Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: koni 30 series dampers
airframefixer

posted on 28/9/06 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
koni 30 series dampers

anyone have any experience with the koni 30 series damper.
JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 29/9/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Koni Dampers

I have the double adjustable version, but this also concerns the single adjustable.

To adjust them you have to fully extend the damper and then press in a button on top of the damper body and then turn the top eye. So this means you have to unbolt the damper everytime you want to adjust it.

I chose these dampers becasue they were the cheapest decent double adjustable monotube dampers I could buy (£300 each+Vat ) I also expected to leave them be once they were adjusted, which I have.

John

airframefixer

posted on 29/9/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
im thinking about getting the single adjustable ones for the same reason, cost mainly. im not sure what model thought as there are two fixed compression models available rated at either 3 or 4 with adjustable rebound.
the double adjustable ones would leave me with the most options, but at a much higher cost.

im building a mid engined BEC powered locost, target weight of 450-475 kg, and wondering which compression valving would be better?

any thoughts

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 30/9/06 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Speccing dampers

When I ordered mine they wanted to know spring rate and motion ratio. I was in the middle of the harder and sfter dampers so I ordered 2 of each. The hard dampers were too hard and I was at the lower end of the travel so I had them revalved to the lower setting.

Mine are designed for more race orientated cars hence them being a bit harder than my more road set up.

John

Alfalfameister

posted on 8/3/07 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to bring this topic up from the dead (well, it's just a few months old, so it's not really dead)...

I am interested in Koni dampers / coilovers, simply because there's a Koni dealer in my country (Philippines), and as long as I paste a Koni sticker in my locost build, he's willing to give a big discount. Plus, since there's a distributor here, my Koni purchase will have better tech-support/warranty/etc over Gaz, AVOs, or even ProTechs.

My build is just a regular "book chassis" build, with a Toyota 4AGE engine.

My question is, what specs of Koni dampers should I be looking at? i.e., what model number (length, valving, etc) of Koni should I tell the distributor to order?

I was just planning on the steel version (as opposed to the more expensive aluminum).

FWIW, I have a live axle at the rear...

EDIT: On another note, it's more of a track-day car, so comfort be damned.

Thanks for any input!

[Edited on 8/3/07 by Alfalfameister]

Alfalfameister

posted on 10/3/07 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone?
JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 16/3/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Speccing dampers

Da,pers such as the Konis are available in only set lengths. So get hold of the catalogue and find out what open and closed lengths (and thus stroke) are available.

You now have to design your suspension around these lengths, or choose the one that is closest to what you require.

I can not give a definite answer on the size.

As for valving. As I said above. I was asked for spring rate and motion ratio. So you need a guess at your spring rates. I got mine wrong and had to send 2 dampers back for a revalve.

I hope this helps,

John

Alfalfameister

posted on 19/3/07 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, JB!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.