Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sylva J15 mirrors - HELP!
Paul AS

posted on 6/2/13 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sylva J15 mirrors - HELP!

Help!!

I am at the stage of fitting mirrors to my J15. Jeremy has used and recommends motorbike mirrors from a Yamaha YZFR as they have a two bolt mounting making them very stable, a rubber boot for all those super dangerous edges, appropriately radiused edges and a nice long stalk to get them outside the car, looking over and around the rear body, and a retractable base so that we don't kill any low flying pedestrians - all sounds good so far!

Problem - there are 6 different versions of this mirror!! 3 have 80 mm stalks and 3 have 130 mm stalks, so we only have three to worry about.

The difference between them is the angle that the base plate makes with the arm.

Jeremy was supplied with the right one by total luck. I was supplied with one of the other two (wrong ones), again by total luck.

Another J15 builder has the right ones, and another has the wrong ones. They are differentiated by the model year, and I don't even know which ones mine are because the supplier never asked the question!

There is a car on youtube with the tag J15builder, who is on this forum, who bought the right ones. I am hoping that you/he knows which version of the mirror he bought, and where he got them from.

There are other options of course, but this one is known to work, and has passed IVA.

Any ideas??

Paul

loggyboy

posted on 6/2/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
where are they mounted on the j15 that makes the angles so important?

Mistral Motorsport

designer

posted on 6/2/13 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Surely you use whatever you want.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul AS

posted on 6/2/13 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
They mount anywhere on the shoulder. That goes from near horizontal plane to near vertical plane, and anywhere on the curved bit in between.

Yes - I can use what i want but it has to go through IVA radius, field of view, possible retraction test if it sticks out of the external dimensions of the car and avoid the rear bodywork obsrtucting the view of the IVA testers myriad of cones, lines and sticks.

Its a lot easier to be sure of all that if it has already been done.

loggyboy

posted on 6/2/13 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cant get much better vaule than these:

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=166995

Mistral Motorsport

monkeyarms

posted on 6/2/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul, I'm J15builder on youtube

My mirrors are R1 2001-2003 off Ebay.

2000-2001 Yamaha YZF R1 MOTORCYCLE MOTORBIKE MIRRORS Black | eBay

they have an arm length of 5.7" from the old ebay ad i saved.

hope this helps.

theprisioner

posted on 6/2/13 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some of these 2X Oval Matt Black Casing Mirrors for Yamaha YZF R1 R6 Pair | eBay
2X Oval Matt Black Casing Mirrors for Yamaha YZF R1 R6 Pair
I have just measured them and they are 5.5" from ball to bolt. I have not attempted to mount them yet. They look fiendisly difficult to get the right location never mind the correct plate angle. I have read some stories about kit car users mounting them first time in the wrong place. These mirrors do not have any safety/standards markings like the others quoted on this thread. They do have a spring loaded fixing in the event of hitting something I guess. The rubber boot at the bottom is well designed. I can take more pictures if requested.

I would appreciate a template but in any event I am going to set up some cones in the driveway if I cannot think of anything else. The thought of fitting the wrong mirror in the wrong place horrifies me! Any other suggestions?

Paul AS

posted on 6/2/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that guys.

I've found my original advert for the mirrors that I bought and curiously it says 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003. Mine do look more angled at the base than yours so these are more likely to fit properly.

It does seem as though theres a lot of variation between the aftermarket suppliers in terms of description and actual specification.

The Furore mirrors look pretty good too and at that price, a steal. The single bolt fastening will be a big advantage if i want to change them afterwards!

Cheers

Paul

Paul AS

posted on 6/2/13 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Must have been posting at the same time.

Yep - these are they! If you've got lucky and the angle is right they'll be great.

If not, welcome to my world!!

theprisioner

posted on 7/2/13 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I would be interested in where you are going to site yours (distance from edges of to panel)?
Paul AS

posted on 7/2/13 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I've ordered another set from flea bay, the same as monkeyarms has already fitted succesfully. I'll compare them when they arrive and take any interesting comparative photos for the Sylva community mutual benefit and let JP know what I've discovered.

If they do fit i'll send out the measurements.

Finger crossed!!

Paul

deeceee09

posted on 13/2/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I can tell you these are NOT the right ones http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/yzf_1000_r1/06/picture/mirror_left_hand/ . I used these on my J15 and had to space them up to get a half decent-field of rearwared view. They did pass IVA but with JP's standard seat raised up bt 50 mm on the driver's side. The spacing caused two more holes each side and I ultimately wanted to mount different mirrors on the screen anyway.

New replacement ones now fitted so if anyone wants a set of the incorrect ones let me know. Hardly a professional sales pitch? The holes are now covered with stickers to indicate extinguisher and battery isolator per the Blue Book.

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

Paul AS

posted on 14/2/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, they are a nightmare and getting the right year is pure luck. The second set have arrived and are better, but still no where near right.

I've changed tack and bought the Furore single point mounting ones. They have arrived. They will do the job and give the correct field of vision etc. The only question is how much wil they vibrate, If at all? The mounting thread is not very long meaning that there may not be much/enough room for stabilising washers.

I will get them fitted and feedback.

Paul

Paul AS

posted on 18/2/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=3063.JPG

Some mirror pictures posted on my photo archive.

theprisioner

posted on 19/2/13 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
What mirrors are they?

Manufacturer/ supplier?
Model?

Paul AS

posted on 19/2/13 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
The wing mirrors are from Furore Products

http://furoreproducts.co.uk/85-e-marked-mirrors-iva-ok.html

The centre mirror is one of Jeremys angled platforms and an IVA friendly CBS online one.

Paul

theprisioner

posted on 19/2/13 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I like the description E marking field of view etc not as nice looking as some of the others what the hell I need the IVA pass!
SylvaJ15-02

posted on 6/10/14 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I used the standard bike mirrors from Jeremy Phillips for the IVA and the car failed as the rear wing obscured the view (O/S line on ground at 10 metres) - but by modifying the stalks to make them sit at rightangles to the car body, the car passed on the second attempt.

I had a three legged mount for the "interior" mirror and this again was a fail. I swapped it for a Racetec mirror on a stalk which I extended and this was a pass

theprisioner

posted on 6/10/14 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you had a picky inspector cos several of us passed the IVA with the Furore mirror. Anyway congratulations on passing your IVA. I think your solution of bending the mirror was good now all you have to do is bend them back

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Jenko

posted on 10/10/14 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SylvaJ15-02
I used the standard bike mirrors from Jeremy Phillips for the IVA and the car failed as the rear wing obscured the view (O/S line on ground at 10 metres) - but by modifying the stalks to make them sit at rightangles to the car body, the car passed on the second attempt.

I had a three legged mount for the "interior" mirror and this again was a fail. I swapped it for a Racetec mirror on a stalk which I extended and this was a pass

My J15 failed also for the mirror view not getting over the rear wheel arches. I used these mirrors...they now have a 4 inch extension on them:

Click

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.