in a few hours won't need any fuel while in orbit either i'd guess. its like all of a sudden the future's almost here lol not quite the 2015 they predicted in tomorrows world, or back to the future 2, but not bad!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.