Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Who else didn't build their car?
TimC

posted on 3/6/05 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Who else didn't build their car?

Is there anyone else here who strictly should be using a website called www.locostbuyers.co.uk?

I bought my car ready to go - limited time/space/skills and am finding ownership exciting if frustrating - few teething problems.

How have others (who perhaps don't know their car like someone who built it) found ownership?

*Edited due to shocking use of English!*

[Edited on 3/6/05 by TimC]

rayward

posted on 3/6/05 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I part built a car a few years ago,(got to rolling chassis stage), but had to sell due to house move, the car i have at the moment was accident damaged when i bought it, so i am repairing it, but am also building an race car for next seasons RGB.

Ray

barrie sharp

posted on 3/6/05 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Good post Tim .
I built mine but have often thought about if i ever sell how would a total beginner learn about my car .
one way would be by putting all on a website like so many people have to keep a record.
another would be (like i have )to try and list where all parts came from and part numbers if poss in a log book that would be sold with the car.
They could always look on this site (great help when building mine)
These ideas would imo raise the profile of kit cars as a whole (how many people have you heard say I wouldnt want a kit car there made up of different bits).
It would be good to have some idea of what 'Just buyers' think of these sort of ideas
Barrie

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

GazzaP

posted on 3/6/05 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I bought mine as a rolling chassis with wiring in and dash in but since have had to strip it all out and start again as the wiring on the car did not make sense so i think i've spent as much time and money on it as i would have building it from scratch.

www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk

Ronin

posted on 3/6/05 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I bought mine three quaters built. Unfortunately I seem to have spent more time putting right problems and correcting mistakes than completing the car. Still I only paid £2500 and he gave me reciepts for £6500, saved myself a fortune.

[Edited on 3/6/05 by Ronin]

wilkingj

posted on 3/6/05 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have built the pervious Land Rovers (bought in bits). The County 12 seater, ther isnt much that I havent changed, including a new chassis, engine, box, back axle, etc etc etc.
The viento is all my build..

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 3/6/05 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
yup, my citroen ax came ready built

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/6/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
yup, my citroen ax came ready built

i suppose you get it ready built and it starts coming to peices - kinda a kit car in reverse

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 3/6/05 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
very droll steve, but quite true!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

phelpsa

posted on 3/6/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't built my car

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phil m

posted on 3/6/05 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
the great thing about this site is that it caters for all comers---ie--by the book builders,those who buy a kit --and the people who buy a ready made car

There are always purists who look down their noses at others, but thankfully all I have had from this site is encouragement , confidence and of course , the occasional piss-take that keeps us all sane and in check !

phil

Scubastu

posted on 3/6/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Well............

I didn't build this particular car, however, back in '92/'93 I did build one of the 1st Midtec Spyders. ...with a "manual" that really wasn't worth much (putting it politely).
The car's 1st outing was to the '93 Stoneleigh show...no problems.

When the car was 6 weeks old, I drove it to Le Mans for the week's build up to the race, on to Germany to visit my Sister, and then back of course. 1700 miles in 2 weeks.

The drive to Le Man's was eventfull... The last time the starter motor worked was as I left the ferry! Had to stop for fuel on the way... don't know much French, couldn't quite communicate "Can you give me a push please mate"!
Had to push it myself and climb in before it slowed too much to bump start! ...Did it on 2nd try!
...And we wonder why the French call us "Crazy English!"

Both gearbox mounts broke too, so I found a small log and taped it to hold gearbox in place. The mounts were later upgraded by Midtec.

I could go on and on but am wandering off topic.

Kitlooney1000

posted on 3/6/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I say, Fair play to every one who dares to be different. If you want run of the mill fun, go buy a brand name 2 seater sportscar, If you want real fun, drive something different. How many people can actually say their car is hand built, whether it is their own hands or some one elses.

Lew

Doesnt matter what Sh*t life throws at you, there is always some other poor bugger worse off!!!!!

phelpsa

posted on 3/6/05 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
All those Aston drivers!

Adam

Hellfire

posted on 3/6/05 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Aston's use some machinery now you know... Ford and handbuilt don't go together!

dave dickson

posted on 4/6/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking about this recently actually. Some people I have spoken to seem to think its "cheating" buying a ready-built car, which is what I am currently looking at.

The way I see it, buying a finished or prat-finished car is a good way to get into the kit scene and see if its really what you want.

I want to build a car, But I wonder if I have the patience and perseverance to build and finish one from scratch. The last thing I want to do is get part-way through a build and give up. Buying a finished or nearly finished car will allow me to see if a locost is really for me. If the car lives up to my expectations, I will be a lot more likely to build one in the future.

Buying a finished car not only gives you a taste of the driving experience, but pretty much every "finished" car would probably need some tweaks or modifications by its new owner to suit them, giving you a taste of the mechanical or cosmetic side of things.

CairB

posted on 4/6/05 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave dickson

The way I see it, buying a finished or prat-finished car is a good way to get into the kit scene and see if its really what you want.

Oi!! you won't make mnay friends on here talking like that.

phelpsa

posted on 4/6/05 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
A kit car or home built car is never finished. There's always more to be done.

Adam

andy d (rizla)

posted on 4/6/05 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
mine was a factory built car,but as im sure you will all agree,it dont matter who builds it a kit car is never finished,you always want to add this modify that etc
tks

posted on 8/6/05 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
mhh

what garanties do you give an potenional buyer??

like i hear the cars fail often..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

DarrenW

posted on 9/6/05 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy d (rizla)
mine was a factory built car,but as im sure you will all agree,it dont matter who builds it a kit car is never finished,you always want to add this modify that etc

Well said. They are never finished as by definition they are toys / hoobbies. There is always something you can do to make the better / more individual. Not everyone has the skill / time / patience / facilities to build there own. Even if you buy you spec them up yourself.

sonic

posted on 9/6/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well apart from money,you buy a car with your eye's and ears

If you go and look at a fully built car and carnt spot a bag of s--te you probably shouldnt build one in the first place!!

If it wasnt for people buying fully built cars all you people who have built your own may as well scrap them when you loose interest as you wouldnt be able to get rid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have built two and bought a fully built one and to be honest i think anybody who owns one of these type of cars are all welcome and good on them

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.