Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mx 5 Donor
Ajohnston_10

posted on 19/11/13 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Mx 5 Donor

Oryt folks,

Got a question for anyone with slightly more experience and knowledge than me.

I've been looking at finally buying the mx5 im going to be using for the donor car for my project, I've been offered a mk1 1992 1.6 mx-5 for 580quid, its got an mot untill january and the fella said it was running sweet, however it has 130,000 miles on the clock.

I have heard that these engine are pritty bullet proof but my question to you is, do you think this is worth the buy, is 130,000 miles abit too many?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers!

Mike Wood

posted on 19/11/13 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Keep the MX5 (as long as not too rusty) - Mk1 cars are bound to become collectible soon if unmodified and in good condition. Collect the bits for a Ford Zetec or bike engined project instead.

If determined to use it as a donor, do a compression test, look at the oil filler housing for mayonnaise and see if the oil is nice and clean on the dipstick (someone will remember what the good oil smell is). Old cars are really about condition, not total mileage - look for good repairs and high quality maintenance when needed. Is this a well looked after car? Any history? What are the rest of the bits like - gearbox, clutch, brakes, suspension? I guess your project won't be doing many miles - a Locost?

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 19/11/13 by Mike Wood]

Ajohnston_10

posted on 19/11/13 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply Mike,

I was always going to be using the mx-5 as the donor car as i have already built the modified chassis for it.

According to the guy selling it, he says he's spent alot of time and money on the car, and he has alot of recipts with work carried out, so going by what he has said its been well looked after. He said he'd advise an oil change before it gets extensivly used again. I dont know what the service history is like. Yes it's a locost project so no, it won't be doing a whole lot of miles.

Cheers,

ianm67

posted on 19/11/13 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO, 130k on a 1.6 MX5 wouldn't concern me if its had regular servicing. I have a '92 1.6 sat on my drive with approaching 100k on the original engine. It starts first time, every time, runs beautifully and performs well. They aren't an overly stressed unit so last well.

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

Slimy38

posted on 19/11/13 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Mine had done similar miles, and the only reason I can tell is the speedo and the drivers seat. The rest of the car could have had half that mileage judging by what it was like. The only thing I regret is that I bought mine as SORN, so I never got to take it for a proper run. I managed about 500 yards up and down the street while I waited for the car transporter.

If yours has got a bit of MOT, I'd definitely make use of it and get some miles done. That way you can know what you've got to sort out. The price is about right, I paid £440 for my 92 1.6 but as mentioned it was SORN so it's going to be worth less. But I'd be happy to pay £580 for a road legal car.

[Edited on 19/11/13 by Slimy38]

Ajohnston_10

posted on 19/11/13 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help, exactly the answers i was hoping for.

Taking into consideration the help everyone has provided i think im going to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Thanks again!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.