Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: jag 3ltr clutch
mitch2b

posted on 15/5/15 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
jag 3ltr clutch

Hi all. Mate is putting 3ltr v6 from a jag in his car . But we're having problems with clutch.. everything's in. Engines running but clutch won't bleed... Master cyl is .7 . Pumps with little feel and locks ... Any suggestions guys ?? So near yet so far !!!

Mitch

jetskijase

posted on 15/5/15 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Howdy doody mitch! Sounds like a nice install, chatting with Steve last night. I asked , can you get the bleed and inlet pipe to slave cylinder mixed up?? As its all standard jag engine and box and Steve said when you release the bleed pipe the pedal moves but when you tighten it the pedal locks solid.

Oh and buy my nitrous you know you want it!!

See you at Tatton mate, regards to the tribe.

40inches

posted on 15/5/15 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
S-Type or X-Type? The CSC's are different, S bleed is on the bottom, X on the top. Is the fluid res above or below the box?
Should say that I have just bled my clutch, took a while but all is OK.

[Edited on 15-5-15 by 40inches]

jetskijase

posted on 15/5/15 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Dave, with you at 1230!
40inches

posted on 15/5/15 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jetskijase
Dave, with you at 1230!

That's fine Jase

mitch2b

posted on 15/5/15 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
well , he had engine out by time I got there, thing was, the clutch looked fully engaged, the fingers where up hard against cover,
when removed sprang back,
on inspection, it looks as the clutch adjusts itself, can this be reset or is a new cover in order, ( plate has been changed,)

only done basic clutches before, this adjustment type is new to me

Mitch

See you at tatton Jase, we all fine and ready to move

40inches

posted on 15/5/15 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't sound right! Do you mean that the clutch is disengaging when the bell housing is fitted? If so may be the CSC is kaput.
I have a complete S-Type clutch, DMF and CSC, can you put up photos of them all and I will compare.
When fitted together you can see the CSC and clutch fingers through the top port, that the hydraulic line goes through.
Another thought, is the friction plate the right way round? They are marked, usually, "Gearbox side" or "Flywheel Side".

adithorp

posted on 15/5/15 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Was going to suggest it might be a self adjusting cover. Basically they have a ramped ring that's pulled around by little springs to take up the wear; Result is the fingers don't come out as the clutch wears and the pedal feel stays light.
They can release the adjuster if you don't treat them carefully. By rights you should use a special tool (I've got one but it's never been out of it's box) to prevent that happening while fitting but you can get away without... if you're careful. They will also release if they're dropped in transit. Had a couple like that and it's the first thing we check now when ones delivered. If you look at the edge on, you should see the ramps. There's usually a paint mark across showing the starting position but if it's moved it won't be lined up.
With the tool you can reset (though I've never tried) or it'll have to go back to suppliers.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

40inches

posted on 15/5/15 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Was going to suggest it might be a self adjusting cover. Basically they have a ramped ring that's pulled around by little springs to take up the wear; Result is the fingers don't come out as the clutch wears and the pedal feel stays light.
They can release the adjuster if you don't treat them carefully. By rights you should use a special tool (I've got one but it's never been out of it's box) to prevent that happening while fitting but you can get away without... if you're careful. They will also release if they're dropped in transit. Had a couple like that and it's the first thing we check now when ones delivered. If you look at the edge on, you should see the ramps. There's usually a paint mark across showing the starting position but if it's moved it won't be lined up.
With the tool you can reset (though I've never tried) or it'll have to go back to suppliers.

Well! You learn something new everyday
So it would be advisable to change the friction plate and cover as a set, to avoid the problem described?

mitch2b

posted on 15/5/15 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
That's it adi ... Never seen one before ... Dave check when you fit... It did look wrong when we split engine n box today
jetskijase

posted on 15/5/15 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Heard through the grape vine it was the clutch cover, he replaced the clutch plate but not the cover so the cover sounded like it was adjusted to a worn clutch plate. As explained by adithorp! Well done that man!
40inches

posted on 15/5/15 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looked at my old clutch cover, there are 3 tabs with small springs pushing on a saddle. The fingers the springs are over have 2 marks,
which I assume are wear marks, my old one seems to have moved to the end mark, the new one is at the first mark. I think Adi is spot on.

mitch2b

posted on 15/5/15 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
he is,
40inches

posted on 15/5/15 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mitch2b
he is,

He's a legend in his own lunch time

david_l_perry

posted on 15/5/15 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi chaps. Yep, new cover plate on its way.

Seriously gutted as everything was completed and ready for rolling road yesterday.....

I found a few links on line about resetting the clutch cover, but the plate itself looked worn and advised to replace.....now...if I had only done that first......

Never mind, live and learn.

Mid life crisis made me buy a Robin Hood 2B, 2.1Pinto with ZX6 carbs - now fitted with a Jag SType 3.0 V6Loving it !

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 15/5/15 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
This is quite a good explanation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN3KMQOUU1g

I'd never fit just a plate and not the cover. Can't afford to be redoing the job for free.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

david_l_perry

posted on 16/5/15 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
Great Link. thanks for that.

Mid life crisis made me buy a Robin Hood 2B, 2.1Pinto with ZX6 carbs - now fitted with a Jag SType 3.0 V6Loving it !

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.