Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Raw Striker
donut

posted on 18/5/05 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Raw Striker

Anyone know what these cars are like? I know they are good on the track but want to know ease of build, sva problems or anything else that is good/bad about them.

Ta

[Edited on 18/5/05 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 18/5/05 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've always liked the look of these, ever since they first appeared as the Sylva Striker. It would have been one of the options had I chosen to build a kit instead of a build-it-myself.
There's loads on the road so I doubt if there are any significant SVA issues.

It's a very small car though!

rgds,
David

ned

posted on 18/5/05 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
donut, i've got an article in a mag somewhere about em, they are small, similar size to a caterham but supposed to have a deceptively large cockpit..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 18/5/05 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
You're right about the deceptively large cockpit, this had been mentioned before by people. Acording to their website, they had a 6'4" 22 stone driver who fitted fine................so i may just squeeze in

They look very easy to build judging by the on line build manual. On 'Mad about kit cars dot com' there are 2 reviews and one chap built his in 3 months and the other in 4 months! If they are that easy i could use my 5 for the summer and be on the road by next summer in a Striker!

Need to do some more digging!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

shortie

posted on 18/5/05 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Well I fit in it no problems so you should be fine too Andy.

They are really nice cars and have a very good track pedigree, some people don't like the looks but alot of people do and I for one think they have a nice compact seven style to them.

Mel at RAW has always been very helpful when I have spoken to him and I know they have a good setup.

Cost wise the build I guess would be in the region of 8-10 grand depending on engine etc.

Alot of people use the Toyota 4age engine in these as RAW supply them aswell and I am told they make an excellent combination although I guess more expensive than a bike engine.

So you'll be building again then!!

Rich.

ned

posted on 18/5/05 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
4age is a good engine and good reasons for going for it (size, supplied by factory etc) I have seen an xe in a striker and am sure zetecs have been done aswell...

Ned.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/5/05 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Mind you, if I was looking for a kit now, I'd REALLY fancy the Striker's replacement, the R1ot, currently sold by Sylva

I'm sure that's a scream! (or the passenger will...)

David

[Edited on 18/5/05 by David Jenkins]

ned

posted on 18/5/05 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
David,

the riot is not a replacement for the striker, the rights for the striker were sold to raw and they are continuing to make and develop it. The riot and mojo are new designs from sylva who originally penned the striker. the riot and mojo are mid engined, loosely seven based, teh riot for bike power and the mojo for car power..

Ned.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/5/05 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ned,

I meant "replacement", as in "the small 2-seater they sell instead of the Striker".

DJ

Surrey Dave

posted on 18/5/05 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Not everyone's favourite to look at but , has won a lot of races over the years , so must be a well sorted good handling design.

Plus you can get all the bits for them , sidescreens ,tonneau ,hood.

They've really grown on me , that Green/ali one in your picture looks great.

Ben Smith

posted on 18/5/05 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Raw Striker fitted with a 160bhp 4AGE. The build is very easy with good technical support on the end of the phone! The cockpit is bigger than it looks. I am 6ft and often use some foam to move me forward a little. The wheel base is very similar to a caterham with shortened rear drive shafts. Get your self up to Raw for a go in the Demo car. I am only 5 minutes down the road from them if you want to look at my car aswell.
I am going to be building a Blade engined striker when I return from Lemans. So my car will be for sale from the end of June. There is a pic in my archive, will try and post some more tomorrow.

Ben.

