Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 stalles when engaging 1st?
-matt

posted on 9/10/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
R1 stalles when engaging 1st?

Ive just been trying to have a 1st drive in my R1 indy, but it keeps stalling whenever i engage 1st?

how ive been trying:

start engine up in neutral, foot on clutch, pull stick back for 1st, and it stalles.

and because i havent got a clutch stop yet, when it stalles my foot tends to jolt forwards and pull the nnipple off, which is rather annoying.

so am i doing this right?

do i need to add some revs when engaging gear?

or is something probably wrong?

cheers for any help on this.

flibble

posted on 9/10/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Has it been sat ages? Could the clutch plates have stuck together (they used to do it on bikes if I didn'r ride them for a long time).
Tried starting with the wheels off the floor?

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/10/11 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
maybe a combination of poor clutch adjustment and sticky clutch can combine to put extra load on the engine.

A few revs shouldn't be necessary, but wouldn't do any harm

norm007

posted on 9/10/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
The R1 has a cut out switch on its side stand.

If you are using the R1 wiring loom
you will need to locate the switch plug and then bypass it

[Edited on 9/10/2011 by norm007]

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

richardR1

posted on 9/10/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you are in neutral it should be a push forward for first and then pull back for 2nd to 6th.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

ali f27

posted on 9/10/11 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate it,s your kick stand switch could still be part of your loom we used ours as a security switch Cheers Ali
-matt

posted on 9/10/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
i didn't realise it was up for 1st then down the rest, but just tryed it and its still doing the same.

im sure i shorted the side stand switch, i will try and find it, and double check.

if its a sticking clutch plate, how would i unstick it?

cheers

-matt

posted on 9/10/11 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
oh, and if its in 1st, and i push the clutch in, should the car roll forewards?

as ive been trying this, but its making no differece wheather i have the clutch in or not?

this is making me think there is something wrong with the clutch? ie its not releasing?

jimhammer

posted on 9/10/11 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't have to be forward for first gear, it all depends how the linkage is configured. What tickover revs are you getting? Could be too low. Does sound like a clutch adjustment issue though, is there much resistance in the clutch pedal? Can you see how much the linkage is moving at the clutch end?
owelly

posted on 9/10/11 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
You need to check that the clutch is disengaging. And that you have the correct oil in the engine. With the car in any gear, the car should roll with the clutch pressed.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
-matt

posted on 9/10/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
yes im almost certain the clutch is stuck.

ive just tryed having the car on a downhill slope, in gear, and a cable tie holding the clutch lever all the way out. and i could not get it to budge.

im going to try running it up to temp., and see if that will help.

oh and as for oil, i had a plumbing mistake a few months ago which resulted in a few litres of coolant getting into the oil, but ive flushed it since with new bike oil, but im sure this didn't help.

mad-butcher

posted on 9/10/11 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
deffo sounds as if clutch plates have stuck together, one point no-one has raised is it imperative to fit a stop on the pedal apart from the fact as you say the nipple keeps coming off, the stop will stop the clutch spring from inverting itself. not a hard job to do just involves taking cover off and stripping the clutch down a bit, a pain in the arse and one that is better avoided..I would jack the arse end up and put on axle stands give it a few revs and put it into gear and hope the shock frees the clutch.
as said gearshift doesn't necessarily have to push forward for 1st, but is the logical was as when you accelerate you are pulled back into the seat so pulling back for 2/3/4/5/6 is easier same as when braking you are pushed forward so again pushing the shift forward 6/5/4/3/2/n/1 is easier, all depends on how your linkage is setup

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
-matt

posted on 10/10/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Well ive just taken it apart and removed the plates, they were a bit stiff, but nothing major, but the 6 springs were a little rusty.

so do i just give them a good soak in oil now, reasemble, and hope it all works?

or do i need to disemble further?

I do have to say, i don't have a clue how it all works.

ko_racer

posted on 10/10/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I take it you are moving the clutch arm far enough. There is about 20-30 degrees of rotation that is just slack then you need the arm to move another 20-30 degrees to release the clutch. Just be carefull you don't over rotate the lever or it'll get stuck out and you'll have to take the clutch cover off again to re-allign the clutch pack.

Have you also tried starting it in first gear with the clutch down?

[Edited on 10/10/11 by ko_racer]

jossey

posted on 10/10/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
dry clutch me thinks.

I think you need to strip n soak in oil....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

-matt

posted on 10/10/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
yes it was quite dry. especially the ones at the end.

they are now soaking in oil (while i have lunch), and will reasemble after.

hopefully that will sort it.

jossey

posted on 10/10/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
good luck pal.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

-matt

posted on 10/10/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
arrhhh, all seemed to go back together really well, clutch case went on 1st time.

then i realise, the clutch arm is facing the other way than it was before, now ive got to pull it towards the front of the car, rather than the the rear.

but there is a lot more feel to it (harder to pull) than before.

but just tried pushing it in gear whilst pulling the arm, but the clutch is still not disengaging!

think i may have put the arm on the wrong way? can anyone with a r1 tell me what way it should be facing/need pulling?

mad-butcher

posted on 10/10/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
should be a dot mark on the shaft, certain it's only visible from below.

tony

-matt

posted on 10/10/11 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
success (almost) at last.

Ive got it on, and working.

But jeez, you have to press that lever hard!, all my weight onto the lever (leaving a big indentation in my hand), and it releases.

are they usually this stiff? or has someone put some extra strong springs in?

oh and i havent used the gasket, as it was pissing me off, so im going to have to take it back off, to put that on now.

but at least i know it works.

although i think im going to need to solder on the nipples, as there is no way the screw ones will hold on!

mad-butcher

posted on 10/10/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
don't forget you're pushing on a relatively short lever, by the time it's on the pedal the leverage ratio will make it a lot easier, without harping on don't forget a pedal stop, if it goes over the top you will have to strip it all down to reset the big diaphram spring. mines been ok on screw on nipples.

tony

ReMan

posted on 10/10/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
You really ought to have a pedal stop.

Apart from that, yes the lever is too stiff for me to move by hand and I'm a big strong lad

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

-matt

posted on 11/10/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
oh, that seems like it is now how it should then.

i just need to re-route my cable, and ive figured out a good way to make a clutch stop.

thanks for all the help.

adithorp

posted on 11/10/11 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
What year R1 is it? The discription of "6 springs" suggests a later one, so the talk of moving too far and inverting the diaphragm spring and having to reset it, is for the wrong/earlier clutch. When you reassembled it, did you remember to put the last plate 1/2 out of phase? (easy mistake). You can get around the lever alignment difficulty by removing the little circlip and removing the lever from the shaft, then refit it after; Rather than faff about trying to get the shaft to engage on the correct tooth while fitting the cover.
How heavy it feels is really down the pedal ratios and heavy isnt good and could result in a binary clutch. ie, Either on or off with difficult to control bite point.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

-matt

posted on 11/10/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
yes its a 2008 R1. so i don't need to be too careful about going to far then? (although i take it, its a good idea to have a stop anyway?)

i put all the plates back in exactly how they came out (they were already marked).

i think its probably just a bit stiffer than i was expecting. and will see what its like when ive got the pedal/cable all sorted.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.