Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bmw v12 project
erwe

posted on 6/1/06 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
bmw v12 project

After building a few seven (BEC) with a lightweight concept I'm starting a new project. Goal is a fun car with a good shape and a V12 engine on a tight budget. So I started with buying a complete BMW 750 donor car. I will use an Audi 6 speed gearbox from a S8.
First thing is to get the rough dimensions so I can start with the bodywork.
I would prefer to buy a complete set of bodywork but there is not much next to Lambo and GT40's (any tips?)
I am very enthousiast about the (round) shape of the Zonda so this is my starting point. Next thing is to collect things like windows and lights.
I could use any hints about the front (and other) window what to use.......

I will start on the chassis after finishing the body which is for me the most complicated part of the car. I do have some experience in building chassis so this should not be to hard.

Image deleted by owner

Image deleted by owner

Inspiration-1
Inspiration-1

[Edited on 6/1/06 by erwe]

[Edited on 6/1/06 by erwe]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 6/1/06 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a bloody great engine to go in.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Fred W B

posted on 6/1/06 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Erwe

I Have seen some of your previous work and will follows this project with interest. Seems you are not scared of work! Think there was a thread on here somewhere a while ago re a suitable screen. Have you considered a GT40 screen?

Cheers

Fred WB

rsk289locost
Junior Builder

Posts 61
Registered 24/5/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Resurrecting, slowly, a 289 Cobra I built years ag

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
The Lambolounge has a write up on a guy who mated a BMW v12 and an audi gearbox ( IIRC ) which may be of use. Your project sounds great. Not long ago there was a Chevron B16 (I think) shell on eBay which would have made a lovely special especially if you are after the retro style. Good luck.

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Engine/BMW-V12/BMW.asp

[Edited on 6/1/06 by rsk289locost]

rsk289locost
Junior Builder

Posts 61
Registered 24/5/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Resurrecting, slowly, a 289 Cobra I built years ag

posted on 6/1/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry it was a B8

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4587824500

andygtt

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I using this engine in my scratch build midi.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/andycanam/GTTpage2.html

Andy

please redefine your limits.

erwe

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Andygtt, ihad a look at your site some time ago, what body will you use?
I saw you had a post on Audi boxes, are these from the S8 series?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
akumabito

posted on 6/1/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a good idea to take measurements on the engine (L x W x H + mounting points, etc) for future reference?
dr-fastlane

posted on 6/1/06 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Why not a bodyshell of a old “East German” Trabant. They are from fibreglass and easy to modify. Trabant V12 sounds like fun to me!!!

Roy.

------------------------------
I have not failed once. I have successfully found ways that will not work!

https://www.motor-forum.nl/threads/hardtail-dragstyle-project.343482/

cornishrob

posted on 6/1/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
the newly bought pilgrim minotaur has a very large arse to it which is designed to house chevy V8's
andygtt

posted on 6/1/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
Maybe a good idea to take measurements on the engine (L x W x H + mounting points, etc) for future reference?

I did a basic dimension drawing for Geoff on this site and I've been asked for it by someone else.... so I'll pop it in my profile and post it up.

Andy

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/1/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cornishrob
the newly bought pilgrim minotaur has a very large arse to it which is designed to house chevy V8's

Like this one? Rescued attachment Exeter GTCar.jpg
Rescued attachment Exeter GTCar.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

andygtt

posted on 6/1/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by erwe
Andygtt, ihad a look at your site some time ago, what body will you use?
I saw you had a post on Audi boxes, are these from the S8 series?

I'm making my own body from scratch and I have in fact made a start..... I was working on the driver scissor door at the weekend and they are almost complete and are actually already on a makeshift hinge.

I have very specific needs for my car body shape wise, which is why depite there being plenty of mid engined bodies around I eventually decided to make my own.

Personnely I have no experience of the Audi box, all I know is from friends that are using it, one is mated to an M70.
Personnely I'm not as keen on them entirelly down to the fact that to get reasonable drive shaft angles the engine is actually 8inches higher than mine is with my Porsche unit.
Thats a compramise I wouldn't take... but then even a budget porsche costs 2-3 times as much to use compared to an average Audi install.

Andy

kb58

posted on 7/1/06 at 02:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andygtt...I'm not as keen on them entirelly down to the fact that to get reasonable drive shaft angles the engine is actually 8inches higher than mine is with my Porsche unit.

