Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: File only
clbarclay

posted on 17/2/05 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
File only

Purely out of interest, has anyone ever built a chassis without the use of an angle grinder, I find them invaluable for flattening welds.

For instance, how on earth do you flatten some of the welds on the bulkhead behind the seats without an angle grinder?

The book book treats these problems like FU1 and 2, it just ignors them an hopes they go away.

ned

posted on 17/2/05 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
don't think it's a question of whether you used an angle grinder, more like how many discs did you get through

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 17/2/05 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I tried it once or twice, usually when I was working late at night and didn't want to upset the neighbours with grinder noise.
Generally I gave up a (a) it was hard work, (b) I made almost as much noise - the chassis 'rings' when you're filing, and (c) it was hard to localise the filing and I was damaging the chassis tubes - you can really localise the effect by working with the edge of the angle-grinder disc.

Another of Uncle Ron's generalisations!

David

[Edited on 17/2/05 by David Jenkins]

nick baker

posted on 17/2/05 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
.. or you could just TIG the chassis and get lovely full-depth flat welds.....
clbarclay

posted on 17/2/05 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, have you tried using a 9" angle grinder, just be careful though as 16swg stands no change.
3mm plate is devoured quick enough with by a 9" so any slip ups are magnifed... ooh er.

want2race

posted on 18/2/05 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
I saw a local store had 4.5" grinders for $9 each! I bought 4! Why ?

Well I have a dewalt which is the best piece of machinary.. But I am tired of changing the heads from grinding, to cutting, to wire brush.. so now I have 5.. 1 for each and some spares !

kb58

posted on 18/2/05 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, TIG welding avoids that, plus you have complete control of the height of the weld.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clbarclay

posted on 18/2/05 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure it does but you do lose control of the bank balance, its no use to me if its red.

[Edited on 18/2/05 by clbarclay]

NS Dev

posted on 18/2/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
I'm sure it does but you do lose control of the bank balance, its no use to me if its red.

[Edited on 18/2/05 by clbarclay]

love that answer!!!! I can't quite stretch to one either!!!

MikeR

posted on 26/2/05 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I know - but i wish you would
Simon

posted on 26/2/05 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I used a grinder for flattening off a few welds, but you could try a B&D Powerfile.

Reaches the parts a grinder won't!

ATB

Simon

clbarclay

posted on 26/2/05 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could try oxy-acetylene with a cutting tourch, it will reach any spot and is very quick.

On the other hand i think i might go back to the grinder, 16swg isnt the same as 1/2 inch plate.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.