Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil cooler position?
adithorp

posted on 14/2/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Oil cooler position?

Starting to fit my oil cooler and can't decide on positioning. In front of the rad' and close up to it but...

On the side with the fan behind or the other side? What do you think?

On the fan side gives longer pipes but allows more gradual bends.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Davey D

posted on 14/2/14 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
There is a lot of space in the Vortx nose cone, so i fit mine underneath the radiator. That way it gets its own undisturbed flow of cool air.

Fitting a cooler on its side so it has 1 port at the top, and 1 at the bottom is meant to be the optimum mounting position for a cooler, so fit it that way if space allows

rdodger

posted on 14/2/14 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mine

[img][/img]

bi22le

posted on 14/2/14 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Mine

[img][/img]

Thats a really deceptive picture. Follow the chassis rails and height of the water rad and its sitting behind it, look at the reflection under the water rad and its under it!!

Which is it?

I mounted my new rad only a couple of weeks ago. I did it up close against the back of the water rad. My thoughts were that it will get air flow and thats the closest place for it!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

rdodger

posted on 14/2/14 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
You are quite right!

It's below and behind it :-)

The oil cooler is angled slightly back at the top to miss the rad and goes up behind it by about 5mm.

[Edited on 14/2/14 by rdodger]

adithorp

posted on 14/2/14 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
It's got to go in front but fan side or not?

TimC

posted on 14/2/14 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
How have you decided to plumb it Adi?

rdodger

posted on 14/2/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Non fan side.

When the fan kicks in you don't want hot air from the oil cooler being drawn through the rad.

I bet it will make little difference but that's my opinion.

umgrybab

posted on 14/2/14 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Oil coolers should always be mounted in front of radiators. This is because the specific heat or amount of heat energy that water can absorb is so much greater than any other fluid. Essentially this means that the rad will expel too much heat energy for an oil cooler mounted behind it to then cool the oil sufficiently. This is why in vehicles of all kind the oil and fuel coolers are at the front, then the air con evaporator, then the radiator always at the back. I would put the oil cooler in front of the fan cooled portion as by cooling the oil when the engine is especially hot you reduce the wear damage to the oil and keep it slightly thicker which will keep cam and crank bearing clearances greater, reducing heat produced due to friction.
adithorp

posted on 14/2/14 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
How have you decided to plumb it Adi?

I'm using one of THESE (very nice) to replace the standard oil cooler (needs an R1 oil filter boss behind it and the bolt needs shortening slightly to fit) then an external Mocal oil 'stat to a Mocal HD cooler. All connected with Aeroquip style -10 fittings and hose.

jeffw

posted on 15/2/14 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
It will not make a blind bit of difference which side of the rad you mount it Adi....I would be tempted to mount it to one side and run a hose from the nose to it. Use something like this https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/oil-cooler-duct-for-13-row-cooler-with-mounting-brackets-ocd13

bi22le

posted on 15/2/14 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
It will not make a blind bit of difference which side of the rad you mount it Adi....I would be tempted to mount it to one side and run a hose from the nose to it. Use something like this https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/oil-cooler-duct-for-13-row-cooler-with-mounting-brackets-ocd13

I am going to try it behind the water rad as mentioned earlier in this topic but if it does not work I am going to do exactly this.

Anyone want to add comment regarding length of hose??

I assume the longer the route the more the oil is cooled but will this also drop oil pressure? Especially if rubber push fit hoses are being used like I am.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Oddified

posted on 15/2/14 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
My gut feeling and what i've done on my own cars;- 1st choice is to one side/above/below of the main rad in it's own air flow, 2nd choice is in front of the main rad. In my mind both the oil and water cool an engine but i think looking after the oil temp/pressure is more important and should be first in the cool air flow.

Ian

umgrybab

posted on 15/2/14 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Oil pressure drop due to longer pipes is negligible. You should get more off a pressure change from the oil pump having to work harder to pump thicker (cooler) oil through the bearing clearances.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 15/2/14 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
As another option, I stuck mine in a little side pod on the RH side, I was previously running a 19 row cooler behind the rad and oil temp was getting over 130 DegC on track, with a 12 row cooler in a little side pod oil never got above 98DegC even when killing it at Blyton park

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
beaver34

posted on 15/2/14 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
As another option, I stuck mine in a little side pod on the RH side, I was previously running a 19 row cooler behind the rad and oil temp was getting over 130 DegC on track, with a 12 row cooler in a little side pod oil never got above 98DegC even when killing it at Blyton park

any pics of this setup please

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 15/2/14 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I can't upload pics from my ipad but if you U2U me over an e-mail address I can e-mail some pics. It works so well out in the open air that you could easily drop down to a 9 row cooler or if you weren't using it for hard track use a 6 Row would be enough.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 15/2/14 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umgrybab
Oil coolers should always be mounted in front of radiators. This is because the specific heat or amount of heat energy that water can absorb is so much greater than any other fluid. Essentially this means that the rad will expel too much heat energy for an oil cooler mounted behind it to then cool the oil sufficiently. This is why in vehicles of all kind the oil and fuel coolers are at the front, then the air con evaporator, then the radiator always at the back. I would put the oil cooler in front of the fan cooled portion as by cooling the oil when the engine is especially hot you reduce the wear damage to the oil and keep it slightly thicker which will keep cam and crank bearing clearances greater, reducing heat produced due to friction.

Yes oil cooler goes in front of rad never behind for reason given.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

adithorp

posted on 17/2/14 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Having given it a good course of looking at, the best position from a packaging stand point leaves 1/2 the cooler in front of the fan.
Given that of the 3 answers to the question asked, one said in front of the fan, one said not in front of the fan and the last said it didn't matter. So 50/50 seems like a decent compromise solotion

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.