Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Ignition Query
andylancaster3000

posted on 4/7/13 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Ignition Query

Had a misfire issue with the single seater at the weekend - fairly certain ignition releated. Its a pretty standard pinto engine and the ignition setup is a late spec (pre injection) Bosch electronic distributor using a DAB752 ignition module

I'd like to get another dizzy, even just as a spare if that's not at faukt. It seems these dizzies are a little hard to come by - would people in the know agree with this? If so are there any OE alternatives?

The other option is something like an Accuspark ignition module. What are peoples thoughts on these? They seems a little too cheap and I'm not sure whether I should be scared of running one in a competition car.

Any help appreciated.

maccavvy

posted on 5/7/13 at 01:56 AM Reply With Quote
I had accuspark in the original motorcraft dizzy that had vac advance locked out. ive now replaced with a new accuspark kit, dizzy ,leads coil etc. 5k plus miles without one hiccup.. spot on for price and customer service imo

Understeer , when the front hits a wall
Oversteer, when the back hits a wall
Horsepower ,how fast you hit the wall
Torque ,how far you take the wall with you

snapper

posted on 5/7/13 at 04:53 AM Reply With Quote
123 distributor seems to work well and can be programmed
Megajolt if your allowed

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mcerd1

posted on 5/7/13 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
what about that other ford module that looks a bit like an EDIS but has the vacume line connected ?

-

andylancaster3000

posted on 5/7/13 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for info guys. Not allowed anything programmable I'm afraid so that discounts megajolt etc.

I did actually find a source of recond Bosch distributors last night so I think I'll try that first. Failing that its sounding as though accuspark might be worth a shot. Plus they're cheap enough to be able to have a virtually full setup spare!

jacko

posted on 5/7/13 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/

These are the people i got my dissy from i have had no problems with it at all [ Its on a pinto ]
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mikef

posted on 5/7/13 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
This might be of interest, It is off of my Pinto / Westfield as I have fitted a Nodiz.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251298646280?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

MikeF

mcerd1

posted on 5/7/13 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/

These are the people i got my dissy from i have had no problems with it at all [ Its on a pinto ]
Jacko

they are very helpful guys to deal with too

found it: the other ford module is an 'ESC' used on some of the early 90's fiesta's etc with carb's - I found quite a few of these while looking for my EDIS4
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/5/viewthread.php?tid=105568

its not programable and needs a vac. line connected (a little tricky for mulit carb setups but dead reay for a singe carb)
I belive it runs of a 36-1 trigger wheel + VR sensor like an EDIS and fires the same type of coil pack - but unlike the EDIS it has a built in program and no connection to the ECU so only adjustment would be the position of the trigger wheel

at least thats how I understood it and a think a few folk on this site have used them before..... but I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong

-

andylancaster3000

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

further to my request above. Can anyone confirm what spec coil I should be using with this setup (bosch electronic dizzy). The coil in the car has a 3ohm primary resistance but the coil that has come with spare dizzy I have bought is a 1.5ohm.

I think 3ohm is correct but could do with clarification before buying getting another one!

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.