Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not a Seven...
liftarn

posted on 22/3/06 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Not a Seven...

The man with the silly ideas is back!

I recently came to buy an old SAAB 900 Turbo. It run very well, but it turned out to be way to rusty to pass the MOT. My plan is now to use it an a mid engine configuration. Because I like the design, that the angular shapes makes it (hopefully) easy to make in aluminium and because it just differs 8 cm in wheelbase from my donor vehicle (so I can use the same suspension without alterations) my choise if design is the Lotus Esprit.

The original Esprit is of a backbone design, but I'm planning on a spaceframe. Probably with a T-top so I get a roll cage integrated in the design. The Esprit is also a good choice since it uses many parts from more common cars like door handles from Morris Marina (a bit hard to find here, I'm considering Volvo 240 door handles), rear lights from Toyota Corolla (Volvo 740 may also look good), the side mirrors come from Citroën CX and so on. But what about the windows? Side and rear windows look flat so they can perhaps be manufactured, but the front window looks curved. Perhaps I could use a flat window there too or perhaps a Volvo front window would fit.

I need your input. Ideas? Suggestions? Rescued attachment skiss2.png
Rescued attachment skiss2.png

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 22/3/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

billy

posted on 22/3/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

DaveFJ

posted on 23/3/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
it may be cheaper to just buy an esprit if that's what you want....... seen them for under £10,000......

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

liftarn

posted on 23/3/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
it may be cheaper to just buy an esprit if that's what you want....... seen them for under £10,000......

I know and I have considered it (and DeLorean as well). I hope to be able to get it build for under £10,000 (but probably more than £250 ). The advantage is that I have the donor already (what I need is one more front suspension, but 900:s are dirt cheap). I also want an open car and a convertible Esprit is probably more expensive. Then there is also the problem of finding it.

But you could just as well ask why you should build a Locost when you can get a Triumph Spitfire for less?

Others have used SAAB engines in mid-engine configurations, like the Sniper http://www.granfoss.net/arne/k100e/bilar/carmakes/k1casnip.htm (the horror!).

[Edited on 23/3/06 by liftarn]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 23/3/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be surprised if your project would cost much less than £10,000 !

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

iank

posted on 23/3/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Cosmetically ratty Esprits with an MOT are around £5k-6.5 on pistonheads:

link

liftarn

posted on 23/3/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, can we drop the Esprit discussion?

My first idea was to use the engine where is used to be, in the front. And make something simmilar to the Eyerly.

But as you can tell from my sketch it became a bit front heavy. So I rethought it and decided on a mid-engine configuration. Since I don't like to work with fibreglass and I don't know how to make complex curves in sheet metal a Giorgetto Giugiaro inspired "folded paper" design was the obvious choise.

Esprit is just one of the inspirations (I could have said DeLoran or Maserati Merak, but Locost, Lotus... You know...). I'm not out to build an exact replica. For instance the pop-up headlight have to go. I live in Sweden (so Esprits cost a bit more than in the UK if we are to take that discussion), but this alsmo mens there is a requirement to drive with low beams (or fog lights) all the time so the car would look frog eyed all the time. I'm thinking more along the lines of a low fixed light (perhaps from a Mitsubishi, Toyota 323 or the restyled SAAB 9000) probably making the front look somewhat like an Aston Martin Lagonda. Rescued attachment skiss.png
Rescued attachment skiss.png

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.