Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using 13" wheels with MX5 running gear
SteveMX5

posted on 23/10/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Using 13" wheels with MX5 running gear

As above really, has anyone tried to fit 13 inch wheels over MX5 uprights and standard calipers? I fancy a nice set of wide 4 spoke Revolutions
rdodger

posted on 23/10/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you use the mk1 1.6 brakes they will fit. No chance with 1.8.
RK

posted on 23/10/12 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I did. I ended up putting 15". The normal 1.6 brakes fit (barely), and the ride was better with the 13's, but it hit the ground and my engine seized.
chillis

posted on 24/10/12 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
If you run 13" wheels on an MX5 you need to raise the ride height unless you keep to 70 or 80 profile tyres.
Some 13" won't clear the brakes. Also on an MX5 it could fall foul of the 'inappropriate modification' now part of the MOT (though that would largely be down to the discretion of the tester)
In addition the range of 13" tyres is getting quite restricted now and expect that situation to get worse at the end of next month.
IME MX5's prefer larger diameter low profile tyres something such as 205/40or45x17 (similar to the current model) work very well though the standard brake look puny behind 17's

[Edited on 24/10/12 by chillis]

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

DH2

posted on 24/10/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I believe in this context we are talking about using 13s on MX5 running gear on some sort of Locost, rather than a '5.

I am planning on doing the same, so thanks for asking the question, I will make sure I get the early calipers.

DH2

SteveMX5

posted on 24/10/12 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
So it's a well ya can but.... type of situation! I hadn't thought about the ride height issue so that's a good point.

If tyre supply is becoming thin what do we suppose the likes of the 750mc be using?

rdodger

posted on 24/10/12 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ride height should be ok if you use the correct profile tyre. I'm using 205/60/13. They are the same rolling radius as a 195/50 15.
chillis

posted on 24/10/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveMX5
So it's a well ya can but.... type of situation! I hadn't thought about the ride height issue so that's a good point.

If tyre supply is becoming thin what do we suppose the likes of the 750mc be using?

I was refering to the availability of 13" tyres for road use as they will need to be rated for wet grip, noise and rolling resistance - tyre manufacturers are limiting what 13" tyres they are submitting for testing and approval to those sizes still fitted on production or to cover cars manufactured within the last 10 years so sizes like 185/70 and 206/60 are likely to disappear before the end of the year as tyre vendors will not be allowed to sell unrated tyres.
tyres may still be available in these sizes but the must be marked not for road use and in such a way as to be both obvious and not easily buffed off.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

indykid

posted on 24/10/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
IME MX5's prefer larger diameter low profile tyres something such as 205/40or45x17

If you like a crashy ride and tramlining, these are ideal

13" wheels are used extensively throughout motorsport. I can't see supply being an issue

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.