Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Missing Cylinder
theprisioner

posted on 17/2/13 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Missing Cylinder

I recently helped my daughter buy a repacement car, and as far as I could tell it was the same as the old (Yaris) car but newer, even the colour was the same. It came with improved this and that but frankly I find modern cars a bit boring so I did not pay much attention. The deal came with 3 years factory waranty and low milage, so fine, problem solved.

Having being driven by her recently I decided the engine was missfiring on one cylinder at low rev's and the engine noise appeared to improve at higher revs.

I put my ELM 327 ODBII and Android phone app Torque on to it and no fault codes came up. So I thought I will check the spark plugs, when I tried to find the plugs there were only three. No wonder it was missfiring on one cylinder the cunning designers had missed off a cylinder.

Just to confirm my worst thoughts I took it up the road, driving it like my Westfield of course, with the daughter in the passenger seat, she awas horrified that her 1L Yaris could perform like it did. If you never let the revs go below 4000 all the time and keep selecting gears it behaves like a normal car. The Yaris does hold the road very well I was quite impressed.

Later that night I was getting a lift to the pub in the same car and I remarked to my daughter that her car was exactly 1/4 of my V12. No wonder the engine note sounded funny!

coyoteboy

posted on 18/2/13 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Suspect it uses a quarter of the fuel too! There is something inherently freaky about 3 cylinder engines isn't there!?

r1_pete

posted on 18/2/13 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Suspect it uses a quarter of the fuel too! There is something inherently freaky about 3 cylinder engines isn't there!?

Exactly what I used to tell my mate about his Triumph Daytona Teatowel, and his Sprint Soft Touch.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Strontium Dog

posted on 18/2/13 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I love 3 cylinders, used to have a Laverda Jota many years ago and it used to wee wee on all the Jap stuff especially around the twisty's! Made an outrageously good noise while doing it too!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

Fred W B

posted on 18/2/13 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
First time I drove the new 3 cylinder Suzuki my stepdaughter bought it made such a odd sound I thought something was wrong with it. Felt like it had some "boyracer" mod to increase the induction roar.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

MikeRJ

posted on 18/2/13 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strontium Dog
I love 3 cylinders, used to have a Laverda Jota many years ago and it used to wee wee on all the Jap stuff especially around the twisty's! Made an outrageously good noise while doing it too!

The Jota does sound stunning, one of the nicest sounding bikes ever IMO.

Slimy38

posted on 18/2/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

I think my mate would argue with that, his three cylinder Corsa is more thirsty than his sons four cylinder version! Mind you, having to keep his foot to the floor just to maintain 70 is probably the main reason...

But I have to admit I do like anything that gets me away from the standard inline 4 arrangement. Considering that the desired output is rotary, having an engine design that is based on a 180 degree interval just seems like a cost cutting exercise rather than a proper engineering design. Even these tiny three cylinder engines seem better equipped to deal with turning linear motion into circular.

clairetoo

posted on 18/2/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I see my Corsa as missing half its cylinders..........any proper engine has two banks of three , surely ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

wicket

posted on 18/2/13 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
My eldest has a Citroen C1 and I was well impressed on a trip to Doncaster and back recently; he loves it to bits.
woodster

posted on 19/2/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Wife's got a fiat 500 twinair 2cylinder turbo now that little rascal punches well above its weight ... Great fun and sounds good
coyoteboy

posted on 19/2/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I see my Corsa as missing half its cylinders..........any proper engine has two banks of three , surely ?

Nah, you're missing 5/8ths of a proper engine...

[Edited on 19/2/13 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.