Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiators
Alan B

posted on 22/3/03 at 04:39 AM Reply With Quote
Radiators

Guys, on another thread Terry mentioned that I might like to consider leaning my radiator backwards instead of forwards to give more nose room. My question is I have never seen done that way...has anyone else?, and if not, why? airflow perhaps?

Any thoughts?

I'll probably end up not moving it, but it would be interesting to discuss...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MattWatson

posted on 22/3/03 at 05:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think the reason is airflow. It improves the aerodynamics to have the air flow exit the top of the bonnet, and go over the car. However, since you arn't venting ala gt40, I have no idea if it matters at all.

Your only problem will be to seal the top of the rad as it will push air OVER instead of through your radiator. If the top is forward, it catches air and pushes it through, but if it is backwards, I don't know if it will just streamline the air over the radiator.

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ProjectLMP

posted on 22/3/03 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen it on a couple of race cars. Indeed I've seen radiators angled just about every direction: forward, backwards and sideways. I think the important thing is to have a fairing that ducts the air to the radiator and is sealed around the edges. Otherwise, the air will take the path of least resistance. Pretty much as matt said.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

Schrodinger

posted on 22/3/03 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Alan
I have a Tiger Cat (seven inspired kit) which has the rad tilted back although not too much and to get the airflow right it does realy need some ducting to force the air through the rad but it should not be too difficult. Another option could be to find a shorter & wider rad ?

Good to see the project coming on well

Keith

Alan B

posted on 23/3/03 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, good feedback.

So basically you can do what like as long as you manage the airflow, and of course the coolant flow too I guess.

Look's like I'll keep it tilting forward for now as I have got around the blobby nose look.

kb58

posted on 25/3/03 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
The secret is in the ducting, and the orientation of the radiator doesn't matter as long as there's a decent pressure gradient across it.
TheGecko

posted on 25/3/03 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with kb58 - as long as the ducting is right it shouldn't matter too much what the orientation is. For that matter you could (subject to resolving the air bleed issues) mount the radiator horizontally or very close to it, with air ducted up from under and exiting out the top.

From memory (it's somewhere in Korff's book) the rule of thumb for radiator venting is that, once moving, an inlet with 1/6 the surface area of the radiator is sufficient, assuming all inlet air goes through the core ie 100% ducting. I'll find the detailed reference if anyone wants it.

Radiators are in my mind at present as I finalise a revised nose for my car. Driven by suggestions from my last show-and-tell I'm building a new styling model (1:10 scale) incorporating lots of detail changes. Should be ready for initial viewing by the end of the weekend.

BTW Alan, congrats on the progress made recently, It's looking very close to finished in the bodywork department. After that there's just the interior and the elctrics and the instruments and lighting and exhaust and..... Should be done in no time

Alan B

posted on 25/3/03 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
......BTW Alan, congrats on the progress made recently, It's looking very close to finished in the bodywork department. After that there's just the interior and the elctrics and the instruments and lighting and exhaust and..... Should be done in no time

Er....thanks..:-).......
Not to mention finishing the chassis, cleaning and painting everything........yeah, no time at all...:-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.