Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil level
Lola

posted on 20/4/13 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Oil level

Hi there just after so technical advice, does anyone know if you need to reduce your oil level if you shorten your sump. I have had an oil leak from the crank seal, I have had it checked and the seal replaced and I still have a leak. Does anyone out there have any ideas.
rusty nuts

posted on 20/4/13 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have a shortened sump on my Xflow engined car , the oil capacity is reduced but I still use the original dipstick and fill to the Maximum mark .
FazerBob

posted on 20/4/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Oil capacity should ideally be the same, but if in doubt use the dip-stick. The important thing is not to overfill. you are more likely to damage an engine with the oil level too high than with it too low.
loggyboy

posted on 20/4/13 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I have a shortened sump on my Xflow engined car , the oil capacity is reduced but I still use the original dipstick and fill to the Maximum mark .

As above.
My shortened sump was 0.8 litres less than the standard one..

Mistral Motorsport

OrangeJuiced

posted on 20/4/13 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
My sump is only about half a litre smaller. Original dipstick is not correct so I cut a new notch into the dipstick at the appropriate new max level.
umgrybab

posted on 20/4/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OrangeJuiced
My sump is only about half a litre smaller. Original dipstick is not correct so I cut a new notch into the dipstick at the appropriate new max level.

Not sure why the dipstick would no longer be correct. It measures from the crank to the top of the oil, which is the critical measurement. If you reduced the size and are still shoving most of the oil back in, then the height would be different but then you also risk bleeding through your seals, overheating, and foaming in the oil.

Dooey99

posted on 20/4/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
oil capacity isnt the main cause of engine failure its oil surge, if you reduce the capacity of your sump still fill to the standard marker on the dipstick but you should baffle your sump to help maintain the oil in the correct place so the oil can be picked up and circulated through the engine

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

britishtrident

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

eh ??????????????????????????????????

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

As above.
My shortened sump was 0.8 litres less than the standard one..

+1

[/I]

OrangeJuiced

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I may be wrong but I thought a 2.0L pinto takes 3.75L of oil (with filter). Sump reduced volume by 0.5L. I put in 3.25 into engine and after turning over settling etc marked the new level on the dipstick.
blakep82

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
You won't want the oil any higher in the engine or the crank can whip it up. If you're worried there wont be enough oil in the sump, then add some wings to the sides to increase the capacity, but don't make new marks higher on the dip stick, or theres totally no point in having maximum marks

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tomgregory2000

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I may be wrong but I thought a 2.0L pinto takes 3.75L of oil (with filter). Sump reduced volume by 0.5L. I put in 3.25 into engine and after turning over settling etc marked the new level on the dipstick.

Funniest thing I've read in ages.

No no no

It don't matter what size your sump is, it could be the size of a swimming pool you must still use the original marks on the dipstick

Dooey99

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Some engines are designed to have the crank splash in the oil in the sump to help lubricate the crank but if you have to much oil in the sump and the crank splashes in the sump to much or it isn't designed to splash in the oil in the sump and it does splash due to over filling it will decrease torque and acceleration dramatically and will eventually destroy the engine!

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

OrangeJuiced

posted on 20/4/13 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
The important length ie from the "collar" on the dipstick to the maximum fill notch hasn't changed so its not overfilled. The theoretically correct volume for my modifed sump works out with a fill line a few mm under the maximum so I marked it for easy checking.
loggyboy

posted on 20/4/13 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The important length ie from the "collar" on the dipstick to the maximum fill notch hasn't changed so its not overfilled. The theoretically correct volume for my modifed sump works out with a fill line a few mm under the maximum so I marked it for easy checking.

Your working on the principle the dip stick just needs to show the quantity of oil, it also and more importantly shows the max level.

The level of oil in the cars specs will be to the max line not min. You should be filling to the original max line and it will then contain the original specd volume, minus your sump loss.

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 21/4/13 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dooey99
Some engines are designed to have the crank splash in the oil in the sump to help lubricate the crank but if you have to much oil in the sump and the crank splashes in the sump to much or it isn't designed to splash in the oil in the sump and it does splash due to over filling it will decrease torque and acceleration dramatically and will eventually destroy the engine!

Yes the only car engine I have ever worked on had splash lubrication was Humber 9/20 built in 1926 an even that didn't scoop oil straight from the sump, it had an oil pup that continuously overfilled troughs below each cylinder that little scoops on the big end caps ploughed into. The natural pumping action of plain bearing helps draw oil into the bearing.

[/I]

40inches

posted on 21/4/13 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
The clue is in the words "oil level" not "oil capacity" leave the dip stick markings alone.

britishtrident

posted on 21/4/13 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I once encountered an A Series engine in a Mini that had been filled completely to the top of the rocker cover, it must had about 3 gallons in it.

[/I]

rusty nuts

posted on 21/4/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I once encountered an A Series engine in a Mini that had been filled completely to the top of the rocker cover, it must had about 3 gallons in it.

I once encountered an A Series in an 1100 or 1300 belonging to a little old lady who said it took a lot of water to fill up, she had filled through the oil filler

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.