Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend a SIM card
steve8274

posted on 26/3/14 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend a SIM card

Hi all
I am after a SIM card for parents phone and tablet. They don't use them much and most pay as you go sims, you have to still pay a price each month which they wouldn't get the benefit from. Previously they where with ovivo but they gone out of business now.
Currently phone is locked to Vodafone but tablet can use any.
Ideally I am after a sim for the phone where ideally you top up with say £10 then you don't need to pay again until that is used up. Tablet just cheap as poss. Not much data required.
I have looked on web but can't seem to find anything that fits the bill so Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance
Steve

tims31

posted on 26/3/14 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if you have to top up each month, but Sainsburys are doing a deal at the moment of a free SIM and if you put £10 top up on you get 11p off a litre of fuel.

http://www.phoneshopbysainsburys.co.uk/save-on-fuel

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Slimy38

posted on 26/3/14 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Is giffgaff still going? They seemed quite cheap.

My t-mobile 3g dongle doesn't seem to have a 'minimum' login, I topped it up recently and my last top up was from 2012. Still seemed to work fine.

davidimurray

posted on 26/3/14 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've got rid of my contract and changed to giff gaff. Been brilliant so far, all the advantages of pay as you go while costing less than contract.

Gallery 1 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116893465324.130778.601005324
Gallery 2 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245243755324.181913.601005324&l=a9831a9319
Gallery 3 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440671625324.232627.601005324&l=3f0d42c523
Gallery 4 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490098255324.297598.601005324&l=efb083b7df
Gallery 5 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150244028550325.366987.601005324&l=583fd5cd3a
Gallery 6 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150550640070325.430417.601005324&type=3&l=fe779b358c
Duratec Engine Swap https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f " target="_blank"> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f

coozer

posted on 26/3/14 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Tesco do a good £10 contract.

Check the Tesco mobile shop..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/3/14 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
giffgaff works for me (you don't need to buy goody-bags, I just use it as PAYG).

Free to other giffgaff, pretty transparent charging and nice ethos. Data is expensive if you use lots but I run "Data Lock Lite" which limits it.

MikeRJ

posted on 26/3/14 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I use Giff Gaff as well. In most respects an excellent service, apart from their carrier which is O2 who have pretty dire 3G coverage.

[Edited on 26/3/14 by MikeRJ]

Scuzzle

posted on 26/3/14 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've been with Ovivo for 6 months now and was really enjoying paying nothing to run a mobile phone. I only found out this morning they had gone down the tubes. I was looking at the '3' sim card as a replacement. Their 3,2,1 PAYG tarrif where it's 3p per minute, 2p per text and 1p per MB of data looks like the best deal. You don't have to pay every month, when you top up it lasts until you use it all up.
I think I could run this cheaper than paying Giffgaff a tenner a month.

[Edited on 26/3/14 by Scuzzle]

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/3/14 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Asda mobile pretty cheap as a payg sim. Both of my parents use them.

trouble with tablets is that most sims bundle minute etc with the data.

steve8274

posted on 26/3/14 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the responses.
Will look into giff gaff sim and see how that will work for them.
The tablet has no USB so can't use a dongle. What is coverage like with 3? Could maybe use their sim for their tablet. 1p per mb seems ok. They only use for Facebook and General google searches so shouldn't use much
Thanks again

ravingfool

posted on 26/3/14 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Would definitely recommend taking a look at Tesco's offers.

I have recently switched to a tesco monthly contract which was the cheapest I could find with decent minutes etc.

I didn't want PAYG but I had a quick look at what they offered at the time and I'm sure it seemed very reasonable. With the monthly contracts you could choose exactly what was included in your contract - minutes/texts/data depending on what you particularly need and you can opt to go up to 4G at any time. Would imagine their PAYG should be similarly flexible.

(mobile phone contracts are a huge rip off but it looks like we're not ripped off half as much as people in some other countries; one benefit of a small island I guess! But there are a few cheaper options out there.)

chris-g

posted on 26/3/14 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at Samba mobile for the tablet, pay an initial small fee for the sim card, after that its free you just watch adverts to earn allowance. At one time you got the sim at a discounted price if you went through the moneysavingexpert.com website, not sure if that is still valid.
Not Anumber

posted on 26/3/14 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
giff gaff, excellent coverage from the O2 network in most places including Hsdpa+ fast data in some

steve8274

posted on 26/3/14 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again. Will go to tesco and check what they have to offer. Samba sim looks perfect. Very similar to ovivo like they had. Just hope they don't go under too
chris-g

posted on 26/3/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
With Samba make sure you watch the adverts on WiFi, you would very quickly use up the allowance you have earned by watching the ads over the mobile broadband. I have them on in background while I am doing other things.
steve8274

posted on 26/3/14 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris-g
With Samba make sure you watch the adverts on WiFi, you would very quickly use up the allowance you have earned by watching the ads over the mobile broadband. I have them on in background while I am doing other things.

That could be a problem. They don't have wifi/Internet at their house which is my they need sim. Suppose I could bring tablet here and watch some. How many would I have to view so it would last say a week? As I say, they only use it for Facebook etc.
Thanks

splitrivet

posted on 26/3/14 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
These guys are about cheapest for data £5 for 500Mb, 150 minutes, 150 texts use them for dongle and for calling abroad in the UK and for UK calls and data when in France (with a French sim)
They are O2 same as giffgaff and Tesco, cant seem to find Tesco's data charges.
linky
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/3/14 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scuzzle
I've been with Ovivo for 6 months now and was really enjoying paying nothing to run a mobile phone. I only found out this morning they had gone down the tubes. I was looking at the '3' sim card as a replacement. Their 3,2,1 PAYG tarrif where it's 3p per minute, 2p per text and 1p per MB of data looks like the best deal. You don't have to pay every month, when you top up it lasts until you use it all up.
I think I could run this cheaper than paying Giffgaff a tenner a month.

[Edited on 26/3/14 by Scuzzle]

You don't have to pay giffgaff £10 a month. They encourage you to buy "goodybags" but you don't have to.

You can just PAYG. I am not claiming giffgaff is cheaper (actually I think your 3,2,1 thing sounds great value), but I don't use my phone much and have spent ~£60 over the last 18months which seems fair value.

stevebubs

posted on 26/3/14 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Welcome-Join/How-long-does-top-up-credit-last-for/td-p/4718934
yewtree

posted on 26/3/14 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
All the big providers have a Pay As You Go Sim which you only need to top up when your credit is low. My wife has an Orange Sim and we only top up once in a blue moon as she never uses it. The Sims are normally free, just ring them and they will send you one.
chris-g

posted on 26/3/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve8274
quote:
Originally posted by chris-g

That could be a problem. They don't have wifi/Internet at their house which is my they need sim. Suppose I could bring tablet here and watch some. How many would I have to view so it would last say a week? As I say, they only use it for Facebook etc.
Thanks

You don't need to have access to the tablet to watch the ads, you log into the website from any computer located anywhere. Watching a full set of adverts (approx 20) a day will earn you around 70 mb. You can only watch a certain number of ads each day.
There is also a cash top-up option which lasts 30days, £3.50for 250mb, £5 for 500mb and £9 for 1000mb. Credit earned by viewing ads does not expire.
This is taken from the faq on their web site:
"On average, each advert you watch will give you 3.5MB of free data. This is enough to view about 10 web pages or to send about 30 emails. Over time, we’ll introduce different kinds of adverts and other content which may earn different amounts of free data. "

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.