Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rude ParrrrrPPPPpppp!
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/6/23 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
rude ParrrrrPPPPpppp!

Hi,

On the old car the starter is making a loud weird noise when the engine kicks of, like it's not disengaging the dog and that's spinning so fast it's vibrating making a rude ParrrrrPPPPpppp!! I took it off and washed the cog in petrol but didn't take it apart, It's one of those those types that doesn't have a solenoid. I suspect the return spring and was thinking of re-tempering it after stretching it a bit longer. I didn't put any grease or oil on there as I heard that only causes issues. Any ideas? it's fortunately very easy to remove, you can buy new springs but I'm a tight git and only want to fix rather than replace stuff... Starting it on the handle is silent which is no surprise.

Thanks.

[Edited on 1 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 1/6/23 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
1. How much is a replacement (new) spring?
Seems like it may well solve your problem.

2. "Stretching" and and "re-tempering" old spring seems like a bodge (short term) fix that'll have you back in there before too long. Potentiallycause other issues along the way as well.

adithorp

posted on 1/6/23 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Probably needs s new bendix. It'd be foolish to just mess about with the spring.
chillis

posted on 3/6/23 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Most likely corrosion or dirt on the shaft. Strip it apart, use some abranet to make sure the shaft and the inside of the starter dog are smooth, then rub the shaft (oh err) with a graphite pencil, my farther always swears by this trick to keep the dog sliding freely on the shaft.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/6/23 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
Most likely corrosion or dirt on the shaft. Strip it apart, use some abranet to make sure the shaft and the inside of the starter dog are smooth, then rub the shaft (oh err) with a graphite pencil, my farther always swears by this trick to keep the dog sliding freely on the shaft.

Hi last night, I dismantled and cleaned thoroughly the whole mechanism which was quite oily, even filed the teeth slightly and then covered it all in pencil graphite. Everything seemed really free moving and perfect. Sadly it has not changed one bit! rather disappointed so maybe it is something else??? Very strange as the motor does seem just fine otherwise.

A new one is - Price from: £280.00 each (£336.00 inc. VAT) so you can see why I want to fix this one!

[Edited on 1 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.