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 18/5/05 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
good choice. i have a pic of one on the wall by my desk at work. really wanted to build one but did the sums and was out of my budget, hence locost. the chaps from raw were all really nice and helpful when i met them at stafford last year (or year before?), and they sent me a cd with the build manual - with pictures and everything - and a video of the build, speeded up. altogether seems a great package, and presonally i think it a beautiful car, always have done since i first saw it at stonliegh in '93, but my pops wouldnt let me build one as a first car cause he thought id be gone by the time i was 17 1/2. still have the original sales brochure and stuff, still inspires.
the striker is inspired by the 7 but definatly not a copy.
then again i do also really like the r1ot. im not a fan of BEC's, but read an article that said you can put in whatever you want, so think its an option. basically anything with a chassis by jeremy fisher (think thats his name - chap from sylva) and you cant go wrong - though the mojo has hidious bodywork.
or how about a fury?
whatever you decide on - think your on the right path. good luck

nre

posted on 18/5/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wheelsinsteadofhooves
then again i do also really like the r1ot. im not a fan of BEC's, but read an article that said you can put in whatever you want, so think its an option. basically anything with a chassis by jeremy fisher (think thats his name - chap from sylva) and you cant go wrong - though the mojo has hidious bodywork.

Jeremy Phillips is the chap behind Sylva. The Riot will indeed take car engines, the latest demo Riot has a 1.6 Zetec SE running the original fuel injection system. And as for the Mojo having hideous bodywork- well, that's a personal thing, but personally I like it a lot. But then again I did choose to build one! Most people do tend to agree that it does look an awful lot better in the flesh though, one of those cars that photos don't always do justice...

Neil

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

MK9R

posted on 18/5/05 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Andy!!! You thinking of building something else?? You can't finsh 2 cars before i've finished 1!!!!!

I've always liked these and was very tempted to get one rather than the MK. I wonder if i'd bought one of these i would have finished it by now???

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

donut

posted on 18/5/05 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, Seems a really good all round package to me. Hopefully they will be at Brands for the Total Kit Car day on 17th September so i can have a play.

Another concern is the amount of footwell space. I have quite big feet (you know that they say!! ) and the Indy was just big enough. Perhaps you could let me know Ben.

Austen: Have you 'STILL' not finished your car?!?!?!? I'm hoping for something special from you seing as it has taken so long Oh and i would like to point out that not only did i build the Indy but i also restored a Mini too so the next project will be my 3rd in the time it has taken for you to build yours!!

Andy

Alan B

posted on 18/5/05 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
....... I have quite big feet (you know that they say!! )........

What...

Big feet...big shoes?

rusty nuts

posted on 18/5/05 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
And big smelly socks?
donut

posted on 18/5/05 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
belly!!!!!

Andy

chriscook

posted on 18/5/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
My phoenix is basically the same chassis as the striker and I won't be able to drive it with 'normal' shoes on my size 11 feet - I bought myself some very narrow race shoe style trainers to drive in.

I think the R1ot is supposed to have more room in the pedal box which is allowed by the lack of bellhousing!

Chris

chriscook

posted on 18/5/05 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
if you've any questions there's a busy and friendly email list on smartgroups.com called 'sylva-chat'.

Theres a current discussion on the mojo vs r1ot.

donut

posted on 18/5/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that Chris. I too have size 11 feet but like you have narrow driving shoes so hopefully i'll be ok. Theres only one way to find out for sure!!

Andy

Ben Smith

posted on 18/5/05 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I also have size 11 feet. Usually just wear trainers allthough I do have some race boots for track days. I have once had to drive car in walking boots. This was not the most sensible thing I have ever done and is NOT to be advised! The passenger side is slightly norrower, but who cares about them!
I was at the factory yesterday and spoke to Mel about Brands. They will be there and should have a car on the track (20v demo car). Will try to make it aswell.

Ben.

donut

posted on 19/5/05 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for replying Ben, Sounds like i won't have to worry

I live about 20 mins away from Brands so i'll be there at the crack of dawn and i will book a trip out before the day as it will be MUCH easier for me to go to see the car at Brands rather than travel over to the factory. It's going to be such a good day

Andy

Jasper

posted on 19/5/05 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Andy - I don't get it - you didn't like your MK - why are you considering getting another Seven?

Save your cash and build something you really want.....

donut

posted on 19/5/05 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yes jasper but i then regreted it and wanted one that i could make nice with reasonable creature comforts. Maybe a Stylus RT will fit the bill

Andy

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.