8 inches?! That's an amazing difference...

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

Fred W B

posted on 7/1/06 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
In my Audi 016 trans setup, with a ride height of 80 mm from the ground to the bottom of the sump/adaptor plate lower edge to the ground, the drive shafts run upward at 10 degrees, which is apparently okay for the CV's

Cheers

Fred WB
drive train
drive train

[Edited on 7/1/06 by Fred W B]

andygtt

posted on 7/1/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Fred, that picture is a good example especially if you compare it to mine on the previous page. In mine the table represents ride height of 140mm at the adapter plate.

My drive shaft angle points down at ride height.... but under 2/3 compression they go horizontal.
However its only really an issue if you are running large BHP and need them to be optimum for reliability and losses.

Edited to add that the std sump in the BMW adds over 4 inches to my dry sump setup.

[Edited on 7/1/06 by andygtt]

Andy

cornishrob

posted on 8/1/06 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
quote:
Originally posted by cornishrob

Like this one?

thats the boy, thats a beautiful looking car, with no spoilers i like the way on the back it starts falling away again, a bit like the back of a f1 car without a spoiler.

Wadders

posted on 8/1/06 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Minataur is nice, but what about side windows?
i dont suppose its possible with such a curvature. Same thing spoils the ultima, for me, a supercar should be fully functional and if your
going to have a roof, then the windows should wind up and down.
This is quite nice, although i'm not entirely convinced by the back end styling.
It also uses leccy windows from the corvette doner, which earns my vote.

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/gtmgallery.html

[Edited on 8/1/06 by Wadders]

geoffreyh

posted on 8/1/06 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I would like to know if that GTM windscreen is available from other suppliers. I've been contacting them a while ago and they told me I could not order it from them.

The Minotaur has definitely some pagani lines in it. If you have a look at the other pictures on their website you will see it.

Their description:
DOT front windshield

Is there anyone who can help me on this?

Geoff

[Edited on 8/1/06 by geoffreyh]

erwe

posted on 9/1/06 at 05:24 AM Reply With Quote
I think the Minotaur is a little overdone.
The GTM is a very nice car, but to much USA style.
I will have a look at rear windscreens on production cars to see if there is one wich I can use for front windscreen.
Andy, that difference in ride height is because the Porsche trans is upside down?
Do you have pictures of your bodywork?

andygtt

posted on 9/1/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect our ride height difference is purelly down to different appication/use.

I have set mine up to run 110mm front 150mm rear at the axle C/L's..... however for track use this will be able to be dropped a lot without effecting roll centres.

My body is hardly started so not really representative of what it will look like when complete. Its going to be a convertible with storable hard top, scissor doors, electric windows (hated this about my Ultima) and electric seats.... and yes I am going soft.

Andy

ettore bugatti

posted on 9/1/06 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cool project!
What are you going to do with the ECU?
How about the body of the Aeon 420?

An nice Z8 replica based on a Cobra replica chassis isn't an option?

[Edited on 9/1/06 by ettore bugatti]

RallyHarry

posted on 9/1/06 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
where would one find a Z8 replica body ??

Cheers.

v8kid

posted on 10/1/06 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
8" is quite a lot especially for a gearbox!!

The Audi box has the input shaft around 4" higher than the output shafts and the Porsche has the input shaft around 4" lower than the input shaft. A case of two 4's not sounding as much as one 8

Advantage of the Porsche is obviously that the CofG is lower with all the cornering and braking advantages but at a cost and availability issue.

There is a cheaper method. Turn a transverse box round by 180 degrees. Bingo the input shaft is below the output shafts the only bugger is you now have 5 reverse gears and one forward gear.

Hmm - easy! Reverse the CWP. Worked on my Renault UN1 box dunno about the Audi though.

Beware though there is another disadvantage the GOG is now so low the sump scrapes along the deck so drysumping is now required - at least thats what I have to do with my Rover.

Ah well a Lowcosters life is never easy - fun though!!

erwe

posted on 10/1/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I got some information about the EMS 8860 Sequentieel motorsport and the Stinger
http://www.emsnorthamerica.com/
The prices are from Euro 800 til 1300
Very interesting option is that it is upgradable with turbo!

I am looking for a windscreen, the Mazda RX7 1994 seems good to me, I have to measure it to be sure.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.