Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump clearance?
Nickp

posted on 6/10/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sump clearance?

I've been getting friendly with my angry grinder this week to get a BMW M52 6-pot into my Haynes chassis. The engine / box is now sat snuggly in the hole but I just need to get it in the 'best' position now. What would be considered the maximum amount for the sump to poke below the chassis? BTW - What would be the norm for chassis - ground clearance? 100mm or more?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

matt_gsxr

posted on 6/10/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
UK speed bumps and cushions can't be taller than 100mm.

Some people go lower, but search on damaged sump if you think that is a good idea.

rodgling

posted on 6/10/11 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running about 100 mm with an m3 (formerly a 328) and that seems reasonable to me - it will get over speed bumps if I'm careful.

[Edited on 6/10/11 by rodgling]

Nickp

posted on 6/10/11 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

So, 100mm sump to ground clearance absolute minimum then?

Any idea on chassis to ground clearance for a Haynes Roadster so I can work out roughly how much I can poke it below the rails. I do hope to have some sort of sump guard, like a rail that sits a smidge below the sump to take any hits rather than the ally sump.

tilly819

posted on 6/10/11 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
ide say so, i went out at the weekend with the new s2K engine in with about 75mm clearance, bottomed out the suspension in a big dip in the road and put a hole in the sump

clearance depends on ride hight settings on the shocks and what size tyres you are using best bet is to take the springs out and let the suspension fully compress onto the bump stops and see how much clearance you have or if the sump is on the floor how much suspension travel you have left before your on the bump stops

and yes fit a sump guard

tilly

[Edited on 6/10/11 by tilly819]

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

owelly

posted on 6/10/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
My Alfa engines had 50mm clearance which was ok if driven carefully. What wasn't so good was the bellhousing which was level with the bottom of the sump but because it was behind the front axle-line, touched-down very easily!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 6/10/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tilly819
clearance depends on ride hight settings on the shocks and what size tyres you are using best bet is to take the springs out and let the suspension fully compress onto the bump stops and see how much clearance you have or if the sump is on the floor how much suspension travel you have left before your on the bump stops

and yes fit a sump guard

tilly

[Edited on 6/10/11 by tilly819]

Problem is, I only have a bare chassis with the engine/box sat in it. No suspension, wheels etc etc so I've no idea what the chassis to ground clearance is going to be. If the chassis clearance will be about 150mm, then I'll know I can get away with the sump dangling 50mm below the chassis.

Nickp

posted on 6/10/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
My Alfa engines had 50mm clearance

Was that before or after pies mate?

Bluemoon

posted on 6/10/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
On my MK about 140mm clearance, I want a little more! Ideally level with bell housing and at most 25mm under chassis seems about correct..

Dan

bi22le

posted on 6/10/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
One thing i have noticed since owning the striker is that the sump is low but right between the front wheels. i am yet to scrape it!!

Just a thought

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Nickp

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
On my MK about 140mm clearance, I want a little more! Ideally level with bell housing and at most 25mm under chassis seems about correct..

Dan

Just to confirm fella, is the 140mm sump or chassis clearance (or both?)

Nickp

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
One thing i have noticed since owning the striker is that the sump is low but right between the front wheels. i am yet to scrape it!!

Just a thought

My sump's gonna be about 3ft behind the front wheels, it's a long old lump the M52 and the sump bowl's at the back

RAYLEE29

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, according to the book you would be looking at setting the sump height 25mm below the frame rails.
From memory ride height is 100mm clearance frame rails to floor on a standard chassis.
I remember seeing pics on the haynes site ages ago of Chris's brother in laws car which had a six pot bmw lump.
you could always ask on there (I dont go there any more as i have/had a personal dislike of a few peoples attitudes but there is some good guys on there).
Ray

build diary1
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/RoadsterPics#
build diary2
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/KITCARPICS?authkey=Gv1sRgCI2AouyYgpuQmAE#

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.